Hearthstone players, unite!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Pedeguerra, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

So I was trying to figure out if I could do something with my Blood Warriors, not because I think it's a good card of course, but just because I think it's an interesting card.

The most natural fit of course is an Enrage/Patron deck. I also remembered one of my oldest attempts at making an Enrage deck before Patron (or GvG for that matter) was even a thing. It had involved making use of Battle Rage, Commanding Shout, and Wild Pyromancer. A good combo but relatively inconsistent. I figured I may as well drag it back up, particularly since Commanding Shout has many more uses, such as with Blood Warriors and Grim Patron.

Needs tweaking, but this is what I'd come up with so far:

2x Execute
    2x Whirlwind
    2x Warbot*
    2x Fiery War Axe
    2x Battle Rage
    2x Commanding Shout
    2x Armorsmith
    2x Wild Pyromancer
    2x Blood Warriors
    2x Frothing Berserker
    2x Ravaging Ghoul
    1x Death's Bite*
    2x Bloodhoof Brave
    2x Grim Patron
    1x Emperor Thaurissan
    1x Iron Juggernaut*
    1x Grommash Hellscream

*(Wild Only, replace as needed for a Standard deck. I'd probably go with Blood to Ichor and/or Cruel Taskmaster in place of Warbots, not really sure with Death's Bite or Juggernaut, whatever seems to work for you I guess.)

Being able to copy Juggernauts has been quite interesting, it's more difficult to pull off properly compared to just bouncing with a Brewmaster, but you (usually) have a much better board presence, and Blood Warriors has other applications that the Brewmaster would be useless for in this deck. There is something to be said about seeing your opponent take 20 damage at the beginning of their turn when they draw mines back to back though... so very satisfying.

Obviously, other options are available, and it isn't even the point of the deck. I just wanted to explain why I put it in in the first place.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  2. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

Nah, I do, was just trying to be funny.

On HS news, forgot how hard was the grind from 5 to legend. Don't know if I have the will, was already at rank 4 and fell all the way down to 7. Now Im at 5 again but oh boy.
    Still 9 days to go, though, I might make it.

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I've just started playing HS. I only have a half dozen games played. The new C'Thun mechanic seems really over powered, but only if you can survive long enough to get to it. I've been trying it with a Warlock so I can draw it faster. At this point it isn't a problem of getting the card in my hand, but a summoning cost problem. I need to figure a way to summon earlier. I don't anticipate it being a very competitive deck, but it's still fun to deploy and wipe the opponent's board.

4. Pedeguerra

Nice man, welcome on board. If you would like, I can put your username on the OP, just let me know.
    Yeah, C'thun decks were all over the place when it got introduced, now only a handful remain competitive.
    I dont find it overpowered at all - sure, when someone drops a 20/20 C'thun that clears your board you may think "holy crap this is the strongest rune in the game". However, 90% of the times the C'thun player was already winning anyway, so dropping him is like icing on the cake.
    And here is my reasoning to think like I do: TURN 10 CARD. Most of HS games are decided waaaaaaaay earlier than that, and specially in the lower ranks the meta is filled with aggro decks. Basically, even if you draw C'thun, it shouldnt matter because you wont be able to deploy him.
    However, against late game bgs its a top tier material, simply because most of C'thun creatures are good enough on their own, so you can hold on until turn 10 with no problem at all (against midrange and late game bgs).
    One advice: Warlock is probably the worst champion to play a C'thun deck with, basically because you need to survive until turn 10 and Warlock isnt a class to "survive". But if you are having fun, do your thing.
    Oh, and you should think about including Emperor Thaurissan in your deck, he makes the mana cost on cards cheaper.
    Cheers!

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm darklord48#1936 on battle.net. I've found I can go toe to toe against warriors, priests, druids, and paladins well enough at my level. Mages are the toughest. I lose if they polymorph C'Thun, but only if he doesn't kill them when I summon him. My C'Thun is typically 20/20 or higher, and I focus all my energy on killing creatures until C'Thun comes out. I also have Doom in my deck, which I've cast a couple times when my opponent has a vast army to allow my C'Thun to eliminate my opponent with less targets for damage.

6. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I just got my first Legendary, Confessor Paletress. I also started playing ranked with my C'Thun deck. I'm 4-0, but I don't think that means much, I was against a priest that didn't seem to understand taunt.:eek: Any advice would be appreciated.

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=170636/warlock-cthun
    Warlock (10)
    Corruption 2
    Mortal Coil 2
    Voidwalker 2
    Drain Life 1
    Summoning Portal 1
    Usher of Souls 2

Neutral (20)
    Voodoo Doctor 2
    Beckoner of Evil 2
    Loot Hoarder 2
    Novice Engineer 2
    Twilight Geomancer 2
    Alarm-o-Bot 1
    Disciple of C'Thun 2
    Twilight Elder 2
    C'Thun's Chosen 2
    Skeram Cultist 1
    Doomcaller 1
    C'Thun 1

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
  7. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Mind listing what Warlock cards you have available because with what I see so far you may be better off playing Cthun with another class, that deck brings nothing except the hero power.

Drop Alarm-O-Bot as well, like 2/3rds of your minions are Battlecry.

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Yeah, I learned that about the Alarm-O-Bot the hard way, it summoned my C'Thun. That ended my win streak at 7.

For Warlock I have everything through level 16 and the cards below.
    Summoning Portal
    Drain Life
    Darkshire Librarian
    Darkshire Councilman x2
    Usher of Souls x2
    Doom

9. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

You can't really abuse Councilman in a Cthun deck but honestly I think it would be a better include than Corruption and Portal. Throw in a Shadow Bolt or 2 as well. Hellfire wouldn't be a bad idea either if you get run over by aggro decks.

