Happy Woman's day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by profhulk, Mar 8, 2018.

1. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Hooray for equal contribution
    Interesting research try to watch objectively without raging before you quit.

2. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

well at least it's not 4 hours...

still not gonna watch it though

BurnPyro likes this.
  3. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

He probably has a point, but then it's not like exaggerating, or simplifying, something to suit a bias isn't normal.

For example in Britain we're told that Watson and Crick 'discovered' DNA, and that British people invented: the internet, the jet engine, the telephone....

None of which is %100 true, usually they are advancements based on existing work rather than 'from scratch' inventions - but if there is a claim to it then people will see a chance to advance a narrative, and you don't get that narrative across by complicated explanations but by simple soundbites.

This is true whether it is: "British people are the bestest", "Women have been undervalued and exploited", or even "Femanists are liars".

4. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

Just as an aside, I find this whole education through YouTube tendency really worrying.

Once you rely on some politically partisan personality for your knowledge of the world you end up with a weirdly distorted vision.

BurnPyro and Alakhami like this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the first few minutes is basically the first 5 minutes on any lecture on the discovery of DNA but packaged as a "the feminist movement lies! turns out science is a complicated pile-up of discoveries!" kinda way

the truth is all those people contributed in their own ways. but the simplified history is whatchamajig and wabbajack made the first best model for DNA.

indeed.
    we should just preface any scientific discovery with
    "Science is a complicated pile-up of discoveries"
    I think it will prevent a lot of issues.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018