Fire bg ideas?

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Amberite, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Amberite

Amberite The King of Potatoes

Hey guys what would a UD fire bg look like post-revamp? I'm having Grimlic, 2x caverunners, 2x deep elf summoners, 2x ember wasp, 2x summon borghas. Would be interested in seeing a bomb (mainly), amp and acolyte bgs please.

2. vipoid

vipoid I need me some PIE!

I've recently been trying to construct a Fire BG too. Mine is relatively untested (so far I've just been messing around in the single-player missions), but here it is:

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/C4=cojcfVC6-c8dC8aCdIc60Cbc99c5=s7as4@s7FS2ls86s21R3TrAr20e@E2K

A few points:

- I'm currently undecided over Fire Eater or Fire Acolyte on the Demon Liches.

- The Bok Raider is a very recent addition, as I'm just trying different things in that slot. I originally had Firemaw... before I realised how utterly terrible he is now.

- It might be worth adding another Ember Wasp - possibly in exchange for one of the non-champion cards.

- Not sure about the Scorched Dwarf... although Mason is certainly reassuring in a bg with 3 Scorn cards. :p

- I thought I'd try an Orb of Protection - hopefully Fire Acolyte might keep it alive a while.

- There are almost certainly better choices than Hate Leech... I just like the card. Realistically, I should probably replace it with Firelight Gem or Flameheart Pauldron.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

(I'm open to advice/suggestions for this bg, by the way.)

3. Pheezy

Pheezy The King of Potatoes

I run this:

http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/C4=cjBC6-C8dC8aCdIc60Cbc99c3Ms2vs4@s7FsOsAr2R3TrAr20eNe1Je2ge2K

I have 2 issues with this BG. 1) Lack of detection 2) Too much fire. I mean I get it. its a fire BG. But I can't find much alternative damage source other than demon lich. Would like suggestions on those.

I put fire eater on liches.
    I don't know much about bok raider. Never used them before. Too many 2 x 2 units gets a bit clunky on small maps imo.
    Ember wasp is a great unit because first it stealth's and with fire volatility, it acts like a Borghas. Also evasive gives it that little bit of survivability.
    I run ash maiden because of its 7 speed and high damage mainly. Its fairly priced. Also with that fire wall, you can have a bit of fun by walking back and forth to prevent enemies from engaging.
    Fire giants - tank with colossal. Simple as that.
    Dirtbags - good support. Blind + stall are fantastic
    Grimlic - grimlic
    devourer - this unit I think I might take out and replace with something else. At the moment, its only in there because of the amplification (I can get a total of 60% amp which might be excessive but its fun watching everything burn). So this unit may need replacing. Although, its nora cost is very good for a cheap handy unit, which was the reason I put it in this BG in the first place.
    Fireslinger - another unit I am considering taking out, due to its high nora cost but escalation proves to be amazing with fire amplified if it survives long enough.
    Nightmare - necessary unit imo because of trail: lava. Damaged units can run and hide behind this unit as they heal.

This is just what I think. Any advice or suggestions?

4. vipoid

That's a concern for me as well. Sadly, I can't think of any detection units that are even vaguely fire-themed.

Of the four detectors we have access to, which do you think would be the best fit? Shadow Master seems like a poor fit, but the other three all seem possible.

Well:
    - Nightmare has a physical attack.
    - I don't particularly like him, but Lower Beast of Sheoul has a psychic attack and also Fire Acolyte.
    - Firestarter has a phyical attack.
    - Nefari Dragon has a physical attack, and can have either Fire Eater or Fire Feed
    - One of the aforementioned Detection units could provide a physical attack

- Completely out of theme, but for a while I had Nefari Messenger for alternate damage - mainly because I'd just got her and wanted to try her out. She doesn't fit the theme, but she's quite self-contained and is fast with initiative. But, I found her too expensive to keep.

Yeah, especially with Abyssal Fiends being 2x2, I might end up taking her out.

Out of interest, did you run her with Fire Eater, or Fire Feed?

I often give mine the other Tinderbox (one Tinderbox is always reserved for Grimlic), to hopefully keep him around and healed up. But, I once tried him with Firelight Gem... that was just brutal.

5. Pheezy

For detection, out of the 4 units, no units are relevant in a fire bg, so it comes down to which unit "gives" the most? In that sense, I'd probably go with minotaur sentry. The reasons being it has survivability (evasive) and a ranged attack ability and its cheaper than a bok warden. The other two units with detection, I don't see anything that sticks out to me.

I will consider running lower beast of sheoul x2. Probably replace one devourer and fireslinger (80 nora) expensive compared to everything else I run.

Nefari Messenger like you said, is too expensive right now. We can expect modifications made to the nora costs later down the track.

For Ash Maiden, it really depends on you. I prefer fire eater, because I like having some source of heal in this bg. Also, it already has fire aura. But if you want more auto dmg to nearby units, go for it.

I don't run firelight gem but yes, i can picture insane amounts of damage lol.

Hope I helped ^^

6. vipoid

I think you're right. Although, one thing I'll mention is that Deep Elf Scout is very cheap (and can also be Shadowspawned - for invisible detection). Not sure if it's worth the trade off, but I think it bears mentioning.

My one annoyance (other than naff-all range) is that it's Spell Charged with Psychic Amped. I don't think I've ever played enough spells to even get the bonus - let alone keep it for any length of time.

I was actually thinking of the heal from Fire Feed. But, I suspect you're right - being able to heal it with Fire Bombs and spells will probably provide more healing and be more useful in general.

7. Pheezy

I have decided not to include a detection unit. Few reasons for this. I have enough units with fire aura. Secondly, spot aoe attacks through caverunner + grimlic. Then there is orb of protection (again, aura) and also, head of osarius which i am running 2 off. Then there is fire ruby and to top it all off, UD bonus helps if stealthy wants to get in my font. I have decided against detection.

EDIT: Updated bg:
    http://poxbase.com/#!/deck/C4=cjBC6-C8dC8aCdIc60cbCuIca8c3Ms4@s7FsOsAr2R3TrAr20eNe1Je2ge2K

8. caine1138

caine1138 Well-Known Member

Hellfires.

They offer solid detection, due to the large area of effect. I combine this with smoldering ashes, in handling stealthed threats. Since smoldering procs each turn, they are vulnerable till it ends, and if they live you get the nora back.

But...

Hekatian Fleshgrinder is a pretty solid antistealth rune, due to its aoe application of bleed(from activation).

9. Pheezy

So here is something I was unaware off but now, I'm glad I do, because this makes room for other champs and spells. So turns out that amplification is capped at 50%. I didn't know that. Just thought I'd clarify here.

caine1138 likes this.