Frightful Blows versus Counter Attack: Ranged

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Elric, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

So, my Hyaenid Houngan with Frightful Blows attacked my opponent's Rip Demon Alpha with Counter Attack: Ranged.

From my understanding, the Frightful Blows should make the Rip Demon Alpha Frightened, so that it cannot counter attack my Hyaenid Houngan.

However, this is not the case. The Rip Demon Alpha did indeed become Frightened, yet he still counter attacked my Hyaenid Houngan.

Bug?

2. Mursumies

Mursumies Devotee of the Blood Owl

Could also possibly be coded so that the steps taken when someone attacks are:
    1. checks and applies if the attack hits
    2. checks and applies damage reductions
    3. checks and applies damage to the target
    4. checks and applies death
    5. checks and applies counter attacks
    6. checks and applies other passive abilites connected to the attack

We just had a long long conversation with a IRL friend of mine about some weird coding when it comes to damage checks/order of things happening/being alive checks related to Hearthstone.

3. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

The first attack should be countered by the Rip Demon Alpha, since the Frightful Blow effect triggers after the attack itself, so after the first attack it should be safe to keep attacking with the Houngan, atleast thats how it used to work in the old client. not running any Frightful blow atm so not sure if its still like that but sounds like it.

4. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

I guess this depends on how Sokolov interprets it.

5. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Counter-attacks aren't anything special. In this case both abilities fire on "successful attack" so it is down to ordering of the abilities. Probably whichever champion was deployed first goes first.

6. Mursumies

Mursumies Devotee of the Blood Owl

In a way yes its not special, but then again counter-attack is a defensive ability, and other passives on attack are offensive, and defence is calculated before damage also in the earlier phase so it is either one extra step or it is based on deploy or something.

7. Capitulator

Capitulator I need me some PIE!

Are you sure that's how it works? If you mean defence as in the stat being applied to reduce damage, that happens long before on-successful-attack trigger (which is the last thing as far as I know).

Also in the earlier list you put check death after damage. Is this right? I thought it was only checked after all side effects fire, so a champion with counter-attack would get to respond before it dies.