Firk are amazing at the moment.

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by themacca, Sep 3, 2016.

1. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Sup guys, im aware FS players have been considering themselves to be a little hard done by lately. And i figured you mustn't be aware of how good firk are right now. so here's my BG now go out and kick some asses and ask me questions and raise my ego.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    IronStylus, Gnomes, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  2. Atherhog

Atherhog I need me some PIE!

Questions:

Sixul - worth it?
    Behemoth... I find he goes down like my mates momma

atm, I find there seems to be a "rushy" feel to the game. How do you feel "tanking" works with this set up?

3. ALemonAteHer

ALemonAteHer New Member

Regarding tanking. Please keep in mind I have no experience with piloting this bg but I assume if you are getting rushed you can take the paraform with NKD or void shield to slow the advance and punish with your ranged and debuffing stacking units. Also the stillwater mutants provide a good amount of anti tempo when you put them on the front line because the enemy is forced to ignore them less that trigger entanglement at half hp. Also a good form of tempo in your favour.

Fiannlly running a murk water madness or that spell that entangles units walking through could be handy while abusing your Superior ranged units.

-Lemons

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  4. ALemonAteHer

ALemonAteHer New Member

@macca what is the use of so many one ofs here? What fringe cases are each one best at? I see that you have 5 or so different front line units, do you have a specific idea on deploy order for each or are you still working out the most efficient?

Finally, is there any incentives not to just make this a psychic bg and less fuel? Why no extisplisers? They stack just the same a behemoth would with executors and fork mask doesn't care. You could spam more psychic blasts with jelle over minds and if you walk away from work you can introduce pure efficient alt damage... Say in the form of snap ancient that can shore up utility weaknesses as well?

Although I could be off base on this all :p

Let me know your thoughts.

-Lemons

5. themacca

Sixul has 55 hp defiant cleansing flame good damage and annihilate. He's just good at everything so 100% worth it.
    Behemoth is just a more reliable source of physical damage, mimic can't always be counted on.

Because firk are cool, jellebrium are not haha.
    Psy sentry is just for detection but on vegetation maps (i think theres 4 in the current rotation where he can be stealthed practically everywhere) he can really surprise people with sentinel and flanking.
    Executor is a really cheap ranged surged unit but if it gets engaged by melee its pretty well ****ed and will force you to use a spell to save it.
    Almsgiver swaps and healing. both pretty awesome abilities
    Paraform can be used to get around psychic immunities thanks to the fact that it's easy to give him frost damage and he's a good tank.
    Savant is for when you need magic damage and that's pretty much it.
    and diplomat it brilliant at stalling thanks to mindwipe aura and stall as well as does really good melee damage.

Regarding Deploy order you want to get 1 of your front line tanks out asap and then one of the mindcallers immediately. That psychic anguish will help you generate quite alot of nora. If you don't have mindcallers out yet for tanks priority should be Paraform-Sixul-Behemoth-Mutant

If you do have mindcallers definitely get a mutant out. Once you have your void shield units out it's a good idea to get out almsgiver as well. constantly touching up there missing health can really make void shield units difficult to kill. Unless there's strong anti range out as well get out your voidmages Asap once you have an established tank on the field

6. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Keep in mind I don't play Firk since a lot of time, but this are some feedback after several middle ranked matches I had.

The following are the ones I find the core of the strategy
    Auto include

Paraform
    U1: Crystallize to protect your vulnerable Firks, specially Mind Shredders, or stall for a turn.
    U2: Void Shield increases his durability a lot and taunts your opponent to waste resources on him, in fear of lategame tankyness.
    It's tanky and has 13 damage, very high on Firk.
    His weak spot is mobility. If your opponent manages to keep him away of his champs while threatening your weaker Firks, you will have problems.

Voidmage

U1: Teleport (1) because you rarely will be jumping all over the place with him, it's better to keep his high cost as cheap as possible.
    U2: Paralytic Feedback because he is too vulnerable to make use of Void Shield. You will more likely make him survive longer preventing double taps from range champions.
    It has high damage at maximum range, a super nice AoE that damages enemies only, and pulls 1 place. Useful for disengagements or mispositioning enemy champs.
    Since you want him as far as possible to prevent Melee abuse, he is a good candidate for Firk Mask.

