Hearthstone players, unite!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Note: This is head to head only, team play has a lot more implications :D

2. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Rank 5 is the mythical barrier because you can win streak to it.

If they removed that (plz don't blizzard, I like free cards), rank would probably be a more realistic representation of skill vs time.

3. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

So yeah, have been going back and forth from rank 5 to 2. I can win against any deck/opponent, and still I just can't manage to reach the legendary rank... Sigh.
    I'm going to do a final push this week, let's see how it goes.

19madfox95 likes this.
  4. Pedeguerra

Ok, so you know what's funny? Last wednesday I came up with a Druid deck all by my own just to finish some quests, and it turned out I was beating people left and right in casual with it.
    I thought to myself: "hey, how about I take this bad body to a spin in ranked?". Had a rough estimate of 60% win rate, but I decided to use it more on the next season, so I could have a better grasp on it.
    Opened Hearthpwn today, just to find out that Kolento reached #1 Legendary with a deck that has only 2 different runes than mine, and that he is claiming that its the best deck in current meta.
    My emotions afterwards: :eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_Oo_O:):):) (this last one is cause Im going to finish the ranked grind with it).

5. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

To be fair, that's a pretty generic combodrood.dek. The only thing I see is "off" is -BGH +AoW, which makes a lot of sense with all the aggro.

6. Pedeguerra

True, true. That's why I thought it was funny, because all I had to do was jam the best druid cards in there and go to town.
    The only differences I had were exactly that one, BGH out for AoW, and 1 Loatheb in and one Dragon out.
    I think I can fit both BGH and AoW.
    Either way, lets see how it rolls - Im playing this thing exclusively from now on.

7. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

So I just did the math and realized I'm sitting on roughly 3k dust worth of gold cards I'll never play. If I get rid of a couple of trash legend I'll never miss and adding what I already have I could craft 3. Problem is if I want to open up as many options as possible, I'm stuck in an awkward spot.

For neutrals, Alex is the top one. That would open up Freeze Mage and Control Warrior but that would mean I also need to get Antonidas, Grommash and it's rando friends (like Rag) to fully play those. Big commitment for 2 decks. When you go in the class stuff, my big wants are Antonidas (would spruce up tempo big time, give access to Freeze if I get Alex), Thirion (simply every pally deck ever), Voljin (not terribly needed in current priest decks but would also be nice to add) and Malganis+EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION (I'm kinda tired of playing a sub-par zoolock, handlock looks fun). Then there's also the B-tier/meta stuff I'd really like to play but would feel bad wasting dust on like Alakir, Harrisson and Grom (see ctrl warrior).

I'm staring at a Venn diagram that doesn't make sense. Alex-Tony-Grom. Alex-Tony-Thirion. Tony-Thirion-Voljin. Thirion-Voljin-Malganis or Jaraxxus. Thirion-Malganis-Jaraxxus. Cho-Pagle-Millhouse.... ughhh.

There's also the good ol' "just sit on everything and wait for next expansion" option, but that's boring and so far way

8. Pedeguerra

Yeah, if I were you I'd say Thirion is a safe bet, because honestly he fits in any pala deck.
    For the other slots, it really depends on what you feel like playing. Control Warrior takes a loooong time to play and master, I'd move away from that.
    So that would leave you with Antonidas or Warlock buds. I personally love handlock and its one of the best bgs out there, but then again, takes a while to master and play, I dont know if you are into that. Malganis is used a lot more, though, so Id craft him before Jaraxxus.
    To summarize: I'd recommend Thirion, Antonidas and Malganis.

Also, rank 2 achieved. Yeah boy, lets make it this weekend.

Ohmin likes this.
  9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I vote Cho-Tinkmaster-Millhouse.

On a more serious note...

Alexstraza: Good for: "Slow" Combo Decks and Control Decks. Historical: Examples: Freeze Mage, Control/Dragon Warrior, Handlock, Combo Druid*, Shaman Burn/Combo*, Control/Dragon Paladin, Dragon Priest, Malygos/Dragon Warlock. Also, probably the main reason it doesn't go into Patron is because there's not enough room, it's a "fast" combo deck in terms of playstyle (if not necessarily how long each game takes). Likewise with Oil Rogue.

*(Rarely, though Shaman Burn/Combo is rare to begin with.)

Antonidas: Good for: Almost every Mage Deck ever. Tempo, Freeze, even Mech. Probably the main things he doesn't see play in are Echo Giants, and the "lower-quality" Secrets Mage.

Grommash: Good for: Control Warrior. I could see an argument for him being in a select few Mid-Range Warrior deck builds but that's not something I'd recommend any time soon.

Tirion Lannister: Good for: Being a smart-ass Dwarf- er, almost every Paladin Deck. Aggro Paladin exempted for obvious reasons.

Vol'jin: Good for: Mid-range and Control Priest. You can probably squeeze him into Dragon Priest as well. Like Tirion, he's generally useful.

