Game Development Startup Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrCharles, Mar 14, 2018.

1. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

Just for fun how much $$$/Time/Staff do you think it would take to reproduce a game similar to Pox?

Maybe 1/4 of the runes 1/8 of the abilities (to start) and half the Maps. No Campaigns but with Tutorials. Otherwise assume it's got all the same features, similar AI, similar art/graphics/sound, website, etc.

Maybe even through in a working chat just for the hell of it...

fogandsteel likes this.
  2. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

hmm. 5 people, 8-12 months, 200,000$. ? no idea.

of course only if you already have all the assets of pox.

3. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Time and staff are correlated, if you want less time, more staff and viceversa.

Anyway i have no idea.

4. MrCharles

Assume you were starting from scratch. So all new artwork for runes, maps, sprites.

Forgot to mention that you could use an existing engine so you don't need to build one from scratch.

5. poxrooster

poxrooster The Pox Chameleon

You could start this up for the following.

$24k = 20 rune battle group - 4 factions - $300 per pic for low quality
    $100k = 2 contract programmers
    $50k = minimum self-salary as CEO and COO
    $20k = contract human resource services
    $50k = contract promo services
    $30k = software and hardware, minimal quality
    $275 = a decent start

6. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

The $$$ cost highly depends on how much ramen you are willing to eat, and how much iteration you will be doing or if you are just cloning.

Assuming you are paying everybody marketish rates - a game dev studio in a lower cost area (i.e. not San Francisco, etc.) runs you about 100k a head per year (some people cost more, others cost less, and this also includes cost of computers and other ancillary costs, not just salary).

In general, most games are going to cost between 1 to 4 million to build - anything less than a million and it's some rinky dink project.

~

So the question is, how many people and how long?

That depends on what you want to do.

Let's make some estimates assuming one person did everything and we are basically cloning, so very little design/iteration and you get most things right on the first try which isn't realistic in reality.

Programming Time
    Base Combat Engine: 8 months (this is conservative)
    Client: 8 months (this is for the player facing interface, this assumes a very basic interface with few bells and whistles)
    Backend: 8 months (this is for the server, databases, etc.)
    Tools: 3 months (you want tools for this kind of game or it'll take you forever)
    300 abilities = 9 months (approximately 1 ability per day, which includes VFX, audio, QA, etc.)

Art Time
    500 pieces of Rune Art = 240 months (approximately 1 piece of art per week, and includes sprite work and other miscellaneous assets)
    We'll pretend the map is free, and we also assume

So this would get you to a playable game with 500 runes and 300 abilities. This is of course a very off the cuff estimate, and realistically, even if cloning, you'd still need at least one designer, etc. but we'll ignore that for this purpose.

This requires approximately 36 months or 3 years of programming time, and 240 months of art time.

Which is about 15 years of total manhours, or about 1.5 million dollars at 100k per year.

Of course, you won't TAKE 15 years, instead, you will hire people.

So if you wanted to get this done in a year, you'd need 3 programmers and 12 artists.

7. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

So you are telling us that for pox 2 you need 2 other promgrammers and 12 artist. Noted

xaznsoulx likes this.
  8. MrCharles

Interesting my guess was:

$800,000 - $850,000 a year for 1 designer - 2 programmers - 4-5 Artists - Then Maybe 1.5 - years soft launch and full launch in 2.5 years. Initially Funding would be expected to carry for a bit after that so at a minimum 2.0 Million to carry plus another $200,000-$250,000 in Advertising.

I was way under on the amount of Artists (which makes sense) and maybe a bit over on salary.

Why skip the designer? I mean since that's your job and all I would be okay with you working for free and its very kind of you to offer. However since you got a growing family and all that to think about you may want to reconsider taking an unpaid internship.

9. MrCharles

I would also assume that on smaller project such as this the game designer would need to get there hands dirty with a good heap of programming and/or art design on top of everything else.

10. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

pretty kool post.
    @Sokolov

I guess if I could only ask 1 question(I have many) , it would be this:
    Is the game costly to keep running as is? Is it a drain on someone pocket, lending incentive to end it?
    Or is the amount to maintain the game, as is, so small that it doesnt have much effect on the overall status of the holder of the game?
    I know this is more then 1 question, lol, but I
    im sure you understand :)

fogandsteel likes this.
  11. MrCharles

I would guess that the cost of keeping it online is not extreme. I would guess they probably rent out servers and with such a low population I can't imagine it's burning a hole in anyone's pocket.

That being said if they aren't releasing anything new and there's no money coming in well then there's no reason to keep running the company into the red either. My best guess is that eventually Desert Owl will release at least one or two more patches and the next expansion but beyond that who knows?

12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

@Sokolov have to tried making a patreon pledge to revive pox give people stuff
    Put 1m as budget people who donate 10-30$ get a free LE/tourney tickets
    50-100 1 new expansion pack to 1 megabox for 100$
    100$ + get 1 additional megabox every 100$Or 3 tourney tickets.

Make tickets 5$ each after

13. Sokolov

I was doing a barebones clone estimate. I wouldn't recommend not having at least 1 or 2 designers for a game of this type in reality.

14. Sokolov

I am not sure, honestly, but in general servers aren't too expensive these days, relative to salaries.

bambino likes this.
  15. MrCharles

Well you should have thought of that before you talked me into this unpaid internship idea.

16. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

my issue would be the art and music, I could clone the game in maybe a year and a half in my off hours but I wouldn't have the money to pay for artists. thus you'd only effectively get pox the tron clone, or pox the childrens sketch theme, with black and colored lines heh.

my network experience is limited, I do a lot of back end work but I've only ever built one online multiplayer game, honestly I would expect that to give me some headaches.

anyway as fun as cloning pox would be, I doubt I'd have the determination to do it unpaid getting paid to do something helps me keep motivated, but I've long since moved past professional game development work which generally underpays, for more mundane software development =/

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  17. MrCharles

Yeah I don't blame you. It's insane the difference you can make doing essentially the same work. The reason I brought up this topic started when I was actually looking at job salaries for something completely unrelated and randomly decided to see what programmers make for video games. I can understand it as working on a video game sounds like a lot more fun than developing software that tracks data for a manufacturing company. Getting more people signed up for the latter should take additional financial incentive.

18. MrCharles

What online game did you build, calisk?

19. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

an iphone kart racing game that handled up to 8 players per session lol nothing i'd brag about, that was about 9 years ago heh.

I moved into software development and web development shortly after that, only game development I get to do now is 3 or 4 game jams a year but since I had a kid I don't even get to do those that often now.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  20. MrCharles

Yeah I got a couple of those myself. Alright so if your confident you could reproduce the game under the parameters we've established from a programming stand point I am going to change my guess to 2.0 years. Hell maybe we can just pay you 1 and 1/2 salary to get it done on your own i 2.0. That would shave some dollars off the bottom line. So between you and Sok's unpaid internship as game design I'm feeling like this thing could get done a bit cheaper than I was thinking.

Now we just need a way to find some Artists willing to work for peanuts.......maybe there's some kind of sweatshop that specializes in creating game art.