Mind Shredder
    The unit your enemy will fear the most. It will be focused to death firstly than any other. It's damage output is predictable but constant and sometimes unpreventable.
    If you can keep him safe while dealing damage on each turn, you will be desperating your opponent and winning the mind game. If this happen, your oppoennt will waste a lot of resources on killing him, and you will have nora advantage.
    Keep to your advantage this mindset, and know that most middle ranked players will try to engage him fast with his best melee and try to isolate him.

Firk Mindcaller
    U1: Distract since the other options aren't good, and you can impede a powerturn against factions without cleanse at hand. Since this unit damage output is very poor, most of the times I choose my target just for the Distracted condition.
    U2: Initiative (1) because this unit isn't a threat at all and you won't make use of stealth mechanics with him. Instead, you can deploy and Distract a champion.
    Psychic Anguish is the ability that makes this unit autoinclude. Since Jellebrium Extispicer lost his damage output with the Hunter nerf, he can't render a lot of damage before dying, favoring Mindcaller range to keep him safer.
    Don't ever deploy two of this guys, and if possible, avoid opening with him since it's very bad at everything but staying behind and casually Distracting.

Stillwater Mutant
    U1: Hunter: Soultapped because it makes him more tanky and boost his poor damage. But Psychic Jab is good too.
    U2: Void Shield since it matches better his ability setup.
    This unit has average cost, but high HP compared to other Firks, it's tanky and molest a lot your opponent.
    Also it has 1-2 range which makes him versatyle in some situtations.

The following are good complements to the above
    Very good options

Almsgiver
    She slowly gained terrain as a healer and now, I believe she can replace the Snail without a problem. Needs to be tested though.

Firk Executor
    At least one of him is autoinclude for me since Mind Meld can boost up the overall ampable damage. But I use two of them since it has a greater range and lategame very good damage.
    Disclaimer: Back when I played a lot, it had Stasis instead of Lethargic. Dunno how much this changes things. It might be better actually, just requires a bit more of attention.

Neuromancer
    Good HP, good DMG, best range, Psychic Jab to surprise destealth and crowd control.
    It's only drawback is his Psychic Magnetism sandbag, and that is not a Firk, but a Boghopper with Cthulhu dreams.

Firk Soulthief
    I don't like this unit. Tried her and discarded her almost immediately. Doesn't promote the gameplay I like.
    Although I've read others did well as the times went by. The promoted build where Energy Thief + Pawn, and Restraining Aura + Paralyze.

Sixul the Worldender
    I would be honest here, I didn't play with him back then. But it looks good enough on paper after his upgrade rework. Flamestrike and Defiant seems the way to go.

The following are the ones I wanted to include but ended discarding
    Not good enough compared to other options

Firk Behemoth
    I really like this guy and want to include him every time, but he just doesn't worth his cost. Unless your enemy wastes his time dealing Physical damage to him, he won't tank enough to compensate his upfront cost.
    Firk Paraform does his job three times better. It tanks more, deals more damage, and has an optional alternate damage types.

Firk Botanist
    Another loved one that doesn't bring enough to the table. He's useful only because of Cleanse Aura (a very desirable ability in FS) but stalls your matchup hard if you deploy him early.
    With Firk Mindcaller already risking your early game, you cannot afford including another one.

Firk Diplomat
    It suffers a lot of his badly upgrades. Multiattack it's useless on him, and Annex doesn't bring anything to the table.
    On the other hand, Majestic (2) it's too costly and prone to be focused to death, while Stall cost him 3Ap to be useful.
    I've been using him successfully to control some battles, but if he's focused you will lose a lot of field control and suddenly succumb.
    Still very useful when you are obligated to engage early game, but not worth the gamble in my opinion.
    Disclaimer: Didn't use him much with Stall, might be useful for another kind of gameplay.

Firk Mimic
    Paraform > Behemoth > Mimic

Firk Mindbreaker
    Too much resource investment on a risk unit, when you need to focus on your forces and Amp damage to overwelm your opponent. Doesn't help the gameplay I see as the most favorable.

Firk Mindweaver
    I firking love this unit, but it's terribly underwelming. If only he had a bit more stats, it would be really nice.

