Goblin fun ruined by a particular spell

Discussion in 'Underdepths' started by Fentum, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Been running a goblin deck which is a lot of fun. Unpredictable but often cool.

Have gone up against some nice BGs and won handily. Have played like garbage and lost.

I am seeing quite a few cookie cutter FS BGs with the tortun and Augar slam guys, plus the minelayer guy. Fish kisser, etc. It's a nice deck and effective, but I can often do well against it. One spell, however, ruins my day.

REVERBERATING BLAST.

Lack of cleanse usually makes this spell a killer for me. Now I know about...

Splitting up out of aoe
    Sac
    Retri
    Counter such as Acrid Smoke
    Get gud

But I just feel a bit gutted that a particular spell is so effective.

I'd welcome any ideas on how to help my wee gobbos.

DrakeArron likes this.
  2. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

Dark Pact, yo.

Time that baby right and they'll be salty about it for weeks

Qucas, DrakeArron and Fentum like this.
  3. Fentum

Thanks. I ran that spell in my Ireguard super champ decks. Seems a bit heavy for goblins but I'll give it a go. Perhaps on the big fat king.

DrakeArron likes this.
  4. DrakeArron

DrakeArron I need me some PIE!

See, this is how you fix the problem of constantly losing to something. I'd offer actual help, bu I'm a newb ;P. Just wanted to give props to you. This is the first thread I've seen asking for help about something that keeps beating you that doesn't demand nerfs/buffs... (assuming we don't include BattleGroup threads).

Qucas and Fentum like this.
  5. Fentum

Thanks. Over the years I've seen many calls for nerfs and buffs. Some necessary but usually it's better to figure out a way to beat stuff.

Qucas and SPiEkY like this.
  6. DrakeArron

Yep. Curious, I've never actually played nor ahad it played against me- what makes reverberate so strong against gobos? Doesn't it only take 0ut 2 champs, and aren't gobos sort of a cheap theme?

Fentum likes this.
  7. Fentum

Ha! You are correct. In fact it's the general UD lack of cleanse that makes Rev Blast so strong. Gobbos are quite cheap. In my gobbo deck, I tend to have a couple of kings out, usually one of them is targeted.

The typical sequence is that I deploy several goblins and have a good tactical fight vs the slam, mines, etc. Then the blast takes out two key guys and it's gg.

A few years ago, I ran Dark Pact for a long time, but I hate to run spells that depend on the opponent's play. In my gobbo deck I generally use spells that are well suited or help many little guys, e.g. Superiority, Drain Vitality, Price of Victory.

Goblins are a really fun theme but lack hard counters that many UD guys have ( arrow eater, fire eater, etc). I enjoy playing them for fun to see what abilities and combos I can generate. It's just a bit frustrating to see many examples of the particular FS deck with that challenging spell.

DrakeArron likes this.
  8. DrakeArron

Hmm, makes sense.

9. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Honestly, I gave up running gobs in FF fairly early on because they just don't quite fit with UD's strengths. Sac and ret work well with 75-90n beaters, but not so much with 65n weenies, and UD's remaining toolkit can be replicated elsewhere with better utility in other factions. With the new scry it's easier than ever to run 14 champs + banner then fill the rest in with utility from another faction. After I found SP worked well I never looked back.

Fentum likes this.
  10. Fentum

Agreed and exactly that. I run a somewhat different set of support spells with FF goblins than with other UD. due to their weeniness.

In splits, it's all good. ST with Cleansing Storm and Favour of the Queen are my go to guys with a normal UD split. It's the FF UD goblins that are more fun though.