George Soros

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DarkJello, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

but donald has no humility.

enough riddles!

2. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

(Pardon the video title, only clip I could find after a brief search.)

3. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

What about plumbing?

4. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

60 minutes has their own spaceship full of snacks?

SPiEkY likes this.
  5. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

A close third after the EU and the discovery of booze.

6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

if plumbing was so great why were toilets invented and forgotten multiple times in history?

7. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

they were full of Bane Shift

8. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Stop posting in political threads please, your constant thinking you have a brilliant mind is growing tiresome. Yet to see you post anything intelligent on any political topic and constantly insult people, you hate Americans and you hate being white.

Stay in Belgium change your skin color, and proceed at talking about how horrible white people are. You don't even realize how brainwashed you are it's actually sad. You have been taught whether it be by parents or school, everyone is racist or uneducated.

Overqualified :), all I've seen is a little kid throwing tantrums and when he doesn't get his way he gets real quiet or throws out racism or uneducated comments.

Looking forward to the day when the highly educated Europeans need military aide and the Americans don't come running.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

what is a single aide going to accomplish?

BurnPyro and SPiEkY like this.
  10. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Case in point, China is only now launching it's "Toilet Revolution" as part of it's ~$1T (USD) efforts to renovate for the sake of encouraging tourism. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-economy-tourism-idUSKBN14G0BN

(Roughly planning to invest in making 100k new public toilets over the next 4 years, obviously a small portion of the $1T they plan to spend.)

Geressen likes this.
  11. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yep, same sort of emotional appeal as "Make America Great Again", "Win Trade" and the whole "Muslim Ban" "until they figure out what's going on" and most of what Trump has said over the years.

Usually my reaction to Trump is "what does that even mean?"

BurnPyro, Geressen and Ohmin like this.
  12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I think you can say this kind of thing about pretty much anyone with this kind of influence. If you happen to disagree with the things he believes, then you will spin his goals as "benefits his desires." But if you agree with his goals then you are more likely to see it as him benefiting the world.

Geressen likes this.
  13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

For all I know his genuine desire is to benefit the world... at least as he sees it. That's not the reason I made that statement even if it might be the reason for others. He espouses on one hand an ideal, but then his actions go counter to upholding that ideal. In other words, he appears to value that ideal only so long as it conforms to his vision of it, so long as it lands on his "side" of things. And if undermining that ideal gets the job done he seems very willing to go forward regardless.

To me this makes him come off less as an idealist (or at least not one that has publicly stated his ideals much) and more of a pragmatist that is willing to justify hypocritical actions so long as it serves his personal goal.

Even if I agreed with all the things he says and does (and I actually do agree with some of what he says mind), I'd still say he falls short of an idealist trying to do his best to help the people. Is that true of anyone at that level? Maybe; I couldn't say for certain but it seems probable. But even if so whether that could well be a matter of power "corrupting" or simply saying something about the type of people that tend to accumulate that kind of power in the first place.

Here's a slight example: He's talked about both Bush and Trump and how they seem like wanna-be dictators and how he gets for lack of a better term flash-backs to living in **** or Communist controlled regions. I can understand that, at least to an extent. Obviously I've never had his experiences, I also don't think the comparison is really correct, but I can understand how their apparent disregard for civil rights (and human rights in some situations) could be a great cause for concern (it's one of the primary reasons I've never supported Trump).

But this also glosses over the fact that he and his guardian acted as collaborators for the Nazis (as part of a ruse his father had set up to pass him off as a Christian). To this day he has expressed no remorse over those actions, seeing them merely as a necessity of the times at worst, and on 60 Minutes, rationalizing that if he and his guardian had not been there, someone else would have anyway. To me, it feels like there is a schism there.

Separately, for someone who argues against manipulation of the public for the gain of the elite, he has shown absolutely no problem with market manipulation for his own gain. From France to Hungary, from Malaysia to Thailand.

And that's only a basic look at things. It doesn't get into less confirmed issues such as his level of involvement in multiple coups and color revolutions across many nations. It doesn't get into the DCLeaks and other documents which detail his involvement in setting up propaganda outlets and trying to essentially shape political dialogue across the West. Such things are inherently more questionable. While I can't prove it, I highly suspect he helped nudge things towards collapse in 2008 as well (though he certainly would NOT be to blame for it). Certainly he positioned himself to benefit tremendously, more than doubling his fortune from $11B in 2008 to nearly $25B now. Maybe he thinks he can use that money to benefit better than others whom would have gotten the windfall instead, but regardless he has expressed his excitement and joy at the results (at least to The Australian ), taking it as a sign of his vindication, and more so an opportunity to make stronger inroads into US politics with his increased influence.

Like I said: maybe he wants to benefit the world. But he's doing so in a manner very much counter to his own stated ideals of what a better world would look like. At least that's what it looks like to me. I think it's perfectly plausible that he sees it as "necessary" or something, but if so the obvious conclusion is that his ideal would then be impossible. If it's "necessary" to manipulate things like this in order to try and create an "Open society" than you'll always need someone manipulating things behind the scenes to maintain it. Which means it's never really an "Open society" as Soros' describes, just a fake that could be overturned and made into the harshest of "Closed societies" if ever the wrong manipulator(s) gain influence.

TL;DR:
    In any event, I'm sure he's not alone in regards to this sort of seeming hypocrisy; but this isn't, for me at least, about "my side" against "his side." I've tried to weigh "his side" against "his side."

SireofSuns likes this.
  14. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-hungarian-call-for-crackdown-on-soros-groups

Apparently Trump's victory in the US Election has inspired Fidesz, the current majority party in Hungary, to go after Soros-linked NGOs. According to the party's deputy head, Hungary will use "all the tools at its disposal" to try and purge the organizations from within it's nation. According to the Bloomberg article above.

The Fidesz party, lead by (currently Prime Ministor) Victor Orban is well known for being essentially a symbol of Europe's right-wing, and has spoken about wishing for his nation to become an "illiberal state."

Under Orban's leadership, Hungary has audited foreign funded groups before, in particular groups funded by Norway in 2014, stating that civil groups financed by foreign powers are all in essence fronts for pushing political agendas and amounted to "paid political activism."

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Mods can't edit posts or set restricted words, and Senshu doesn't read OT? So not sure what you mean by this.

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

maybe you don't have the ability to edit my posts but someone does.

I have no need to lie about my posts being moderated. I expect most of you lefties applaud the censorship. In the future, just ban me. but don't ever change my words again.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

that is a lie.

\_O_/

BurnPyro likes this.
  18. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

maybe he quite enjoys dementia because it helps fuel his paranoia, don't judge and tell other people about their suffering man.

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the only people with edit power, as far as i know, are the greens. of those, the only one i'd expect would ever bother to is senshu. if you have an issue with that, take it up with him via PM.

SireofSuns likes this.
  20. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

An opportunity arises!