Hashinshin thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by trolloc1, Jul 22, 2020.

1. trolloc1

trolloc1 The King of Potatoes

2. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

3. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Whenever a girl comes out about stuff like this on social media, I'm always a bit suspicious of their motives. It seems to me that if you're comfortable enough to open up about your experiences to all of Twitter, then you should also be comfortable enough going to the police with whatever information you have. One of them in particular (this one, for those interested: https://twitter.com/Caltyss/status/1284158240796954624) provides a huge amount of evidence in the form of messages, PMs, videos, etc., yet never mentions having gone or planning to take any of it to the proper authorities. It's almost as if, instead of seeking actual justice, they're seeking the attention and support of their Twitter followers, hoping they will provide some form of vigilante justice by shaming/"canceling" the guilty party. It's not the proper way to do these things, and makes you seem like you have ulterior motives. Not saying Hash isn't in the wrong if these allegations are true (Hash always did seem like the type tbh), but I don't think social media is the right outlet for confessions of this nature. Take what you have to the police, let them handle it, THEN go to social media and tell your story.

Vash Dragneel likes this.
  4. Gaverion

Gaverion I need me some PIE!

5. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

It's not about whether they speak up at all, it's about who they speak up to. The reasons one wouldn't speak up to the police are the same as the reasons why they wouldn't speak up on social media. Like I said, if you're comfortable enough to open up about your experiences to all of Twitter, then you should also be comfortable enough going to the police with whatever information you have. Making your complaint public knowledge is probably even MORE taxing to your mental health than going to the police, who would likely treat your case with discretion.

6. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I don't know how relevent it would be to this particular case, but I am reminded of this (summarized here, albeit only from one side of the argument: ) and it's worth noting that not everyone will have the wherewithall/capability to "keep the receipts." Though I'm not particularly concerned if you don't believe his story.

However, it's also worth noting that there are plenty of... scumbags out there... the documentary "An Open Secret" from 2015 for example:

To say nothing of the ongoing Epstien/Maxwell investigation; or the hundreds of arrests worldwide of human traffickers involved in sexual exploitation of minors that don't get much media attention; though obviously these particular cases involve the police directly doing stuff, and if anything should encourage victims to go to the authorities whenever possible.

Going public with accusations but NOT to the police provides a few things:

1. It avoids some legal scrutiny (there may still be civil suits of slander/libel involved which could force it, but the defense always has an edge legally speaking, at least with most legal systems; by transfering yourself from accuser to accused you have greater "standing" of a sort (including socially), and a failed libel suit could be a risk for the accused.

2a. It allows for easier interjurisdictional bypasses. Mainly if you live in a different state/country it might not be that easy to get the authorities involved with the right jurisdiction (especially if you're young and haven't studied what those would be).

2b. In some cases there is a statute of limitations which might get in the way, depending on the nature of the allegation. A lot of Weinstien (spelling?) accusers did not meet the statute of limitations, but by speaking out they encouraged other, more recent victims to come out, this eventually resulted in convictions in NY, and I believe ongoing trials in CA (haven't kept up to date on this).

2c. Some accusations are not of actual criminal behavior (no solicitation, etc.), which means the law, even with the proper jurisdiction, might not actually provide "help."

3. If you can convince people you're credible, it can result in more immediate and possibly long-lasting damage to the accused party; and/or aid to ones self; even if you have a weak case with regard to evidence. Especially if you don't beleive that the police would trust you over the famous/wealthy person... Though this is of course true regardless of motive.

4. It seemed to be the way to handle things since #MeToo.

Not that this says anything to disuade someone suspicious of motives. It is worth noting that I don't think I've ever seen someone launch a public social campaign of this type against someone that does NOT have a more visible public profile (Hashinshin might be the among the lesser-known people I've seen any accusations against; but they're still a public streamer that was apparently relatively active). However this could simply be my lack of exposure to Twitter/Facebook resulting in ignorance.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  7. Doobido

Doobido The King of Potatoes

Looks like he started streaming again, but on youtube since he's still banned on twitch AFAIK