Gaurded: voil

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by chickenpox2, Jul 8, 2014.

1. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

So i was fighting AI in legendary Trials of shatter peaks and i came to something interesting i was using KF as usual and the AI (being an *******) put 2 voil courtiers side by side
    it took no damage from rain of arrows and thorn collection and i had to use vortex to win
    which kind of stupid because there no way to beat it unless you move one away also using slam on 2 runes gaurding each other doesnt work
    guarded voil is broken

have a way to move away there no way to win so my suggestion is

Guarded: Voil should only be protect against only basic attacks
    OR
    Guarded: Voil champion takes 50% when adjecent to friendly voil
    also reduce the number of gaurded voil runes you don't need that many especially when u have voil gaurd who has both gaurded voil and bulwrak ability

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. PurpleTop

PurpleTop I need me some PIE!

If anyone in competitive play is running 2x courier they are already doing it wrong. They are doing it even more wrong if they have two deployed at once. They simply cost too much. Now putting two guards together I would consider a decent strategy, but they are such crucial runes to the theme that i wouldn't put the two of them out in the same area at the same time.

Essentially what I'm saying is that in a pvp game you won't face that same scenario. There will always be one that is available to be attacked. Attack the guard or whatever champ is next to the courier. And correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from the Voil Progenitor who no one uses, Voil Courier and Guard are the only ones to worry about

Yelmo likes this.
  3. chickenpox2

actually there are alot
    courier
    cavernkeeper

protect voil
    voil gaurd
    prognater
    protect voil is worse especially on 2x2 rune u can protoect 8 runes at a time
    especially when ur getting protected by bulwrak like admiral or voil gaurd also not nessary u can have one Courier and gaurd protecting each other

4. PurpleTop

Well I mentioned progenitor, and I also mentioned that no one ever plays him..... and on top of that he has protect: voil, which is not as strong as guarded, especially on him. The ability states that voil friendlies adjacent to this unit gain guarded: voil. Guarded voil allows the champ to be immune to damage as long as it is adjacent to another voil. Since the progenitor is itself not a voil, you would need a third champ, another voil, to also be adjacent to the first voil. Of course you could have them both adjacent to eachother and the prog simultaneously, but that is a heavy grouping which leaves you vulnerable to AOEs, spells and relics. And, again, at 120 nora the prog is going to see very little play and when he does, that price tag can lead to some pretty powerful counterplay for you, the opponent.

I didn't think about the cavernkeeper, so my apologies. He's had that since he was released. But I don't know anyone who runs him and if he is in fact being guarded, he probably isn't the one you want to focus any way, so focus the voil that is protecting him. since he isn't a voil you can't do the guarded-lock that you could do with two guards or two couriers.

Yelmo likes this.
  5. allyorbase

allyorbase I need me some PIE!

There should just be a clause that the other Voil can't have Guarded: Voil. Problem solved.

Guarded: Voil
    While this champion is adjacent to a friendly Voil without this ability, all damage from enemy attacks are is prevented.

(The ability is also grammatically incorrect, while we're at it.)

Qno2 and Yelmo like this.
  6. allyorbase

Cavernkeeper is actually amaze-balls now. Motivate and two heals for 49 nora in SP is just wicked.

RedScarlet likes this.
  7. PurpleTop

yeah he seems very efficient, I just hate putting non voils in my voil bg

8. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Why on earth would you take motivate over dispel???

SaintKiwi likes this.
  9. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

you know, that phalanx strategy of 2 voil guards standing side-by-side is really good. however it forces the voil player to play slowly (moving 6 spd Voil Guard while everyone has to follow him on an adjacent space), and is totally prone to spellspamming and shrine rush or font denial strategies. You basically just can't separate your forces without taking a severe consequences. Just a simple maddening echoes would make them dead, snogvie deafening + fascinate, just a lot of stuff would really make them suffer.

and pings went thru guarded: voil. There are a lot of ways to take them out. By protecting them only from basic attacks, while almost every champ has an attacking ability + aoe, Guarded Voil becomes really trashy and Voil Guard becomes your everyday champ.

I think you can change Guarded: Voil into (this does not affect other champs with this ability), so it doesn't protect each other. However, Guarded: voil should STILL prevent damage from everything (except ping+spells). Otherwise, its just lackluster. I'm not sure why Courier doesn't take damage from Thorn Collection. Play ranked with voils, Guarded: Voil champs takes damage from spellspamming.

10. chickenpox2

can you test it again to make sure i belive i saw it taking no damage but i need someonee to check also 2v2 voils will be hard specially on those map where u get flying advantage (eg:snaring triangle)

11. RedScarlet

RedScarlet I need me some PIE!

no2 cause i do playtested voils from 01/07/14 - 07/07/14 and found that guard adjacent strategy thingy on my own, so I playtest it to know whether its a bug or not (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). the people that I face usually just spellspam me to take care of all the voil guards. Actually its like this:

PROTECT: VOIL
    single-target abilities is prevented
    aoe [cone n bomb] abilities is prevented
    pings NOT prevented
    spell damage NOT prevented

HOWEVER... if the source of "Guarded: Voil" doesn't come from "Protect: Voil", meaning Guarded: Voil is already on the champ's base/upgrade ability, it works differently:

SOME single-target abilities is prevented
    SOME aoe [cone n bomb] abilities is prevented (frost, fire, lightningstorm)
    SOMETIMES Pings are prevented
    SOMETIMES spell damage are prevented

verdict:
    Protect:Voil works fine, Guarded: Voil on individual voils is bugged.

12. allyorbase

Dispel is really useful when it's useful, but Motivate is always useful, always. SP is all about attrition and swarming, right? I guess I just can't justify forgoing, like, +10 DMG to my army in exchange for the possibility of shutting down the odd superchamp. I'm not saying I don't like Dispel. I just prefer Motivate. :/

13. SaintKiwi

SaintKiwi I need me some PIE!

Blizzard cloak, righteous deflection, etc. Warbanner gives +1 dmg already.

14. allyorbase

Like I said: personal preference, and it's cheap.

15. SaintKiwi

3 attacks = around 36 dmg. motivate = 1 dmg.
    efficiency > preference
    understand now?

16. Raileks

Raileks New Member

I was the first to abuse voil progenitors voil guard phalanx(because back then you could include a sauropod bodyguard and guard him too). It cost over 300 nora and required at least 3 champs slowly moving while hugging each other and was in no way to competitive. Still got nerfed into the ground. This new one with two voil guards is more mobile, better protected(it shields from damage the old one never did), and cost a third less. A very simple fix has already been stated....

Also could you change progenitor's guard to this. I miss him.

17. PurpleTop

I've been running prog and been doing surprisingly well. Obviously gotta drop him at the right time but when you do the opp has a hard time taking care of him. Also in a voil bg I would prefer motivate over dispel. Motivate on all the swarms and summons in combo with boost and loyalty means a LOT of extra dmg.... And with the way the meta is now, dispel isn't needed as much. In fact, since the revamp, I haven't faced a single scenario where I needed it

allyorbase likes this.
  18. SaintKiwi

whaaaat purple top you kray kray

19. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

this is idiotic, regardless wich ability is better or wich one I would pick.

20. allyorbase

Are you referring to Blizzard Cloak? There are, maybe, 4 or 5 positive conditions in the game I really can't stand, but Cloak isn't one of them. Once you have made the first attack against the cloaked champ and discovered it's active, you only need to attack twice more. Why would I run a ~60 champ whose alleged purpose is to save me from having to make 2 missed attacks, sometimes? I'd rather have global +1 DMG. That's 1/4 of UD's awesome faction bonus. How can you sneeze at that?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014