Followers of Laerik, The Fierce - a guide to Lonx

Discussion in 'Savage Tundra' started by Pedeguerra, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Hello fellow Savage Tundra inhabitants. As you probably now, I'm Pede here on the forums and Warfoot ingame, and this is my faction of choice forever - after all, we are cooler than the rest.
    I play and have all ST runes, but for unknown reasons Lonxes have always been my favorite theme to play with - therefore, I thought it would be nice if they had the spotlight for now.
    This is a guide for people to better understand the Lonx playstile and come up with different bgs and tactics to further develop the theme and retain the beastly status the furry guys have.

The lore:

Below is a compilation of the flavor texts on lonx champions that reference their lore. I have my own take on things, but this is so people can all create their view on how these guys came to be.

"Despite their cold and unforgiving land, the Lonx were tenacious. They survived in the freeze with the help of their leader Laerik. It was his actions and his teachings that allowed the Lonx to thrive.

Azaren is the last remaining Shepherd of the Lonx, a group of shamans who were versed in the ways of the beast. A Shepherd's duty is to protect and guide the Tundra's natives to food and shelter.

Forged by a sect of Jakei artisans, the Lonx’s hammers are not only instruments of death, but also a symbol of the determination of those who live in the Tundra to protect their home.

We have spoken to their shamans. If what they have taught us is true, I believe we can bring their magic to our home.

The Lonx are solitary creatures, elusive to the eyes of most and skilled hunters. If you feel as tho you are being watched, its already too late.

The beasts of the Tundra that choose to be tamed by Lonx gain many things from them, such as the warmth of a fire, and care for their wounds.

Not all Lonx have joined forces with the Jakei for the betterment of the Tundra. Some do it for pay.

They've never seen a Lonx protect his home from invasion. They don't know savagery.

Lunacy. Do you ask the dragon if the lizard is its kin? No link exists between my people and the savage Lonx.

Though seemingly primitive, the Lonx have turned the act of hurling stones into a martial art. Many hurlers have mastered form, making simple stones into deadly weapons.

Though some claim the Lonx are savage beasts, few have survived against them to bear witness to the Luminary.

Queen J`orea knows nothing. If we are to fight, then everyone must fight together!

J'orea, you worry too much ... my Lonx warriors KNOW who their enemies are -- they would never turn against our forces.

Our finest guardians need no armor. A quick hand can block any blade or arrow.

We will strike as the Jakei do, with weapons made from the tundra.

I've seen them wade recklessly into a pack of Kanen and not falter until the last few are drowning in their own blood. These Lonx, they are our kin.

Don't worry...I won't need help. Once my pets catch the scent of blood you'll realize why no one fights with Gnark and wins."

My conclusion: Lonx, before the Separation, didnt exist as a race. They were probably snowcats that evolved into humanoid figures after the magic caused by the incident, the same way the elves got blue skins and became jakei after time passed.
    In that regard, thats probably one of the main reasons Lonx are seen as a savage race, territorialistic and wild. However, unlike the mindless Yetis, the Lonx developed a good relation with the Jakei, and by the time the first hoardes of undead reached the Tundra, they decided it would be a good idea to join forces.
    As time passed, Lonx also became adepts of magic, which opened the way for the appearence of individuals with higher intelects.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Tweek516, Leadrz and Woffleet like this.
  2. Pedeguerra

The playstile:
    Being one of the most aggressive races in Pox, lonx play out a lot like UD: in your face style. The lack of defensive abilities post revamp just emphasyzed that (even though I think sprinkling some evasive, reflexes, dodge or block wouldnt hurt). Lonx tend to have higher DMG than usual, therefore with 3 units out you should probably be one rounding champs.
    Do not try to play lonx by poking the enemy or letting the game go on for too long - you will find out that once some key champs die, the bg will run out of steam really fast.

Key Champion: (personal view)

Pros/Cons

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Tweek516, Leadrz and Woffleet like this.
  3. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

The Playstyle Section is pretty much finished.

