Game client performance issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ButterFaceGirl, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Transform a Mobile Game from Java to C++ is more than a month of work for 5 peoples.
    Poxnora is a decade old game. Do the math.

Cinder405 likes this.
  2. Cinder405

Cinder405 I need me some PIE!

They would be better off scrapping the whole code and just starting from scratch.

3. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

Probably worth it.

4. Kampel

You would need 50+ programmers working for 2 years to upgrade Pox to non-java.

I don't know if it could be made into a hybrid tho, or if in Java you can put "temporal loaded data" into a different foulder so it can be removed when entering the Lobby for example.

5. ButterFaceGirl

ButterFaceGirl Active Member

lol no

6. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but it would would be a pretty big endeavor since the whole engine is proprietary and written in Java.

7. Kampel

Is it?, well, it's a titanic task nevertheless

8. ButterFaceGirl

it's not really titanic.

2 devs, 3 months. probably less.

9. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

7 devs, only 2 of which are active programmers. It'd stop development for quite a bit longer than 3 months.

10. ButterFaceGirl

it's just a rewrite why would it take more than 3 months?

11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

It's base code. Base code is like the foundation of a building. If I want to completely change the foundation. I have to remove whats on top first. It's what the rest of the game uses to function properly. If they changed it, they'd not only have to alter the base code, but look at every line of code after that to make sure it and everything else is in place to prevent a needle in a haystack situation from appearing in the future causing further problems.

I use a lot of idioms to make my point here because I know very little about coding. What I do know is that changing base code of an already well established entity is a big if not huge endeavor.

12. Kampel

"It's just rewrite" xD

13. Hattivatt1

Hattivatt1 New Member

Actually it wouldn't be as bad as you think. Rewriting to other language is quite easy, if you know what to do. Of course you'd have to start from scratch, it's not like a project of this size could be auto translated even partially.

I could probably rewrite the whole game in 6 months, even without the source code. It's just that such a big database would take alot of time to complete. And when you add integrity with web site and other similar stuff, yeah, it'd probably take more than 6 months tbh.

PS. Solving some small problems this game engine has doesn't need a rewrite. A better and faster way is of course finding the cause for these problems and find a solution for it.

Kampel likes this.
  14. Leogratz

Leogratz Devotee of the Blood Owl

I am not a Java programmer or such, so, if I miss the mark really far, forgive me, but for the sake of Brainstorming, here it goes:

What if you Dogs splitted the matches from the client, and made the matches as independent start-close processes? If this is viable, it wouldn't take much more programming power since it would be just a "launcher" kind of solution, right?

15. Senshu

Don't forget all the testing that would be needed ;)

16. Senshu

That is a possibility, but there would be overhead just like the other idea. Also, that would be introducing several new points of potential failure.

17. Sealer0

Sealer0 I need me some PIE!

As does any other kind of programming which doesn't involve copy and pasta :/

18. ButterFaceGirl

That's not how software works. A fundamental part in software design is in making sure that each part is independent of each other thus modular i.e. you can rewrite the server software without altering the client software at all.

So a more apt analogy would be changing an engine in a car. You pull it out and put another one back it and everything else should just work. The foundation analogy works if you wrote spaghetti code.

19. ButterFaceGirl

Don't act conceited when you clearly have no experience with programming and software engineering.

20. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

As I said, I don't know much about code. Perhaps I meant game engine instead of base code? I don't know. I learn something new every day.
    Four different development teams, three different companies, two turtle doves, and multiple different programmers, on a 9 year service record. With they way the dev team talks about it, Spaghetti code may be the appropriate term.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016