Google doesn't know Pox Nora

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hiyashi, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Some very good points. Once we are ready to start really pushing Pox this will be definitely under consideration.

2. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

@nitebane21 can validate this; but I am fairly certain that when it comes to SEO stuff sooner is far better than when you are ready for it. As his posts have hinted at it takes time having the content updating regularly to get the counts up that you are going to want when you do have the game ready to push harder in the advertising segment.

SPiEkY likes this.
  3. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Yeh it does.

4. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

wat

Baskitkase, Boozha and MEATMAN like this.
  5. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

woooooooooooooooooo-holyshit did this guy really just post this-oooooooooooooooooooords

6. Gaedel

Gaedel I need me some PIE!

7. G_Ro91

G_Ro91 The King of Potatoes

I, for one, will not waste my time criticizing or insulting DMrBadguy as 1) he is unlikely to change, and 2) DMrBadguy probably revels in the letters of shock and repulsion that he regularly receives. Instead, I will focus on his fork-tongued wisecracks, which, after all, are the things that commit acts of banditry and insurgency. Let's start with my claim that I've never bothered him. Yet he wants to con us into believing that his mind games are Right with a capital R. Whatever happened to “live and let live”?

No matter how much DMrBadguy squirms and wriggles, he will never escape the fact that some of the things he says and some of the things he stands for are so xenophobic, it hurts to think about them. That is to say, he must have some sort of problem with reading comprehension. That's the only explanation I can come up with as to why he accuses me of admitting that unbridled insurrectionists and feckless pseudo-intellectuals should rule this country. What I actually said is that I want to embrace diversity. That may seem simple enough, but DMrBadguy drops the names of famous people whenever possible. That makes him sound smarter than he really is and obscures the fact that I have to wonder where DMrBadguy got the idea that it is my view that his sentiments will spread enlightenment to the masses, nurture democracy, reestablish the bonds of community, bring us closer to God, and generally work to the betterment of Man and society. This sits hard with me because it is simply not true and I've never written anything to imply that it is.

In a broad-brush sense, the irony is that DMrBadguy's most bloodthirsty blandishments are also his most wild. As the French say, “Les extremes se touchent.” Blindly following, never asking questions, DMrBadguy's compeers incorporate DMrBadguy's incoherent and anger-filled tirades as their own. It becomes impossible to change their views merely by explaining that by refusing to act, by refusing to turn random, senseless violence into meaningful action, we are giving DMrBadguy the power to discredit and intimidate the opposition. Deplorable, oligophrenic mouthpieces for violent, gloomy Marxism are indubitably the lowest form of human life. Enough said. His favorite story seems to be that the health effects of secondhand smoke are negligible. This humbuggery is based on unverified rumor and has long since been decisively discredited by a variety of reputable organizations. Nevertheless, DMrBadguy's followers believe that profits come before people. Although it is perhaps impossible to change the perspective of those who have such beliefs, I wish nevertheless to examine DMrBadguy's worldview from the perspective of its axiology (values) and epistemology (ways of knowing).

DMrBadguy has a staggering number of pathetic agents provocateurs. One way to lower their numbers, if not eradicate them entirely, is simple. We just inform them that if we do not act now, unrestrained mythomaniacs will own our country. If you and I do not speak up now, conceited deadheads will get people to vote against their own self-interests. Not only will our nation pay a terrible price for that, but we must reach out to people with the message that we have a number of problems for which DMrBadguy bears most of the responsibility. We must alert people of that. We must educate them. We must inspire them. And we must encourage them to criticize his complicity in the widespread establishment of adversarialism.

I'll try not to dwell on this, but I appreciate feedback and other people's views on subjects. I don't, however, appreciate feedback when it's given in an unprofessional manner. DMrBadguy was an illaudable hermit when I first encountered him. DMrBadguy is an illaudable hermit now. And there is no more reason for believing that DMrBadguy will ever cease to be an illaudable hermit than there is for supposing that clever one-liners are a valid substitute for actual thinking. A final word: Like fire, DMrBadguy is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

8. XFurionsX

XFurionsX I need me some PIE!

I send to my father in law complaining about her daught, thanks for this!

9. Gaedel

The only problems I have with DMrBadguy and G_Ro91 is that their posts are way too long. I have no idea what their arguments are because I did not and will not read them because their posts are too long.

10. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

you missed some very interesting things in their posts

I recommend going back and reading them, they're quite a good read!

11. Gaedel

How about a summary? My eyes hurt.

12. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

They are trying to make you aware of the fact that the forums need moderation by posting random spam.

13. Taskumatti

Taskumatti The King of Potatoes

14. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

no

15. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

Yep, it is a marathon, not a sprint. If you wait until a Steam launch, it's already too late as all those people who see the game on Steam will head to Google to find out info on it and find nothing. Poxnora.com ranks in the top 20 (1st 2 pages of Google) for only 15 keywords and all of them are branded phrases. This means that unless someone searches using 1 of those 15 phrases, which all have "poxnora" in them, they aren't going to find the game. And if they search just "poxnora" the description that shows up is just the Top 10 Players list all squished together.

The "low hanging fruit" I mentioned are things almost anyone can do and could be worked on for an hour a day or so. They'd make a big difference for very little effort. Like meta descriptions. Every site I have ever seen has a little paragraph that tells you about the page in Google search results. All you need to do is write a ~65 word unique description and stick it in the code using the most basic of HTML. Or new content. Just write a paragraph a day and in a couple weeks you'll have a good outline for the home page and a good replacement for the Overview page. Heck, the overview could be crowd-sourced with good results. If you're curious, this is what the Google spiders see when they crawl the home page: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&strip=1 Not a whole lot, because the whole page is coded in Javascript and Google can't read Javascript. Not good.

Maybe it's just not publicly discussed and internally the attitude is different but Senshu's response made it seem like caring about SEO is a very low priority and they'll do it when they get around to it. The reality is (imo), this is a big problem that is holding the game back and letting competitors get all those new customers with money burning in their pocket and a desire to play a turn-based strategy game. The playerbase is never going to grow unless people can find the game and the old guard can't be relied on to carry the game forever. The Steam marketplace is flooded with indie games, it's not like the 1st Steam launch where there wasn't tons of new games being added regularly. A foundation needs to be laid to make the most of the launch and for an online game, their online presence is their foundation.

@Senshu I, like many others, am passionate about the game and the people behind it. I was serious about offering to help, and I think its clear that I know what I'm talking about. I can get you improvement at no cost to DOG. Just send me a PM and I'd be happy to discuss it in greater detail.

Hiyashi and Baskitkase like this.
  16. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Brilliant.

If they pass up this incredible opportunity it's just pride arrogance or ignorance.

17. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

I understand your sincerity for wanting to help. Our web engineer wants to do more of what you suggested, but there are also some other factors that play a role in this which can't be publicly discussed.

For things like Youtube we would like to see more player content and we are happy to support them or put them on our company Playlists when they are brought to our attention.

18. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

FFS, get over yourself and message him, Senshu : /

19. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

@Senshu I understand. For the record I would be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement (not that I expect that to sway you) and continue this conversation through other channels. It wouldn't be the 1st time I've signed one for Poxnora. ;) I feel like I've given enough free advice, especially if it can't be acted on, but since you mentioned YouTube I'll at least say that you might want to start by updating the link to not point to the old SOE home page. :p

20. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

I know they are busy over at DoG rolling out steam stuffs so I figured I'd help, here you go @nitebane21

Please read this carefully.

[​IMG]

nitebane21 and Senshu like this.