Food!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Baskitkase, Jan 16, 2017.

1. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I don't know about him, but we only eat the florets. The stumps get used if I make some kind of broccoli soup since they get pureed in the process.

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Try putting the inside of the stumps in with the florets next time.

3. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Stumps/Peels = Stock
    Florets/Meaty = Eat

4. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Stumps are good. Limiting yourself to florets is a bit of a waste (not just literally, but also the different textures and stuff provides variety).

5. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Broccoli florets can be a tad squishy, I like tge texture that the stumps add.

6. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

7. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

8. MikeLin

MikeLin I need me some PIE!

Yah, dunno what cheese tho

9. xaznsoulx

xaznsoulx Supreme Dream Team 夢想 隊

10. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

[​IMG]

Grilled BBQ and Buffalo Chicken, grilled onion packets (bacon grease, salt, pep, garlic, paprika), mashed taters, twisted buns, cream corn

11. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

when'd you start cooking, baxxxi? was it mostly as a cost-cutting operation, or has it just been a hobby?

12. Sokolov

I find this sort of question weird because it seems like cooking should be the default, but of course for many young people it isn't a thing anymore and is more seen as a "hobby," and it's why things like Blue Apron get traction even though it's basically a ripoff for the cost.

13. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

My dad always did the cooking when I was growing up, though I do remember my mom doing all the baking stuff, like cookies and cakes and whatnot.

14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

especially for young american men, i think for a while cooking was something they were expected to marry into rather than do themselves. i'm not a huge fan of that mentality, but it's what i've seen

by comparison, when my parents met my mom (and all her siblings) had professional experience cooking, and her mom owned over a thousand cookbooks that got passed to her 2 daughters and 2 sons

my dad's idea of a self-prepared meal was to open a can of tuna and eat it with a baked potato

he's come a long way

(edited to condense)

Last edited: May 7, 2017
    Etherielin and SPiEkY like this.
  15. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Huh, interesting, I never saw/felt that when I was growing up. Both my mom and dad cooked as well, though each had their own specific dishes they'd generally do.

While I'd heard of that mentality somewhat while growing up, it seemed to be almost always referencing the past, and if anything it's diminished since (though it's been replaced somewhat by people not cooking at all, which is also weird to me but another topic).

Then again the US is a big place, so there may be many other locales where my experience was not representative of how it was for people there.

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. Sokolov

For me I think it's less upbringing and more that as we become more urbanized, eating out is a lot more affordable and more widely available. Culturally, eating out is also much more common as entertainment. Also, the fact that many more families have both partners working plus people having less babies are both trends that seem to push towards cooking less.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Etherielin and Ohmin like this.
  17. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Well my dad taught me how to grill. Got really tired of MREs in the USMC at one point and decided to grill something. Ended up doing it for everyone on a very consistent basis. The company commander got word on the effect good food was having on morale and financed my grilling somewhat (bought us a nice smoker, picnic tables etc). Made me feel really good to make others happy by making them food.

When I got out of the Marines I started spending alot of time with my aging grandmother. Cooking has always been centric to our family going back generations. She started showing me a lot of technical stuff and family recipes.

Now that she's passed I feel a connection to her when I cook and I never grill without thinking about my grilling for my brothers in arms.

I cook now because I love to do it. I can be dead tired from work but have no problem getting up and making dinner.

On the hobby side of things I'm always trying to learn new techniques and try new foods.

And apparently my food tastes pretty good as we often have people over (invites or not).

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  18. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

19. Alakhami

[​IMG]
    Moroccan Soup

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. Alakhami

[​IMG]
    Buckwheat Cutlets