Get fired up with BurnPyro.

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by BurnPyro, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

"Playing the actual game. As a chess fanatic, the strategy in a game with so many runes is inredibly engrossing. I don't really care for combinations or tricks or synergy or anything like that. Ijust want to outplay my opponent withbetter decision making and great positioning. Ironically I hate calculating exact numbers"

I would love to know what to think about for positioning and thinking many turns ahead and about the strategy / knowing I should have from chess. I always just yolo it. The only calculating I do is to make sure I'm 3 spaces away if you have 10 ap next turn. What other calculating should I do.

2. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Next time just @BurnPyro me or quote a post of mine, that way I find the post faster!

Counting spaces is a good start. Knowing what your opponent runs/what his bg is like allows you to anticipate his moves to a certain degree. Keeping your positioning in mind (AoE spells or abilities). Calculating kills to make sure you don't screw it up. General planning of your turn before you even move one champ to not screw things up.

Should take you long way already. Positioning in general is mostly about taking the safest way to do the most damage possible or to threaten to do the most damage possible.

3. Dolcebrodude

Dolcebrodude The King of Potatoes

@BurnPyro So, yeah, this is what I have been running after the Sapping Armor cost increase.
    [​IMG]
    I have a few notes:
    • The 2 Chameleons are a flex slot, before I had Hunchbacks, Hunters or Constrictors in their place. Haven't tried Augmentors. Constrict is the main selling point for me. The Constrictor does the same for cheaper, but the damage aura is a nuisance for friendlies. Chameleon's shatter on a stick is nice and shadowspawn is a minor positioning advantage.
    • The Doomslayers are doing great. Compared to Centurion they got the attack range, damage type and nora cost advantage. And dooming some random 100-ish nora guy is always fun.
    • The Ravenspeaker seems too expensive most of the time, but when he's good, he's really good.
    • Serpentor might become a second Spellsword, but I haven't lost to that many AoEs yet.
    • Flagellum is okay I guess, punish and taking prisoners has saved me a few times. Looking into switching him tho.
    • No quickening because CV is almost the same effect for 2 turns and half the price. I just never seemed to cast it for profit.
    • If there were no Chameleons, I would seriously consider running a second Magnetize.
    And some questions:
    1. I'm aware that the bg lacks range. Where would you fit a second psion or some other range champ?
    2. I'm a grinding for them shards. What other Legendaries I should consider getting?
    3. How does whipdude compare to Torien?
    4. Which second line upgrade should be on D.Lord?
    5. Is Shrive ever useful?
    6. Is Burning Sands a straight upgrade over Acid Storm?
    7. How does Pope compare to Wyrmpriest? Wyrmpriest was super underwhelming for me.
    Soz for the long post, just had some time to think over the questions. ANY answers would be appreciated.

4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

This is what I have currently.

draksar.png
    I'd love to maybe run double hunchback if their synergy with the flagellum is fixed already. Double broodqueen if I could. Run double draksar hunter for your life. They synergise really well with flaggelum + just beasts in general for their cost.

Constrictors just aren't as good as some of the other stuff. I'm not a fan of dooms, but you can run them instead of the spellsword. One pope is still auta, just because sermon.

Run quickening or I cut.
    If you run more range, run another psion.
    I mean, the basilisk templar is a nice legendary, but you don't really need it.
    Torien is bad
    Always use commander draksar on dlord
    Shrive tends to blow ****
    Bsands is 40 nora, i run it in everything. 1 acidstorm if I need the -defense
    wyrmpriest is still mediocre at best, pope is better

hope that helps

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  5. Dolcebrodude

Thanks for the answers man, means a lot.

6. Dolcebrodude

@BurnPyro the good news is that Sapping Armor + Whipdude's Terminus seems to be working. In AI games at least.
    However, I have a few more questions about our scaly friends:
    1. The Commander: Draksar is a pretty obvious choice, but what is your preference in the Bulwark: Draks - Violent - Guarded: Draks line for DLord? I've seen people run guarded and bulwark, but having in mind lord's natural tankiness and high cost, the cheaper and snowbally Violent seems like an okay ability.
    2. A long time ago Morph was a godly support unit. Metamorphosis and Haste/Imbue Stun are still pretty good abilities. Why does no one run her anymore?
    3. Dragonfear seems weak on paper. I'm guessing that it is useful for the targeted distract. When do you usually cast it?
    4. Tough 1 or Tough 2 on Hunchbacks?
    5. Is there any merit to running Tainted Statue with maybe less spells?
    Again, ANY tiny bit of knowledge helps.

7. Burcho

Burcho I need me some PIE!

3. dragonfear is very good against nokando, spellkaiser, maxx's ability to spawn units, many support or other unit without a decent basic attack.

8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Ah, nice they fixed that.

Guarded always. It's a tanky as Firk damage beast that they have to deal with. If they start hitting you, all your drakkies take steroids.
    One more is still alright, she's costy though. You can still run her if you want, but the recent buffs to dragonlady with invig pretty much replaced her
    dragonfear is just to CC down annoying ****s, a lot of stuff like janguar arcanis, jakei elementalist, other passive units or just insane damage units can be stopped like this (also if you're going to take damage from blindfire units, or counterattacks or whatever). 1x is always nice
    tough2, might as well make him baller

Statue is meh, SL crutches pretty hard on their spells because our equips and relics are pretty mediocre. Quickening/DB/violence are all so godly. Unless you're running a dedicated antispells bg (which are kind of okay ish sometimes), you're not going to be able to get much out of it.

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

If it wasn't so easy to cleanse Possessed off of Infestor, I think antispell BGs would be more powerful.

10. Dolcebrodude

@BurnPyro do you have any strats with SL for Tundra Lake? Of all the the maps in ranked rotation, that one is giving my nightmares. My current plan is First turn>Scry>Cry>Surrender.

11. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Pray you can hold onto your font if you're player 2. Player 1 just take the font, group on a side of your choice and push. Generally Sl does best when grouped

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  12. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

heylow. i ned sum help to pwn scrubz in uncommon leeg. i dun no how 2 post dek but help anywayz pls?

Anima26 likes this.
  13. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

I was unaware of this thread, props to you for helping ppl out bae.

BurnPyro likes this.
  14. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

google translate told me not to help you, sorry! Can't mess with the overlords.

15. Pixyrus

Pixyrus Forum Royalty

i cri. i ges i stay in uncommon lee 4evr.

16. Anima26

Firk PoxNora, teach me how to attract the grills pls senpai.

Dolcebrodude likes this.
  17. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I keep thinking this thread's title is "Get Fed Up With BurnPyro"

18. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

k im done

Vote Kanye 2020 likes this.
  19. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

can you post that fw bg?

20. Anima26

On topic, i would actually really appreciate it if you could spectate me play some time and help me improve my play, im pretty bad to be honest.

I suck at positioning thats for sure.

@BurnPyro