Firk Prophet
    She's best for a Paralysed deck.

Firk Psy-sentry
    Too often she dies before dealing enough damage to justify his deployment. It can be amazing at powerturns but if your opponent is smart, you won't go far with her.
    Disclaimer: I've never used her with Paralyse or Stun, so she might be useful that way but I doubt it.

Firk Savant
    It would be amazing at 6Spd, but at 7 he is too costly and you will be wasting resources. Still, overpaying a bit you can make use of him.

Firk Sensorate
    It suffered a lot from the Tough cost increase, making him too costly. You will hardly make use of Vindictive earlygame, and without it this unit isn't a threat at all.
    Disclaimer: If somehow you manage to play very aggresively, something the Firk are terrible at, you should make use of this unit since with Vindictive active, he is very very good.

Firk Spellblaster
    It's very useful to trigger Void Shield on your own units to increase Magic Resistance, but otherwise you will suffer a lot since Firks has low HP and are overall very vulnerable.
    Disclaimer: Kind of a double edge card I could never make full use off. Maybe you can.

About Jellebrium, I find the good ones doesn't favor much the gameplay I see Firk are favoring, so I could never keep them static on the BG.

Anything else, not even worth mentoning.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  7. themacca

AHEM
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sixul is an amazing tank. And is good at everything
    Executor is a range surge unit who also buffs every firk
    Mastermind is..... cool i guess. If you run psionic impact you can bring about some serious hurting

8. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

I was editing the middle Firks, didn't want to waste all what I was writing on a shut down or something.

But Mastermind is underwelming on every aspect. Still on the unnamed category.

Also I will put down magic damage source since it's not detrimental anymore.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  9. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

I'm legit questioning all people, who run Firks and don't use TOME OF THE ARCANIS. Use it, seriously - Firks have so many wizards it's unreal. You slap it on a mindcaller and you can remove anything that is dangerous to your BG like wisps, psychic immune champs, arrow eaters etc because of metamorphosis. USE IT!

Qucas and Goyo like this.
  10. themacca

well there's only like 3 good psychic immune champs in the game.
    Mucker, Ironfist Inquisitor, Salaam.

Otherwise pretty much everything you use metamorphasis on will probs just get cleansed and you're out 35 (?) nora

11. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

It's a 30 nora equip that gives an equipped wizard (ANY wizard) metamorphosis, teleport 1, expedite (rune reveal on attack) and levitate (gives flying to chosen champ within 3 spaces for 4 turns). It lets you remove One with Nora, Arrow Eater and other nasty abilities. The equip has just so much value for 30 nora it's a crime not to use it.

Also using metamorphosis while not planning to 1-round something is a crime, Macca Macca. :p

Fentum likes this.
  12. Skullferno

Skullferno I need me some PIE!

You guys aren't even using the best firk melee unit.

*audible sigh* rookies

13. themacca

Mimic? not reliable enough

14. Skullferno

First off, he is great for meta. Also no, Diplomat. At 73 nora, annex, stall, 1-3 range, and mindwhipe aura 2. He is pretty solid. Behemoth is garbage and so is soulthief.

You should base your Firks around psy dmg and soultap. Also where are the hippos? Not running the hippo spell... smh

15. themacca

i am running diplomat though

16. Skullferno

You are also running Savant. Therefore you cancel yourself out

17. themacca

need magic damage bruh

Tweek516, Qucas and Skullferno like this.
  18. Skullferno

For what? You could've ran prophet at 73 nora or you know....not run some? I mean if you need a dispell Sixul has cleansing flame. If you need some alt dmg botta bing botta boom pingers. You can't actually justify running a Savant now a days.

19. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Zombies, voil, spirits, and skywings are amazing right now. Firk are not amazing, mirefolk are not amazing, snaptooth are not amazing, poison used to be amazing, and darkmarsh warsong is what makes boghoppers almost amazing. Yea not impressed with boghopper paladin losing protective, and spawnpool guardian summon getting dunked in the trash, aspect of growth turned into a pile of sht, and a myriad of other fs runes turned into a flaming pile.

20. themacca

prophet is way worst than savant mate.

beaten all 4 of those decks with firk