First Impressions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andralexis, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Molosse

Molosse I need me some PIE!

He's putting on his big boy pants?

Baskitkase likes this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

actually it's more or less this- some topics i feel (almost subconsciously) deserve or require proper grammar and construction or they don't get the right sort of attention.

other topics are more casual, and thus do not require me to talk so pretty. i've been doing this for a while now, i think this is the first time it's been called out though (sorta surprising really)

3. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Deflective reversion is not necessary, sir. I don't mean to insult. This is truly fascinating.

4. Emries

Emries Devotee of the Blood Owl

I'm going to guess he switched or resorted to a Mac system and it is auto-capitalizing his sentences :p

5. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

been on a mac this whole time. and no, bakki- talking about me and other similar irrelevant horsehockey doesn't quite merit the effort, generally

to me, anyhow

6. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- Back off knaves!!...this bounty is mine. Oreo come with me if you want to live...

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
    Dagda likes this.
  7. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Guys, you are overthinking this... let me tell you a story.

Not too long ago, there were this group of green owls that happend to have a problem:
    They had this game with 8 factions with 1300 champs total that had this known cancer called "Power creep".
    In order to save the game they needed to solve this with a radical idea and for that, they needed player feedback about their main factions(the ones they knew better and played the most) but everyone was too busy complaining about the other 7 factions.
    So they told themselfs "What could we do to make them only worry about their own factions?".
    So the little green owls had an idea! They would change every single champeon, they would overprize, overneft and overcost all of them!
    And in no time everyone was only looking at their own champs and giving "healthy" feedback to them!

Now.. do i really need to tell you where this is going?
    We WILL have our "and they lived happily ever after"

[​IMG]

Legato likes this.
  8. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Where did the values come from that were used by the calculator to produce a cost.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

was that english

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

so far as i know, all of the stats were assigned a value. some are additive as they scale and some multiplicative, i think. don't hold me to that. it's a simple enough thing to change around the values for the stats, i should think.

i'd also be surprised if this was a huge change from the cost calculator that had existed prior

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

The question I've been asking in about 3209483 different threads, and to which I've not yet received a direct answer is: Where/from whom do those values originate? It's my opinion that there are inequities within these values. Therefore, unless we are going to go over every rune and arbitrarily change nora costs, those root values are what need attention. That being said, even after the values are looked at and possibly adjusted, it may still be necessary to add a final human touch to each rune based on its combined kit, and other synergy/vulnerability factors.

Example: I'm pretty sure that utility of deploying GRE at 60 nora (due to taking the Vuln: Acid upgrade) is not equal to the loss of pummel and addition of acid vuln. The human factor would also tell you that a vuln on a construct is furthermore devalued because of the way the theme has access to toughening (tough, +1 def from boost) and that most supports are healers (masons).

Thats worth less than adding vuln to a champ that does not have access to those specific thematic synergies.

This example shows that a) values are supsect and b) there is a need for balance even if the values are not suspect.

Kampel and davre like this.
  13. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i thought this was made clear in those other however many threads, evidently not

yes. pretty much every single champion requires a personal touch. no matter the calculator you try to use. refining the calculator just puts you closer to where you'd hope the champion goes.

as far as where exactly the values originate, i can't fathom why you'd ask the pox community at large such a question instead of going directly to the source.

which is another way of saying that i don't know what the logic was behind any of the values. i don't know what the base values are. the guy that does is also pretty overloaded right now, and i'd think that if you wanted his attention you should've tried pming him or something. or at least doing that @username thing.

also, the values will always be suspect simply because even if you can figure out a "perfect" price for a specific stat, it still has to go on and interact with everything else in the champion's kit. the only real way to go about it in my view is to put the champion at the point where it will often be worth the cost, but has the potential to cost too much *or* too little. the middle ground. and i don't see a way to do that without a human touch. the calculator is still worth having, but just as a baseline, a way to establish approximately/vaguely where you want champions that have these characteristics to be

just my viewss

14. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Whats with forest giant he has to be the most powerful champ atm!

15. Sepulcher

Sepulcher I need me some PIE!

1) I only said that because it was the only explanation you provided. You dropped a bread crumb with the exponential stat thing, so I assumed you had more information about the mysterious, infallible price calculator.

6) So you don't want people to ramble on about the patch with the biggest changes to the game we've seen in the last 3+ years, after almost a year of little to nothing happening. I see. That's very reasonable. Can't tell if, by "whiny voice", you're seriously digging up that old comment about my actual voice, or just the perceived tone of my posts. I'm guessing you'll say "both", in predictable snarky fashion. I'm glad we could have this constructive conversation.

7) I'm glad you're having fun, because I'm having fun too. Nitpicking posts on the forums of a struggling game brings back a lot of nostalgia for me. I only wish caine were still around, our banter was far and away the most intolerable.

Anyway, I'd like to think we're all here seeking the brightest possible future for this game. Discussion of the changes should be encouraged, even if the inquiries are repetitive or ignorant of information in other threads. Alls I'm sayin'.

HEY REMEMBER WHEN YOU COULD DROWN SHRINES?

16. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

And you call me snarky

17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

18. Thbigchief

Thbigchief I need me some PIE!

- I believe he's actually "Smarky"... A combo of smug and snarky trademark pending

19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

simma down

20. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

If caine is the same UD Wasp caine guy, then I think he's still around. Shall I tell him you said hi? :p