Future of PoxNora Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KTCAOP, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Streea

Streea The King of Potatoes

I'll re-download the client then and see if I can finally play once again. I missed this game, so I do hope it works.

Etherielin likes this.
  2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Please Let me know on Discord if you run into issues.

3. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Ok addicts settle down. They’re just having a garage sale.

4. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

At some point they'll run out of stuff to sell lol

5. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

A tactital monsters rumble arena ripoff. Wrath vs Protectorate, only named runes, 3vs3 or 5vs5. Currency shared with OG poxnora[​IMG]

6. chickenpox2

I rather not see poxnora be "another" auto chess ripoff

7. GabrielQ

tactical monsters is not an autochess. it's a initiative-turn based game (like FFT where quick champions have their turn earlier) where you select three initial champions and then you can deploy another. you have ranged, melee, passive skills, on deploy effects, ultimates, etc. I think for a mobile tactical game is on point

8. chickenpox2

So basically it's just a shittier pox without the spacial skill

9. GabrielQ

Yeah, that's the point. you cannot play regular pox on mobile can you?

10. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

I thought the new pox was gonna by something like this, but darker.

11. chickenpox2

Give us something please!

12. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

A small % is still going to be the same % whether you have a million users or 10. That isn't how %s work.

Ppl would have bought lim recolors if the game recieved very minor tweaks every 3 months. Don't tell me there's production cost behind recolors.

13. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Here's what the math actually looks like:

Let's say you convert 5% of users to buying skins - which is reasonable if you are doing full scale conversions. Let's say this takes an artist a week to do plus some support overhead to get it into the game, so we can say about $2000. This cost is largely fixed regardless of how many players you have.

A game with 1 million users will sell 50,000 of these, at 10 bucks this is $500k, pretty good return on $2000.

A game with 1000 users will sell 50 of these, at 10 bucks this is $500... and you just lost $1500.

As you can see, while the % remains the same, the actual number of payers will vary wildly and have a dramatic impact on your actual profit from such efforts. This is why games with a large userbase are more likely to leverage cosmetics, while games with a smaller userbase are more likely to utilize other revenue streams.

You are correct in that the production costs of recolors are pretty low, but so is the conversion. People honestly don't really buy that stuff.

It'd be nice if they did, it'd be much easier to make money in games if that were true.

(Note: it's a bit different if that's largely ALL the product sells and it's a GREAT product ala Path of Exile, and that's how you support the team - but even then the "cool" stuff will do much much better, and that always takes more effort)

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  14. Bushido

If it takes an artist a week to change a color palette and costs 2000$ , you need to hire cheaper artists.

yuore likes this.
  15. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

You should try reading what I wrote again.

IMAGIRL likes this.
  16. Bushido

I don't actually have an investment in pox. Nor am I really trying to get into a pissing contest. Alls I can say is I have plenty of strategic finance experience (specializing in growing small business, >150m rev), and if it costs you more than 2k for a palette swap, storefront update, jpg image for portrait, and "implementation " cost of getting said unit into game, then yes ur business is destined to fail.

If I was a stakeholder in pox, and wanted to revitalize the game, what I would do is start an ico, and potentially link digital assets to NFTs, and payout devs in crypto. Really is a great time to own a ccg rn tbh.

17. Daggan

Daggan Administrator Octopi

Sorry its been so long since I have posted anything here, but there has been very little OG Pox news and i have been insanely busy. We have been working on our Onslaught prototype and have been ramping up funding efforts. In our discussion we may have found a publisher that would fund PoxNora 2 development for PC/Mobile crossplay. As things progress we will let you know. If things work out, the game would be re-built from the ground up with 3d units in either Unity or Unreal. Fingers crossed. We will be having investors take a look at things over the next few weeks (months?) so I may start a post on our website blog about Pox 2 and would love feedback. So far most of the investors we have spoken to over the last few years feel this game is too niche, and an expensive risk. One of the main reasons we've chosen to prototype a game like Onslaught was that it would cater to a wider audience, but would also allow us to create all the necessary assets to make a Pox2 on the side. To create the assets needed for a Pox2 would require a minimum of $500,000 just for the initial release set assets, so if we can get all of that for free through funding Onslaught that would make it more of a reality. To all of a sudden generate possible interest in a Pox2 is incredible and if that is the case we will shift focus to that.

If you want to help make this a reality, we need some activity to show there is interest. Visit our website, comment on FB, IG, etc. The only way investors will take the risk is if they see there is a demand from existing players. We would absolutely LOVE to make a Pox2, but it requires funding, which requires investors. Visit our blog and leave some Positive feedback (or negative if you don't want this to happen). Imagine you are speaking directly to the potential investors.
    Dev Blog: https://www.octopiv4.com/blog
    IG: @octopiv4
    FB: https://www.facebook.com/PoxNoraGame

I know everyone wants updates to the existing game but to be honest, the fact that the old game is still running and playable is a testament to Cortices shear force of will. After 16 years and several studios, it is beyond difficult to make even the simplest of changes. Everything being done is very time consuming and there is $0 compensation for his time. We talked internally about doing a Patreon to pay a designer and developer to continually update but the cost would be so high it's just not realistic.

Woffleet, super71, badgerale and 5 others like this.
  18. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Then why not let us do it? I talked to Cortices about the Build Server that's somewhere in Gedden's basement and there's a team of passionate folk ready to work on the patches for free with me to maintain the game's legacy and fix the bugs plaguing it. We just need the tools to be enabled to us.

Woffleet, XFurionsX, yuore and 5 others like this.
  19. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I would happily contribute to a Paypal / Patreon fund that fixes the Playstation oriented UI back into something respectable. I don't have a disposable income to put towards a monthly donation, but a one-off donation might be possible if the related work was targeted right.

You might make a list of possible changes and their associated costs, then let the community vote for what changes they'd like to see prioritized with a donation fund backing them. Work starts when fully funded.

UI Revision - $22,000 USD (I don't know costs...)

Community Fund - ($474.23 / $22,000)

@Sokolov You've got a better view of the behind the scenes aspects. Is the idea of compartmentalized fixes doable?

Edit: What are the logistics of bringing back the Single Rune Store?

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    RealGirl1998 likes this.
  20. RealGirl1998

RealGirl1998 New Member

Tnx for keeping us updated. I played Pox one year after its release and i keep coming back to it bc there is no game like it. And it amazes me how loyal the fanbase is. Imagine the amount of player waiting for Pox2. Its just so rich and diverse. The game has already been created, the hardest part which is the creative part has already been done. Its only the graffical update. The real reason i come back to Pox one week ago is bc i
    thought a lot about creating a game. But the more i thought about it, the more i saw how similar it would look to Pox.
    While pox 2 is not here, why not let @Etherielin do what he got do?