Future of PoxNora Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KTCAOP, Nov 3, 2019.

1. rutslane

rutslane The King of Potatoes

You have:
    1. a project you don't have time or money for,
    2. passionate folk who have time and money for the project.

The solution -- which is already partially implemented (the monthly patch notes are great) -- is to give selected project rights to selected folk in a way that results in temporal and monetary gains for you. You have already come halfway. The monthly patch notes are working, but are very restrictive in what can be achieved. The "community pilot" is working, now execute the other half-step and realize the full gains and use these gains in other projects (Onslaught, Pox2).

yuore likes this.
  2. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

This is a genuine question, wouldn't releasing the already finished next expansion cause a surge of activity that should last some time?

3. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

I don't mind investing money on pox, but remember you are competing against heavy hitters thats are 100% free, assuming that you get the attention of 1000 players paying 20$ a month will still not be enough i think, have you tried the asian market? china, korea, the players there are brutally competitive and they invest in online games, it's what keeping league of legends alive, why not get a 9th neutral faction based on asian mythology? just a thought.

4. Bushido

Bushido Devotee of the Blood Owl

That's a great idea. We should actually just directly integrate historical China into the poxnora universe. Where the middle kingdom is revealed to have been superior to the western kingdoms ( fw, is, st) this whole time, and the start of the western kingdoms came from spies stealing the culture of the middle kingdom, and the middle kingdom is not coming back to punish the spies, with the help of 12 dragons.

The middle kingdom bonus could be copy opponent bonus. And the font bonus could grant stealth to all units in the font.

5. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

Sorry, but Pox died not because of outdated assets, code, or whatever else, but only because of very poor business model and management, and I'm afraid you are going to make the same mistakes again.

You don't need $500k and a new client.

You just need to revert everything to the last state when the java client and tourneys were working, hire 3 remote webdevelopers at $3-5k/month to redo the site completely with a modern tech and all the missing functionality, dump all the remaining money you can scrap into marketing, and relaunch as Pox Classic, with weekly expansions and firkload of tourneys and events. All Classic mmo relaunches have been huge success so far.

I thought you'd been silent for all this time because you wanted to surprise us, but it turns out you've been essentially sitting on a collapsed gold mine for all this time, only willing to clear it out if firking Cellini rises from the grave and forges some masterpiece from your gold, instead of just selling the grains and dust.

6. Bushido

Koop
    Hey Logan, I agree with some of your assessment. The collapsed gold mine analogy fits 100%. Website is fine. Just make https and a few security updates. Put some double click ads on the banner as well...(poor management by DOG)

Where I disagree is weekly expansions (quarterly would work)

revamp store, release a few color swaps, and run some targeted ads on insta twitch etc...

7. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Word of advice, please on everything that is holy, do not do a pc/mobile crossover, playing any sort of tactical game on a phone is a nightmare and a pox 2 would be even more so. Also mobile is flooded with tactical f2p games, and a pox 2 would get lost in the shuffle, there are literally tens of thousands of games on mobile now. Other than that, best of luck and looking forward to any updates.

8. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Again, please re-read what I said because I agree with this statement and what you are saying here is not what I said at all. My point is that a cheap palette swap that costs very little doesn't actually sell well, and what does sell well is a full conversion skin which costs substantially more because it's basically a new unit ($2000). And that the % matters because even if the % stays the same, more players at the same % means the number of payers is bigger (which is the multiplier for your revenue) - that's how percentages work (instead of what you claimed where it doesn't because it stays the same).

There is a reason why such palette swaps tend to be regulated to freebies or event prizes rather than an attempt at generating direct revenue.

Generally not, especially not funded this manner. Too many things are tied together in ways that are not obvious, things don't generally cost what you think it does, and I don't really see that there'd be much interest to get the amounts needed to do the work here. That said, it's possible that people come out of the woodwork in large enough numbers to make it work financially, but that seems unlikely.

That said, I am not really involved anymore, so perhaps the question should be directed more at Daggan anyway as to whether there is appetite for such a thing.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

Unfortunate, thanks for the information.

10. LoganMkv

Pox desperately needs modern fast mobile-friendly db/deckbuilder/trader/etc.
    Then it needs the whole economy rework (affecting shards/gold/rewards/etc), and all the bells and whistles like achievements/stats/etc.
    Finally it needs a system to reward contentmakers and social players at least with ingame valuables. Other mmos nowdays often pay real fulltime salary to clanleaders ffs, while pox supports firking discord, which is pure cancer for small-playerbase games, cause it drains all the communication from forums and ingame chat, and potential new players see dead forums/chat as a result.

I can bet all my runz against a dead horse that those changes without touching the actual game at all would bring more impact than the whole $500k worth of assets.

11. Bushido

Pox 2.0 should be crypto based where you can trade limited runes on a decentralized network off the etherum 2.0 blockchain

12. LoganMkv

The context here was not current pox or pox2, but suggested Pox Classic - starting a new server with only core set available right away, and "replaying" all the expansions at faster rate.
    All runes and currency are not supposed to be transferable obviously, but it's good to give old players special "renown" currency depending on their original pox legacy, which can be spent on cosmetics or qol.
    And given that pox has unique possibility to have not only grind and real money paths, but also skill-based rewards, now add the renown and you can have one of the healthiest economies ever if you do everything right.

13. LoganMkv

I'm afraid you still don't get it.
    Once again, it has nothing to do with the current pox state, the current pox state has been always bad, and beyond salvation since soe stepped down. It should be clear to everyone by now, that pox has no value as sport, ccg, sandbox, or whatever else, it only ever had value as pvp-mmo. So relaunch it with a proper economy, and all the people who have abandoned the game or were impossible to convience to even try it would be there.

14. LoganMkv

Yes, except not exactly what they have now, but the latest version when the old java client and tourneys were working well. They may have agreement with sony to require the new client for the current game, but not for alternative version.
    The idea to start over may seem confusing if you are not familiar with other mmos, but trust me, I play a game which has been doing it for 6 years, and players are happy to pay for same stuff even twice a year if it means they get at least couple of month of active server instead of a dead one.

15. Sokolov

Specifically, the audio bug had to do with something that Oracle stopped supporting. It is fixable, but would require the audio part of Pox to be re-written... or, in the case of the new client, to use Unity's audio stuff.

But yea, things like Runescape has a much larger playerbase and as I mentioned, when you have a bigger potential playerbase, it makes a lot more things possible. The company behind Runespace also has hundreds of employees, is also flush with cash and in bed with a Chinese company who has even more cash and gives them access to Asian markets, so it all aligns well for trying things like that.

SPiEkY likes this.
  16. Bushido

Runescape Asian markets? Lol I don't think so.

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1397192706703695881

John cena on the other hand...

17. Sokolov

Not sure what you are talking about, but I am talking about Jagex (who makes and publishes Runescape) being owned by a Chinese company. Altho apparently they been sold, yet again, this time to a US firm after having been owned by two different Chinese companies.

18. Bushido

I can't imagine Chinese ppl playing rs, I thought that was what you were implying.

19. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

But is it possibly to attract players from China @Sokolov ? maybe translating the runes?

20. Sokolov

It's not easy to get into the China market without a Chinese partner. That's the real hurdle.