Mal'ganis: Good for most Warlock decks which use Voidcaller and/or other Demons. This can include certain variants of Handlock, as well as several Mid-Range and non-Handlock Control builds. Personally, I'd choose him before JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!!! due to the flexibility of deck-types (mostly the inclusion of Mid-range builds).

JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION!!! TRIFLING GNOME, YOUR ARROGANCE SHALL BE YOUR UNDOING!: Good for: Handlock, Control Warlock. Is very good, but also can be risky. Less flexible in deck use than Mal'Ganis, also has the problem that half of his effect is also already mimicked by a self-targeted Alexstraza. Still a great pick, but based on what you've said and my own personal bias, I'd get Alex and/or Mal'ganis first.

Ragnaros, The Firelord: Good for: Any Control deck, including Control Warrior, sometimes Freeze Mage, Handlock, Control Priest, non-Combo Ramp Druid, and can also work in several of the slower Mid-range builds of various classes, and can be particularly useful as a finisher for Paladin Control, which generally lacks burst damage potential, though currently Secret and Mid-Range Paladin decks are the primary "meta" picks.

Al'Akir: Good for: Mid-Range Shaman, Shaman Burn/Combo. I wouldn't really say he's B-tier to be honest, but if you're not interested than that's your prerogative.

Harrison Jones: Good for: Movie references. Also, is a staple for many as a Tech card, one which goes in and out of their decks based on the meta. Primarily, it is useful for Combo, Control, and Mid-range decks, where Aggro will be better off going with Ooze or possibly even Pirates. Also not B-Tier, but certainly more specialized than alternatives.

Thalnos the Bloodmage: Good for: Freeze Mage, Oil Rogue, Shaman Burn/Combo, Malygos Warlock. Not to give you too many options and over-complicate your diagrams, but if you don't have him, he's worth considering and oft forgotten.

So what I'd do if I were you: Get Alexstraza and Antonidas, you seem quite interested in Freeze Mage to begin with, and also they both have a relatively large amount of flexibility (Alexstraza horizontally and Antonidas vertically). They are grade AA.

*cough*

Anyway, I'd maybe wait on the third, see how you feel about what you can and want to play after getting your fill of Freeze Mage perhaps.

But that's just my own view. I do favor Combo and Control decks personally, so my bias' might not be that helpful for you depending on what it is you really want to do.

Pedeguerra and Jib like this.
  10. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

I called Alakir B-Tier because he'd be a nice addition to my mid shaman but the deck seems to be doing just fine without it, I just run Neptulon in there for now. Just not a top priority.

Freeze Mage isn't exactly the thing I want to play the most but seemed like the easy branch out when you consider Alex being touted as a must have legend like Boom and Sylvanas. I know I need to get it at some point so might as well get it over it. Guess I wanted the "generic" stuff so I could upgrade in various builds. A neutral makes sense but seems in my spot going with the auto-include class ones would be better.

Tony-Thirion-Malganis might be the WAY.

Already have Thalnos, he's my bro.

Thanks for your input.

Ohmin likes this.
  11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Fair enough, I wouldn't run both Neptulon and Al'Akir in Mid-range Shaman, certainly, so I get what you're saying there.

Regardless, I hope you have lots of fun with whatever you choose to craft.

I myself have enough dust to craft a Leg and I'm very much not sure what to get. Part of me says: "Just craft Dr. Boom already you moron!" But the other part of me things: "Yes yes, but Grommash, Antonidas, or Ysera would be so much more fun!" This would also be the first time I actually crafted a Leg for HS too.

Even worse, I start thinking about getting some Epics like Echoes of Medivh, The Mysterious Challenger, Dreadsteed, and so on. At least I've got my full playset of Sea Reavers* already!

*sigh*

*(Having messed around with them in an Enrage-Tempo deck, they aren't THAT bad... but... yeah... they aren't good either.)

You can doo eet!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Pedeguerra likes this.
  12. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Seriously. Just do.

13. Pedeguerra

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Legend rank obtained baby!!!!!!!!

Time to back the firk off the grind!! phewwww

Ragic, Jib, Ohmin and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Congratulations. Did the reward screen say anything about tournament points?

15. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

Guys, in Warcraft it's Tirion. Thirion is the KF dragon-plant.

PUT YOUR FAITH IN THE LIGHT!

BurnPyro and Ragic like this.
  16. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

grats

TIHIHIHIHIRION

17. Pedeguerra

No, not really. just card back message and ranked reward chest.
    Its soooooooooooooooo good to play and not fall back to rank 1 again, its awesome.
    Also 100 wins away from gold pala yay!

18. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

Now if someone being interviewed in a hearthstone world tournament mentioned their pox background THAT would be advertising. Get on it.

19. 19madfox95

19madfox95 I need me some PIE!

Even better would be if somebody had some hero from Poxnora as username, you always talk about the story behind username!

20. Pedeguerra

Hahaha, that would be awesome indeed.
    However, I have no plans of going up in ranks anytime soon, the grind to legend took a while and now I want to back off from the competitive HS for a bit.
    Maybe next time I push for it.

Even better if said player had a username way before said rune, and the rune was named after the player! That would be swell!

19madfox95 likes this.