General rules to be successful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edmek55555, Feb 14, 2017.

1. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

the deck building aspect is accurate, I do feel like I look at runes differently then other st players, and more often then not it boil down to what you get for the nora cost. even right now I'm trying to figure out a good champ combination to destroy the meta with a fun shield+mil quake+mill quake+ (possibly) strip armor deck

so many spider and skeleton decks running around I thought it could be fun

also agree with your awareness point.

but positioning is never more important then at high level play, tiny miscalculations is what causes the advantage to be lost, and it's what you capitalize on to get it back. between two equal weights a grain of salt can tip the scales, and imo positioning is pretty much the whole beach at high level play, possibly second only to the deck construction itself but you can't do anything about that once you are in the game, and you need to overcome disadvantages regardless.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Oh, another thing to consider is that positioning is likely MORE or LESS important depending on how you score the following factors:
    • More variety of abilities, particularly AE/ranged abilities
      • There used to be fewer champion abilities, and more global/passive ones as well, as a ratio
    • Greater ability to impact board state
      • Spell-based knockbacks, Relocates, more AP gen, etc.
    • Higher firepower
      • Despite the revamp/nerfs, the game is also much quicker than it used to be in terms of how fast things can die
    • More powerful abilities and combinations of effects in terms of being harder to play around
      • The old days, most abilities could be pushed thru or played around with positioning, now the emphasis is often more on which targets to take out first and deploying/using the right tools to deal things
    Personally, I feel the net change here is that positioning is still important, but more nebulous, and much harder to teach/learn than it used to be.

3. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

Great post. That's actually one of the first things I have noticed in pox. I have never seen a game with so much complacency. It seems almost all the players (atleast that are active on here) believe that making a bg is an absolute preset group of cards rather than trying your own things. Many people slam the idea of doing something different saying "that can't work, don't bother"

mortal ix and Etherielin like this.