Haunting Spirit : Ban it from ranked already

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mintdude1, Mar 16, 2017.

?

Ban haunting spirit from ranked?

1. yes

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. no

35 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

It's weird because I find mirrored harder to deal with than ghost.. it has low Hp so you can chip it easily, I also play KF so magic dmg isn't hard to find.

You don't always need a direct counter to a bg to beat it. I've seen princeleaf lose cause someone managed to guess the right spot to walk into the stealthed unit etc, like you can beat calisks deck without phys immune or unstoppable champs.

The fs/UD deck I've never lost to, don't deploy many champs. (I also have oak seed/ca 1 ghost stalkers)

My deck is bad vs IS cause I can't relic contest side fonts, I can still beat them though.

At the end of the day it's a 4 spd unit with low Hp, if you can't plan how to deal with it in the time it takes to get to you... says more about you tbh. He doomed your magic dmg champ? That font can be contested for 3 turns and he's still down on Nora. Use that doom time to attack the 30hp 4 spd unit at least twice, if not more. Take the globe after your unit dies. You control a lot of the scenario through a doom play.

Tweek516 and themacca like this.
  2. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

Well as you said KF wouldn't have issues with spirit the highest concentration of good magic champs are in that faction and because of that mirror would give you headaches and it's why I would deploy white stars against you early usually.

If you were a leoss deck for example you'd cry to spirit and laugh at mirrored and it's why I'd deploy a peaks Ifrit against that deck.

Play meta st and It's a crap shoot at how many decent magic ones are in the deck and most are probably slow 6 speed supports that take 2 to 3 rounds to kill the small spirit once it's contested both earnings it's cost and denying a unit from somewhere more useful.

My stance is its cheap and overly effective for the cost, but it most certainly won't be in all matches, but it's certainly capable of winning games practically on it's own given the right match up

My real problem as I stated was with the idea that it's fine because magic damage exists...

Also I've never lost to the ud/fs deck either after my first loss finding out about its trick, if played eight though I don't think avoiding deploying would save the game. It actually reminds me of an old I pox deck that was damn near unbeatable when played right.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I haven't seen a Leoss deck in ages but they have magic dmg options. If your deck is entirely physical that's a heavy mistake on their part. If you don't have ways of getting alt dmg you are kind of asking to lose to things like ghost/immunity (or mirrored if you run no phys)

I can only really speak for my own deck as it's what I have the most experience with but things like void shield/mirrored are often on the upgrade path, so inhibit power can deal with that nicely. Twisted emerald for fs and I imagine other factions have access to confused too.

If you deploy whitestar.. in deploying anaru, strategist, condor fury etc. You follow with ifrit? I've got oak seed and my 60 Nora magic dmg champs to follow up. I don't think we have actually played each other in this scenario (me using the op illusion.dek, you using the op eleslam.dek) we will have to duel it out sometime! But tell me in advance so I can add a cheeky swiftwind or two :p

4. calisk

Lol I should of said illusions instead of ud/fs that's a much bigger threat but like you and leoss I haven't face an illusion deck in over a month but I have seen half a dozen or more leoss decks in the last week but they were all mid tier.

I also had just played davre on Friday so was fresh as another top tier gimmick bg

Anyway the KB bg was a novelty I was having fun with, I'm working on two new decks currently to combat the sl meta as for my usual deploy order if I go first I tend to go neutral if I'm not familiar with the opponents deck something like a sonic elemental. Then based on your deploy I tend to match that so say you went queen after sonic I'd likely drop either an arryo with vaporize or a peaks.

If say you went illusionist I'd drop a white star to nuke the illusions and counter the mage

At least in an ideal world

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Haha definitely ideal world situations never seem to happen for me though! First turn snake charmer isn't always there for me :(

Honestly I'm getting bored of this illusion deck Its the longest I've ever played one deck in.. ever I think. I end up destroying the mid tier people and feeling guilty but then needing to crutch it on anyone with high xp cause they're running something op too :p But I am also too attached to my pretty xp number and don't want to nuke my rank trying to find something else I can play semi-decently haha. (Aka tiny trying to play worms ATM lol)

6. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

Many themes don't have access to the things you talk about

7. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

This just in: Not every theme is exactly the same with the same exact counters for everything.