Alakhami likes this.
  4. Pedeguerra

Ok @Sokolov bud, statements like these make me flip out a little bit, but here I go.
    The same thing could be said about many other themes out there, but since this is my interest Im gonna ahead and ask for the same "compensations" to lonx.
    So far Lonx has received a nerf that really hindered the theme (Camaraderie), not to mention Lumminarys nerf (but to a lessen extent, because 80 nora - not worth it) and Hammersfall nerf through Spur.
    Now, with the incoming nerf to Marauder, lonx have lost their only ranged beater, and the theme will be pushed a little more into the non top tier.
    Im really getting demotivated to write this thing, because if I wont be playing it anymore whats the point.
    We are talking about a theme here composed with (good) units ranging from mid 70s to mid 80s, they are simply not fit for the higher ranks.
    Should we expect some "compensations"?

Woffleet likes this.
  5. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Nowhere in that statement does it say I plan to buff Paladins like crazy. I am asking about opinions on whether Axe's statements make sense, and if so, how. No one had been discussing Paladins much in the IS forum of late, so I opened a thread to ask for additional opinions.

If you feel that Lonx needs buffs, I am certainly open to suggestions. Anyway, it seemed like this thread was going to yield some of those suggestions anyway, and I was looking forward to seeing what you think Lonx needs.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Creosoto and Woffleet like this.
  6. Pedeguerra

Ok bud, good to know. I will have it ready by the end of the week.

Woffleet likes this.
  7. Mausini

Mausini I need me some PIE!

As far as I remember Paladins have already been buffed like mad.

Just as a reminder:
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/patch-notes-august-18th-2014.7227/
    and
    http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/patch-notes-july-31st-2014.5634/

8. Pedeguerra

Yeah, I feel you man. Hipocrisy is one of the main traits of this community, and one of the main reasons why Pox is in the state it is at.
    People are so quick to call nerfs for things they dont play, and call for buffs for everything they play.
    Not to mention, when you have a good guy like Sok on the lead, people just tend to abuse his good will and ask for a basilion things, overwhelming the poor guy.
    I try my best to play a balanced game, but with the amount of noobs running around on the game, its hard to, because they make a billion crazy Firking suggestions.
    Its sad, really.

Woffleet likes this.
  9. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I have no idea how lonx are, but the typical "my factions stuff is more important than his" actually discouraged me in playing lonx.

10. Ramymanify

Ramymanify The King of Potatoes

Hi can a noob like me learn to play Lonx, it would be amazing if you would post a video or a simplified guide for someone just starting to play with them
    I got the core runes like Azaren and Lonx chieftain and Hammerfall + Juya so yeah the Tundra Lonx are calling to me, but I do not understand how to utilize them fully, yet
    Any help would be appreciated
    My thanks to you

11. Pedeguerra

I dont know about the video, but this guide Im making will be all about lonx playstile, how to play them and the different types of bg one can make.
    Just hold on tight!

12. Ramymanify

Thanks I can't wait :D

13. Cydna

Cydna Forum Royalty

I'm no pro ST player, but Lonx are sort of a buid up theme. Where as some are efficient in 1v1 battles, Lonx as a whole remind me of the IS playstyle. So pretty much you want to build up, but be aggressive if you can.

14. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

i started playing lonx too , still trying to figure out optimal build for my style .... But eager to see what yours is :)

Pedeguerra likes this.
  15. Pedeguerra

Sure thing, bud. Its coming!

16. Ramymanify

I recently made a trade to get Gnark, but then I thought maybe I should have got Throat Rend instead
    wanna know your opinion on that

17. Pedeguerra

Getting Gnark was good. He is one of the few remaining units on ST with 8AP of movement on first turn, has a ranged attack and can swarm. You have to play him with cautious, though, because of his high nora cost. All in all, he is a unit you can play in any stage of the game.
    Throatrend, on the other hand, is better used with AP gen around, because your opponent can easily position himself to avoid attacks, due to Berserker and all.
    But I would recommend running both in the bg. ;)

18. Ramymanify

Awesome, looking forward to your BG so I know which to sacrifice and which to get, Throatrend is a bit expensive, but if the BG going to be effective I might as well get one

19. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

Hey, quick question;
    Now that camaraderie has been nerfed, is Chieftain necessary? As in, could I make a successful Lonx bg without him?

20. doubtofbuddha

doubtofbuddha I need me some PIE!

He is still a good long-range option with relocate to give some reach. I would say yes.