Pedeguerra likes this.
  10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Corruption I've been having good luck with removing large creatures. I usually hold back a taunt champ and summon it and use the corruption at the same time to prevent the big creatures from getting to me. The portal has been hit or miss. Some games I summon it and 2-3 other creatures in the same turn, so it pays for itself, others it ends up costing me 2. I've replaced the Alarm'o'bot with a shadow bolt. Also I didn't have Drain Life, I had Doom.

Warlock (11)
    Corruption 1
    Mortal Coil 2
    Voidwalker 2
    Drain Life 1
    Shadow Bolt 1
    Summoning Portal 1
    Usher of Souls 2
    Doom 1

Neutral (20)
    Voodoo Doctor 2
    Beckoner of Evil 2
    Loot Hoarder 2
    Novice Engineer 2
    Twilight Geomancer 2
    Disciple of C'Thun 2
    Twilight Elder 2
    C'Thun's Chosen 2
    Skeram Cultist 1
    Doomcaller 1
    C'Thun 1

11. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

With C'Thun, even Warlock, you're generally going to be better off trying to find ways to "stall" the opponent rather than to reduce his costs.

Summoning Portal simply does not work well enough in my experience. You would be very likely better off using things like Hellfire or Shadowflame if you have them, to boost your ability to control the board and prevent your opponent from winning (hopefully) before turn 10.

While you'll never have the healing options of Paladin, Druid, or Priest, (or the Armor options of Warrior and Druid), Siphon Soul can be particularly important to help you get through turns 6-9 against more value oriented decks, if you're running up against them. Not sure if you have any yet, but they are simple enough to craft being Rares only, if you feel the need. It would at the very least likely serve you better than Corruption (which isn't bad, but very tricky to use and doesn't help as much with stalling in spite of the much lower cost), and possibly better than DOOM! unless you're up against a lot of late-game minions more often than not.

I also feel like your 2-drops are too "weak." Meaning that you've understandably focused a lot on card draw with Loot Hoarder and Novice Engineer, which helps you draw C'Thun faster... but you're sacrificing a lot of early game presence, which means you might lose faster (making that card draw relatively irrelevant).

Stronger 2-drops, like Flame Juggler or Acidic Swamp Ooze perhaps (if they've got a lot of weapons), could suit your needs better by allowing you to control the board and thus survive until turn 10. Those are rather general suggestions, choose whatever seems suitable that you have available at the time. If you do this, I'd go with cutting the Novice first, seeing how it is, and then cutting Hoarder if you feel you still need more stats in the early game (and/or get tired of Mages constantly killing it).

Pedeguerra likes this.
  12. Pedeguerra

Rank 3.
    I might be able To pull this off, But hardly - weekdays are wifedays.

13. Pedeguerra

Yeah, I'm not gonna try it. Peaked at rank 3, 5 stars yesterday, but was too tired and couldnt force myself to play more.
    Either way, I will try it and achieve it in july (I spent half of this season playing druid, will be easier playing only shaman).

Well Dmr, on Standard its pretty much the same to be completely honest. Most of the top bgs are netdecks, so its really easy to predict your opponents next move and whatnot.
    However, I liked the implementation. When I'm bored with Standard I just complete some quests in Wild, and I have fun with that because it allows me to see and play against a lot of different things.
    Point being, if you didnt like the game before, the chances are that you will still not like it.
    However, more game options might mean you could enjoy yourself more this time around.
    Oh, and the new adventure should come on August/September, and the designer has stated that they will be implementing something in Arena to reward the players who win the most. Not a rank per se, but something similar to that.

14. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I have a lot of fun with the breadth of options "Wild" offers, personally.

As a result I haven't played as much "Standard." (It seems fine, limited, but obviously a different meta which can be fun.)

Without knowing why you didn't like the game anymore, I can't really make any recommendation as to whether or not you should return. More cards and more game modes increased diversity of decks and such, but the basic gameplay is of course the same overall.

Since you left after getting all the new stuff, I think it's unlikely that Standard or Wild will really offer you what you're looking for... or maybe you'd just been burned out on the game? I dunno.

If it helps, there should be a new Adventure Mode release announced soon (if there hasn't been one already), based on their past scheduling of such releases.

15. Pedeguerra

Rank 12.
    I think I can make it this month.
    Oddly enough, I found the ladder this weekend quite a breeze compared to other begginings. No idea why, maybe I just mastered the deck.

16. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Aint been playing. Diversity is down to skillshaman and zoolock most games. Too much of a draw dependant matchup. Also playing other games.

Might check if the meta changes

17. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

Been playing Wild these last couple of days. It's actually fun (at hella low ranks) and not as degenerate as previously thought.

Of course Secret Pally is still bs but whatever...

18. Pedeguerra

Might be the EU region, Idk, but from my experience this is what I see most:

1) Shaman (aggro or midrange), Warlock (Zoo), Hunter (Midrange), Warrior (pirate/Cthun/Tempo) and Mage (Yogg). These bgs I see like 80% of the time, but still a nice diversity (8 decks).
    2) The other 20% would be Rogue (Miracle), Druid (Yogg), Paladin (Control) and Priest (Control).

So, all in all I'd say the diversity could be better but isnt terrible (compared to Patron and Secret Pala metas). I think it's fine.

Again, though, we have to consider region and time differences.

19. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

It's interesting how 8 decks in HS is considered "nice diversity" but 8 factions with 1-2 decks each in Pox would be considered "bad diversity."

There's a lot of factors involved here, of course.

20. Pedeguerra

I think Pox diversity is way better to be completely honest, which doesnt make for a better game (it is in some aspects, worse in others).
    Apples to oranges, really.

Edit: I have no idea how to meta is these days so I really cant say that the diversity is indeed better nowadays as far as Pox is concerned.