Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrBadguy, Aug 13, 2017.

1. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Totally agree with that point and here are some of my issues:

1. Dothraki's claim that no armour makes em faster and lighter but that makes them literally get ****ed by a fully armoured knight not to mention that their curved blades are the worst weapon vs a full plate armour .... (( the fight between jorah and the bloodrider in season 1 is perfect proof))

2. The easiness by which the lannister line broke is just sad writing .... anyone who knows anything about old warfare will tell you that a charging cavalry gets shredded by long pike infantry, I am less salty about that since the same concept was used in LOTR and thats my religion.

3. when Bronn saves Jaime from drogon he should have drowned there... anyone who disagrees should go swimming with a full armour and see for himself.

4. The teleportation is a real issue but I think its forgivable seeing that they only have so many episodes to wrap it up.

All in all its less and less like game of thrones now and more like a bad walking dead adaptation ..... honestly I dont think there is a single character I am rooting for at this stage... well maybe gendry but oberyn was the last one i actually gave a Bane Shift about.

also to the peter baelish point I think he is trying to get the starks to fight between themselves and he is waiting out the war of dany and cersei so he knows what horse to bet on.... I do however think the starks will know whats up and end up playing that dude and more specifically arya will kill him.

2. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

Yeah, but none of the Lannister army are fully armored knights. The only people there that were actually wearing a considerable amount of armor was Jaime, ****on and Randall Tully if im correct? Everyone else just had chest-pieces which accomplish nothing when you're in a battle against a full army of mounted agile Dothraki who will just aim for the legs and throat.

It does bring the question though as to why the Lannisters haven't invested more in training knights considering they know they will be at war with the Dothraki and Unsullied. Like the only people I recall the Lannisters have that are actually armored to beat Dothraki are the kingsquard/queensquard and they never leave Cersei's side so meh.

Edit: Also that nod to fans about Gendry still rowing was pretty great.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    MEATMAN and nepyonisdead like this.
  3. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

remember when Amory Lorch sent ravens with detailed Lannister plans to a Northern house?
    that's you, you are Amory Lorch-ing this.

Tully:
    [​IMG]

Tarly:
    [​IMG]

4. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

they did get chewed up but the line broke because it was on fire and the dothraki dismounted suicidally jumping over the line in large numbers. they lannisters where also at a significant disadvantage numerically.

but he did sink, Bronn pulled him up.

the passage of time not being clear is the real issue.

Dagda likes this.
  5. nepyonisdead

Yeah no I understand that the lannister army was ****ed anyways but dany should have lost a Firk ton of soldiers with that attack which may have happened but its not clarified.

Even my man Sir Bronn of house badass cant swim with a dude in full armour and a golden hand far enough to get away from dany's army

the passage of time is the only thing we can really forgive them on because of the limited number of episodes but they are wasting alot of screen time on plots that I cant be bothered with ((Sansa's story line is a snooze fest and Jon going and staying for 3 episodes with dany is just a waste of time))

Geressen likes this.
  6. nepyonisdead

that line was too funny xD

I dont get what cersei's end game is at this stage but I think she is trying to invite dany to a make peace but will kill her instead which lets be honest ... wouldnt be such a bad thing since dany is becoming her fathers daughter.

I was too pissed that they killed tarly... he is one of the best military commanders in westeros and the only one to beat robert during the rebellion.

Also I do wonder what happened to grey worm and the unsullied at this stage, and wtf is euron up to now.

7. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I didn't mind the dothraki destroying the lannisters, it was a surprise attack on a thin convey line, not to mention that there was a big dragon Firking them up. I would expect them to die quickly.

The dothraki - I'm no expert but those weird curved blades look like the worse choice for a cavelry weapon since they have no reach and would get stuck in whatever they hit. But, the historical parallel is that they are mongols - which is essentially a superior tactic around horse archers and light spear cavalry that could run rings around conventional European and Asian armies - so I don't mind just assuming dothraki are better fighters.