You gotta think a little outside of the box sometimes.

Tweek516, SPiEkY, MaruXV and 2 others like this.
  8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I hate HS, just because of the sheer lack of skill it takes for my opponent to ram it down a font somewhere and have it pay off.

mintdude1 likes this.
  9. DiCEM0nEY

Just in, this: you are not a special snowflake, and "thinking outside the box" isn't difficult. The truth is, many themes do not have access to counters you speak of, and no amount of thinking will simply make them appear

10. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

In this case, thinking outside the box means either using indirect counters or thinking outside the theme.

You don't play themes, you play decks. Sometimes those decks are built around theme interactions. Including some out of theme runes to counter the meta makes these decks more powerful.

SPiEkY likes this.
  11. DiCEM0nEY

There aren't many viable options to do that. For example, if I run spirit surge, always run soul reave. That doesn't mean soulreave is a great spell, and it doesn't mean a shitty outside the box solution will work. Indirect "counters" are mostly just overpowered kill alls in the first place, such as essense drain, magic nova, and a variety of other blanket kill alls. "I out played him by using marsh song 2x, so none of my units needed to be cost efficent." #OUTPLAYED #360NOSCOPE

I'm not just talking out of my ass, I play nearly exclusively skeletons, and they can pretty much deal with a variety of problematic skills in the current meta, aside from battle leader, swarm, and general all purpose overpowereds. When I play something like spirits, its blatantly obvious they don't have an answer for mirrored. Sure, you can try soul tapping them, using soul reave, but you will most likely lose the game against any non trash opponent. Better off only using a few spirit runes, and getting ur damage from good stuff runes, or running a split with elementals .

12. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

So skeletons have a plethora of anti summon capabilities through archnage and bone circle staff, so swarms shouldn't be an issue. Battle leader is a counter to summon spam which skeletons is.. but you can easily deal with medal of valor champs/ fw has amazing power spells to insta kill threats.

Because you are fw I literally have 0 sympathy for you. with ED, soulreave, reapers blade you have so many easy counters to anything slightly awkward. Spirits can counter anything with FWs spell and equipment setup. Next.

SPiEkY likes this.
  13. DiCEM0nEY

Battle leader is being nerfed, and rightly so.

You are missing the point. The things you tall about don't work. ED does, I'll give you that, but only against targets which are worth the 50 Nora investment. Using ED to half kill a ruby crawler will almost never be worth it.

Reapers blade doesn't go well with spirit surge, since their ranged options rely on surge. (Set to 0, I was told that's how surge with blade works). It only is really used in zombie theme iirc.

Doom is pretty much garbage aside from adaptive decks which are op right now.

Soulreave is also pretty garbage, and worst part is that it is essential to decks mainly because one mirrored champ will lose you the game. The rune slot and 40 Nora cast, CD, really hurts your chances of winning.

This is the point. These awkward counters don't work. I've played against ethereal meta against great players using skeletons, and might have been able to win if I didn't make so many mistakes @davre , but I wasn't thinking "gee I wish I had a shitty rune like soul reave or skeletal lerper" . I used a strong rune like sac altar to play around ethereal soldier, killing it in a great way. Followed by my boneshredder not being able to fit through a choke point due to obesity xD

14. Schmacko

Schmacko I need me some PIE!

The irony of fat skeletons...

15. DiCEM0nEY

Race arthropod is hysterical versus spider decks though. Many people don't realize it and cast web, only to have bone shredder crawl through the web with sunder and dark rising gg. Skeleton Minotaur looking more and more powerful.

16. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

Single faction players have a tendency to oversell nerfs, and right now FW players are convinced that a 5n cost increase was enough to change doom's status from 1x autoinclude (with 2x not being a terrible idea) to shoebox. This is not the case. The major drawback to doom is that it can be countered before it goes off, but the current meta is dominated by ST, SL, FS, and to a lesser extent SP and the only counter available in those factions is skywing screecher, which is seeing less play for some reason. Other than that, it's a great spell if you can stall for 6 turns (and if you are FW, you can) and I was able to use it effectively on you in a move that reversed your momentum in our game. The game we played was a really unconventional one, where each of the 5 fonts was its own little fight, and that was a great situation to have something like doom in your pocket so you can take a side fight without much effort.

You should think of soulreave not as a primary counter rune, but more of a safety valve for your suite of counters. It looks like a low impact spell but it is really versatile and can be a cost effective answer to tons of situations, from dealing with defensive abilities to protected shrine rushers or countering a split personality or even granting a global +4 damage vs skywings. I think the major difference between it and other kill spells is that spells like ED are proactive and soulreave is opportunistic - you need your opponent to be aggressive with champions that they think are safe against your numbers to get full value, but the value is there if you look for it.

Your playstyle reminds me a lot of Aznsoul, where you are really aggressive and make these expensive high-tempo plays to keep pressure on your opponent, but you need to work on the defensive aspects of your game and recognize when you need to stall out and build a favorable matchup. You spent a lot of nora early on with the sac altar/dark rising combo (90n to kill a 62n champ) and getting the early pair of bone mines into my fonts. Those moves paid off in the long term by giving you a resource advantage but you also left yourself vulnerable for the 2-3 turns before the font advantage kicks in. It is really hard to play well against stealth but I had no difficulty taking out your 2 important champs (tomb lord and aspect of death) because the resources you spent securing a font advantage were not spent protecting them.

When people tell you to think outside the box, a lot of it comes down to building a deck that focuses less on expensive hard counters but has layers of cheap softer counters. If you look up kalasle's blog he has a really thorough post that will be more useful than this paragraph, but a simple tactic of stall + chip can be effective. Think about how I dealt with your boneshredder: it had a cloak of skulls on it so it became a tricky champ to deal with, but I killed it without spawning a single bonemauler and without using a counter.

You made it easy to ignore it by placing the sac altar in a bad spot, but I also chose to back off and gave you midfont so that I wouldn't have to deal with it. I don't even remember making any plays to kill it but chipped away with xulos drop, tome of hate, some hexes, and some auras. Thinking back on it, it's actually kind of surprising that I killed it but it didn't require much effort at all and that kind of passive attrition is the bread and butter of FW's playstyle.

I think that you can become a good player, but the path to success isn't just about recognizing mistakes. Even the top players still make one or two mistakes a game. Part of what makes pox great is that almost every game you end up with an awkward problem that you have to improvise through, and that unfamiliarity means that misplays are a natural part of the game. A great way to be successful is to put yourself in a situation where your mistakes are less costly than your opponent's. I made a pretty big mistake when I left your Xulos with 1hp but it didn't cost me the game because I wasn't playing with a focused hard-counter mindset and the game didn't hinge on what was happening on that side of the map. I stalled, I maintained favorable champ matchups (even when that meant losing fonts), and I used my kill spells when it was convenient rather than because I needed to. I can do this effectively because I have lost a lot of games playing with a lot of bad decks, and the experience of playing against things that you aren't equipped to counter has helped my deckbuilding and my strategy.
    When Calisk is calling a goblin king gimmick deck top tier, I know I'm doing something right.

Schmacko, MaruXV, mintdude1 and 4 others like this.
  17. calisk

lol you weren't running leviathan+sea song that game :p

you opened with librarian so I assumed it was that

I was completely mind gaming myself that whole match heh

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Disagree with your Doom assessment. It was not 1x auto at 45, and it has been additionally damaged by meta shifts and changing fw deck construction.

themacca likes this.
  19. mintdude1

mintdude1 The King of Potatoes

This is good, I like it when people explain themselves, rather than just going "dooms bad mmkay" lol

20. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

My only grief with HS is the fact it's a limited rune. Can we already get a non-LE version of HS?

MaruXV likes this.