Festering Wounds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It used to be 3/6/9, I increased it at some point.

2. Sokolov

Again, to clarify, you are talking global DAMAGE, not global EFFECTS. For example, Dark Favor is terrible... Divine Favor is ok? Or are both terrible?

3. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Dont think of it as the % of runes having global damage effects not increasing very much. Think of it in terms of decks, where its still limited by 30 slots. If a fw deck now packs 5 dark favor champs instead of 1, thats a huuuge increase

SaintKiwi likes this.
  4. Ballballer

I dislike global effects in general

SaintKiwi likes this.
  5. Sokolov

And when you say global effect, you mean stuff that affects all of X or Y, correct? Though I assume it also include things like the way the old Jabs/Ping used to work on deploy (or at least, you dislike those too, even if it's not "global" in the strictest sense).

6. Sokolov

That's only the case if the effect is overpowered for its cost and is therefore run specifically in many decks for it. Just because something is introduced doesn't mean it goes in every deck immediately. But it's true that there is a lateral powercreep effect going on with this sort of thing in TCGs in general. It sometimes doesn't matter if the new stuff is more powerful, it can make DECKS more powerful.

7. Sokolov

So if I changed the ST aspect so it didn't have Dark Favor and only Divine Favor, you'd still dislike it. Ok.

8. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

A) We used to have boon as sok already pointed out.
    B) What suddenly makes it worst now than it was before? because you had to deal with it 3 games ago?

A) Because That was how FW was designed? Outside of UD which can get 80% refunds or just kill a champion of choice with it's near death champs every other faction has a way they can just run their champ away and get back to full health

B) In the case of festering wounds you're paying 45 nora for it and people wouldn't use it if it didn't prevent healing. In the case of rabid the other DoTs that have some other additional ability Cost the same as rabid.

9. Ballballer

Well i mean
    Fw phoenix
    Psychic firk dude
    Strig warlock
    Mutant fs dude
    Eternal lich?
    Sl phoenix
    Witch girl in some decks
    Aoi in some decks

Are all run x2

SaintKiwi likes this.
  10. Ballballer

To clarify i hate dark favor waaaay more than divine favor. But i still dislike global effects in general, as divine favor spam is stupid as well

SaintKiwi likes this.
  11. Sokolov

You mean they are all run x2 in every deck in those factions? I can't say I have seen that to be the case.

Anyway, as I said, I am convinced that there's more global damage out there now and I may tone it down a bit. Though of course, we'll find something else to be a problem a few weeks from now. The cycle of nerf continues!

12. Sokolov

I made a new thread to discuss what mechanics are ones people enjoy playing with and against. If you could participate I'd appreciate it.

13. Ballballer

Ill participate tomorrow, i need to work on school right meow

SaintKiwi likes this.
  14. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

fw is already dead. stop trying to kill it.

15. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

So what I get from reading between the lines on this thread is that attrition shouldn't exist?
    Or should only exist as a bad choice that doesn't get played.

Mercer Skye and chris0024 like this.
  16. yobanchi

What are your thoughts on Decay?

What if festering wounds was AOE instead? would that fix the problem?

17. Sokolov

I don't think this is about attrition directly. I mean, if you outlast your opponent, that's one thing. Whether or not global damage should be part of that equation is something else entirely.

18. yobanchi

The options to prevent healing are basically Decay (sucks ever since the 50% nerf), skull of decay, and festering wounds.

Out of those options festering wounds is by far the top choice for attrition because it adequately puts pressure on the opponent and helps prevent healing for a few hopefully key rounds.

The main difference between festering and a standard AOE spell is that you need to setup and wear down the enemy and not use it as a finisher. In that respect the enemy gets to use their champs and deploy counters/react. You don't have that luxury with AOE spells beyond a few sparse counters which also happen to counter wounds as well.

Netherzen likes this.
  19. yobanchi

Saying this I do recognize that festering wounds has become more easy and effective to use due to:

1) the removal of boon and construct immunities means it doesn't become a dead slot and you can safely run it x2 against everything except maybe zombies.
    2) the change to unholy tomb has made it less of a tempo hit to trigger that global damage. In my opinion this interaction is what is keeping tomb as a staple.

20. Netherzen

Netherzen I need me some PIE!

Its also the best form of detection/anti stealth FW has currently.