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the dothraki destroyed the lannisters because the lines got set on fire and the horsemen got to skirmish cavalry their hearts out. the one point where they show dothraki colliding with an intact lannister line, the line doesn't budge. the problem is that wherever the dragon went, the line Firking budged. it only takes one gap for the horses to break through and basically negate the use of the linne, and there were plenty gaps

also, why the Firk would you train to face dothraki prior to dany actually setting off to westeros if no one believes they'll ever come / there are closer enemies to deal with

this entire recent episode was basically fluff, fleshing, and foreshadowing. nothing wrong with that, just what it is. my guess is that davos and jorah both die before making it back south, maybe baric and thoros too. i assume baric and jon are gonna have a heart to heart about being resurrected at some point

9. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Just going to revisit this one to say that nobody bats 100.

10. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

hairline, breh

(i had the same thought, so i went back to check in slo mo)

11. nepyonisdead

EXACTLY .... GRRM makes his living by making people like a character and then offing him but at this stage its just too predictable for the viewers, having cersei blow everyone up in one go is just annoyingly simple. After the red wedding the show has been either too predictable or unrealistic and its only credit is the drama regarding certain characters rather than the plot itself

12. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Yeah I was also wrong about that part but I realized it earlier.

13. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

same as the Kims of NK,
    develop nukes because without them he will likely be invaded or overthrown and die horribly.

the nukes being more and bigger scorpions I guess.
    used to be undead mountain, then it was wildfire.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  14. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Both now that you mention it. Also Varys.

Geressen likes this.
  15. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

He has the Vale under his thumb, an army and in the books, he was hoarding food to re-sell it at a high price for when people starve in winter. He doesn't have as much political influence in king's landing anymore but he's not really devoid of power.

Geressen likes this.
  16. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

It's fun seeing people complain about realism in a fantasy setting with dragons, magic steel swords and 3 different kinds of zombies, face stealing assasins, dryad elves and dryad elf ice soldiers leading zombies.

it's written a hell of a lot better than most shows where people turn on eachother with guns at the earliest possible moments despite it clearly being detrimental to their own short and long term survival and where they would have gained better survival chances by resource and skill sharing than by conflict.

17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

For what it is worth I think it was wrong for the show to namedrop the blackwater rush placing the lannister army on the gold road in order to mirror how a cart of gold was burned there by the original targaeryen conquerors. this would mean they were travelling on the road from Lannisport and Casterley rock to Kings landing rather than from Highgarden and the reach to Kings Landing which would have taken them up the roseroad

If we place the battle on the Roseroad the rivers would be the Mander or the Blueburn, this would also allow the Dothraki to disembark near Griffins roost the place one of the multuple Targaeryen factions in the books ( it's not just Dany with a claim in those) was having their invasion.

this would only require the ships carrying the dothraki to sail into shupbreakers bay, way out of reach from Kings landing.

in case anyone wants a map:
    https://quartermaester.info/

you can also follow the characters yourneys in book or show form, Jon all the way up untill s7e3 , regions, and even nobility, you can see Winterfell change from Stark to Greyjoy to Bolton etc.

nepyonisdead likes this.
  18. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

it's questionable how "under his thumb" the vale is- if he were still at the eyrie with the young master arryn, he'd be much more influential. up north, he's surrounded by a bunch of people that don't like him at all. plus which, pledging himself to jon's cause means that his power level/command over his armies takes a knock

if he was stockpiling food, though, he'd be nearly invaluable

19. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Yeah. Pretty much all the Starks hate him and have little reason to keep him around except for the battle intervention debt. It would be extremely shitty if they're just keeping him around in the show so they can revenge execute him and he never accounted for such a scenario so he just goes out like a *****.

I don't believe this has been touched upon in the show so far so I'm assuming he's not doing it in the tv version.

I'll be able to watch ep 5 in roughly 48 hours. Can't believe this thing is ending in 3 episodes.

20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

There's still one more shortened season iirc. For me the pacing has been off. Just too many interactions feel rushed, especially big reunions.