Help me with moga.

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by WhatTheHex, May 14, 2015.

1. WhatTheHex

WhatTheHex The King of Potatoes

Seriously I'm getting pounded by equips and by AoE effects (mainly FW stuff)
    Any ideas? I mean I could run diamond mace but wouldn't it just be easier if we actually got a shatter moga or g'hern?

Also by split personality. I main damage from range comes from G'herns and they just shut that down completely.

2. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

G'hern general can help against aoe spell damage, as can the font bonus.

Does cleansing emerald remove split personality?

Diamond mace is a great solution (and better than shatter on a champ, imo). It's on demand, wherever you need it on the board.

3. Garr123

Garr123 I need me some PIE!

What would a decent moga deck look like? A lot of them seem to cost a lot of nora. Kept me from spending any money/shards to test a deck out.

4. WhatTheHex

5. WhatTheHex

6. Garr123

He's good. But significantly less so if you don't draw dirge or if dirge gets blown up by a removal spell.

7. Raikan

Still pretty good, even then. If I had 2, I'd experiment with them in a meta bg w/ Dirge.
    I'm interested to see how succesful Moga bgs are with the new juggler. Each of those moga pups is an AOE2 14 damage bomb w/ G'hern Thrower.

8. WhatTheHex

You do need a way to set them off (moga cannon is pretty good) but if you kill your pups, you kill the surge dmg of your g'hern.

9. Garr123

Moga are still overcosted (I think this is supposed to be addressed next patch) and are sorta like pox hard mode, but when they work its fun.

10. Raikan

Very true. It's an interesting strategic choice. Build them for surge, or use them as AOE. I'm currently running 2 jugglers w/ firebomb and 2 moga sappers with death nova: physical. 1 firebomb is 44 AOE 2 damage (assuming the sapper can self destruct).

11. WhatTheHex

Wait wut the jugglers aren't 1 of max?

12. Raikan

They aren't-I have 2 in a bg.

13. Bellagion

Bellagion I need me some PIE!

I've played Moga for my entire Pox career (though not exclusively), usually in the top 100, pretty often in the top 20. They were viable prior to this patch, but right now they are very weak due to the recosted formula. I brought the topic up to Sokolov and it seems that he has taken note of it, so hopefully they will get some love when the midterm patch drops.

Their main weakness is that they have several almost unwinnable matchups--FW with Unholy Tomb being the biggest. The matchup is slightly more favorable now than it used to be since Festering Wounds, Tariff and Dread are not as commonly run as they used to be. That being said, cheap AoEs and champ-based AoEs are as prevalent as ever, and some of their other matchups are pretty much equally as problematic (Cyclops, for example, seem to be highly favored against Moga with their multiple bomb/cone-type abilities and Symbiot). Unfortunately, G'hern General and Spell Resistance can't help with those.

My advice would be to try Diamond Mace, as it is usually a safe rune slot for any SP deck, or even Pilfered Armory, although it can have poor results if you aren't careful about predicting when your opponent is going to play a key equipment. I personally dislike Moga Hunters, G'hern Thrower, Slaver's Whip and Havoc's Touch, but I can see how they could work in other people's playstyles.

I really love Moga, but not many people play them so they are often overlooked. At the top of my wish list for them are sandbags like Surge: G'hern, Berserk Attack, Hidden:Chasm going away, the 5 SPD G'hern moving up to 6 SPD, and any manual cost increases being taken off.

14. Raikan

Rather than a manual nora increase for cheap champs (+2, I believe in the last patch), a more elegant solution would be to apply a % reduction in (active?) ability costs as a champion becomes more expensive rather add a fixed amount to cheap champion costs. So it would be something like -1 nora for champions above 65, -2 nora for champions above 75, etc., with the actual numbers/% to be filled in later. There are a lot of reasons for this, i.e. 2 active abilities on the same champ have to share the same, limited AP pool; fixed cost spells/cc/relics get more bang for their buck by disabling a single more expensive champ; and more expensive champs are a tempo hit and more it more difficult to meat block your ranged. Finally, this looks more like a "buff" to expensive champions rather than a nerf to cheap champions. So the optics are easier to sell.

15. Bellagion

Eh, this solution has its problems as well. Specifically, the inverse argument can and has been applied to very cheap champions (ie. Moga) in that their abilities should be discounted because they have neither the stats nor the survivability to make long-term use out of them the way that meatier, more expensive champs can. For example, Moga Chef has lots of abilities that are useful but still isn't worth running because he currently costs like 60+ nora for a ~30 hp champion. He represents too much of a risk because he can be one-rounded extremely easily before he has a chance to get value out of his abilities.

Edit: Also, to clarify, the "nora increase" in the last patch was a redefinition of the costing formula, not a manual increase. The algorithm used to determine cost for hp was adjusted upwards, which means that most champs ended up with ~+2 nora on average, although DEF was reduced in price.

16. Raikan

Thanks--I thought the repricing of HP/Def was separate from an increase of +2 for cheap champions.

17. Bellagion

No problem. Yeah, I think the initial communication from the greens about it was unclear to many people.

18. Raikan

Thinking about this more, I wonder if the "right" solution is to accommodate both your point (seems valid to me) and mine. Ability pricing could decline as more abilities are placed on one champion (reflecting the fact that those abilities are sharing a single AP pool and that champion becoming an increasingly lucrative target for cc or spot removal), but ability should be reduced for champions with limited survivability (some combination of hp pool, defense and defensive abilities), which accommodates your point that abilities on more durable champions will get more uses in the long run. To use an example, invigorate might be a bit cheaper on a champion with 30 hp than a champion with 50 hp, and invigorate will be a bit cheaper on a champion with a more abilities. Maybe this is more effort than it's worth, however.