Help With Moga BG

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Curlyfuk, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Curlyfuk

Curlyfuk The King of Potatoes

2. MadLotar

MadLotar The King of Potatoes

Well, moga bgs used to be reliant on being so cheap they were able to seamlessly respawn before their opponent, G'hern were the powerful tank support.
    Have you tested the bg out yet?
    The only things I would probably suggest is taking the boom vendor and cook out for two other moga, maybe for slingers. You could probably take out the crypt and the nublin's surprise and replace them with another thunderhead totem and a vicious harpoon.

I also recall Dany90 (infamous moga player) playing with 20 champs in his moga bg. He is probably the only reason I can think of or the thrower being nerfed, as he was a top player that won consistently with moga.

I hope this helps.

ps: thrower is still viable since he has six range, surge moga, and overseer 3 upgrade.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. BloodAshes

BloodAshes The King of Potatoes

Being a long time since ive seen someone play moga.....those where the days...yep.

4. MadLotar

5. stfn

stfn Member

6. MadLotar

7. stfn

stfn Member

If you decide to go the route of instagibs, try to have both trappers deployed at the same time along with the Overlord. Stack both Fire & Rock Traps on one space and deal up to 38 unmitigated damage. Have a recruiter on the side to profit. Never use Moga Trappers to do damage unless you know it would kill something, they are explicitly used for laying Traps at strategic locations. Use Vicious Harpoon for Reach.

If your opposition looks impenetrable and deploying fragile Trappers would be a risk, instead drop Moga Hunters or Razors. Then drop a Totem of the Muses to increase your Pup count for Surged G'hern. Hunters and Razors are meant to be "Tanks" and work well together.

8. Curlyfuk

Curlyfuk The King of Potatoes

9. MadLotar

Yeah, I was just asking about the bg trap strat because I remember seeing kthx with a gimmick trap bg as well last year and it looked so similar to this one. No firebombers?
    Have you tried it out in ranked yet?

10. stfn

stfn Member

Haven't tried Firebombers but they look competitive with their buffs. However there are a lot of Fire Eaters/Resistance floating around. Running 2 Trappers and an Overlord is a light commitment to a strong tactic with a heavier focus on the slow buildup. The deck isn't revolved around the tactic, it is one of many tricks up a Moga's sleeves.

11. stfn

stfn Member

Currently your Battlegroup is Moga-light/G'hern-Heavy. Consider reducing 2 G'hern, MAT, Scout, Havoc's Touch, and Diamond Mace. I believe you are running a Scout for Detection, however Moga Hunters have Detection and even higher survivability than MATS. Take 2 Moga Hunters instead of MAT and Scout. Havoc's Touch is good when you have 30 Damage G'hern but until you hit that mark, it is a dead rune but when you hit that mark you are already winning. You need runes that help you get into the late game where Moga excel. Diamond Mace is decent but situational. Consider running Vertical Push as equipment/buff removal.

Some auto-includes you are missing are Vertical Push x2, Echo Chamber x2, and Moga Hunters. Good luck.

12. mario75

mario75 The King of Potatoes

13. stfn

stfn Member

G'hern should be limited to 4 optimally or 5 maximum. I'd cut the Thrower after Throw: Champion was given 1 CD. Also consider dropping the Tyrant. It is essentially a Razorback with less reach and more Nora.

The rest of the deck looks fine, although you might want to consider running more Spells and another Echo Chamber.

Questionable Runes are:
    Mika Feshcaller - I used to run her but have felt that my deck is stronger after removing her. It probably depends on your playstyle but she is too slow and passive. Doesn't offer reach or pressure, just buildup. Maybe I will bring her back in the deck but I haven't found any space for her in my deck.
    Reckless Spellhack - This guy only has 4 Speed outside of Overseer range. They are too squishy and cost a considerable amount at 38 Nora for maybe pulling off 2 Reckless Blasts and a font contest if they're lucky.
    Cleansing Emerald - Generally I treat my Moga as disposable aside from the Aviator and Recruiter. There isn't much I need to dispel and runeslot space is too vital.
    Diamond Mace - I run 2 VP for equipment removal. There isn't much OP equipment to warrant a mace.

14. stfn

stfn Member

15. MadLotar

People don't reckless spell hack for damage, they run him for his insane teleportation. Most people usually run one thugh.

16. stfn

stfn Member

Doesn't matter what people do. He isn't very meta or nora efficient. Nevertheless I mentioned his single font contest if he was lucky. It takes 4 AP to Teleport and 4 to Reckless Blast. He can't even move after doing each of those out of G'hernbound range, which he will be most of the time.

17. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

This is the Moga deck I've been toying with: http://www.poxbase.com/#!/deck/c4Ic...PC3vC94C2Oc5Ws3Is3ts7yS6Ys2us82r2Yr16r1irOe3p

It's not quite optimal (I don't own Razors), but I've gotten good mileage out of it. I find that people highly underestimate the damage provided by Peak Tactics; the AOE is huge, and Slingers get pretty scary with Flanking. It's more sustain-centered than most Moga decks; Piez, Emerald, Strength in Numbers, and some "odd" upgrade choices make the deck transition better into the late game. I've been wanting to throw in a second Moga Rumble Pack as well; that rune is crazy good in Moga. The deck is much less one-rounding-centric than stfn's builds, but that suits me just fine. Vertical Push is heavily overrated IMO, as are Trappers. It's one way of building Moga (and there are a great many), but it's not really my style. Just remember that big, confusing words like "meta" and "nora efficient" merely exist to impose boundaries on your creativity. Moga, and SP in general, is extremely diverse in the way it can build decks, so don't be constrained by competitiveness!

18. Raikan

Raikan I need me some PIE!

Maybe VP is overrated, but it's extremely versatile. For 1 deck slot, you get something that can be used as a high damage finisher, a spell to reset build up units or charges, and an anti-equip. I doubt it's really a 2x spell, but 1x seems like a very solid include in most groups.

19. stfn

stfn Member

Peaks Tactic works, but when you run 2x Razors it becomes less effective. Moga Rumble Pack is average compared to Mark of Kiergana. VP and Trappers are not overrated. Both have won me games in a single turn. Generally at high level Limited Rank play, one turn or one mistake is all you need to determine the game.

Words like "meta" and "nora efficient" exist to help you build a competitive battlegroup. By all means explore the decks out there and use all the skills and champions you want. I used to run Devour and it was awesome but too situational.

Assuming the original poster made a thread asking for help in building a battlegroup, he was looking for someone with more experience that can help him build a solid battlegroup to wins games. If he wanted to run a flavor deck, he would just run random runes. Moga and SP are extremely diverse. However Moga is slightly underpowered while SP is overpowered. You can win games with a bad SP deck and lose games on a good Moga deck because the margin of error is so small.