Hey Poxbase

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baskitkase, Feb 4, 2015.

1. SPiEkY

SPiEkY King of Jesters

I don't use Windows 8. I use Windows 7 and Debian

Nea likes this.
  2. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

While I was working on my degree, I ran Mint on my laptop because the classes were too easy using Windows. One of my textbooks was the Microsoft recommended book for Windows 7 certification. VIM was also my editor of choice. Now I'm doing mostly support for VMware and Windows servers, so any scripting I do is either a PowerShell variant or MSSQL. Now Notepad++ is my editor.

[​IMG]

Nea likes this.
  3. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I just read through this whole thread.

So much win.

Anima26 likes this.
  4. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

N++ is solid, I did use it on Windows myself, though I can't live without a full featured IDE these days, and luckily PhpStorm / WebStorm is cross platform so I can keep on hacking at my gaming PC at home, till I need to do something on the SQL via SSH, then I just cry.

And XKCD never disappoints.

5. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

For MSSQL I use a full featured IDE, but for powershell scripting, I usually just work it out in the command line, then drop it into N++ to save the script. N++ does all the coloring that an IDE does, so modifying scripts is easy enough.

Why can't you do the SQL via SSH from home? Your boss won't allow you what you need through VPN?

6. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

It's not that I can't, I put up an ssh tunnel with gitbash, but it's just painful compared to just using Sequel Pro. And I was just talking about PoxBase, for work stuff I just pull out my mac.

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

8. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I actually wrote a PowerShell script that would output another PowerShell script based on what it found on the drive of the computer it was run on.

9. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

For that kind of stuff on my windows machine I use mobaxterm (http://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/), it makes a lot of the SSH SFTP type of work a breeze. Plus then I can also continue to use my unix build tools while working under windows.

I have had a Mac for a long time (since being main dev on Pox) but while I do like it in many ways better than windows; my biggest pet peeve tends to be the purchase model. I hate having to spend 2K for a great mac only to have to spend 2K on the software that makes it awesome for all development. (Not true for all software, but lets face it it promotes purchasable apps over open source just like the phone.) Other then that, it is clean, solid and generally very fast for building, editing and doing most stuff us developers have to do on a daily basis.

As an aside, part of the purchasable issue is not as much a problem now that so many of the larger software tools are going to subscription models. Thus I pay over time for the tools that I can use on a mac or windows machine.

Just my .02. ;)

Nea likes this.
  10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

On the occasions that I need to support a Linux server, I use putty to SSH to the server, and WinSCP when I need FTP, SFTP, FTPS, or SCP connectivity.

11. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Hey there, haven't seen you around much!

That looks more robust than what I usually need (I don't have X running on any EC2 instance), I just use ConEmu with gitbash, it works reasonably well as a poor man's *nix terminal on Windows, and it supports ssh directly in terminal without having to use putty, so I can make an ssh tunnel there and connect to SQL with some GUI app on Windows (though I've yet to find one I like).

I typically don't mind paying for tools that I like (I've few staples, like Transmit and Charles), but including the IDE I can close within 200 bucks. OSX updates are free now too.

12. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Have you used MySQL Workbench as a GUI app to work on your SQL? I used that a lot in class and really liked the features it had.

13. DaisyDukeNukem

DaisyDukeNukem I need me some PIE!

I don't mind paying for tools either, it was more the point that it was the iphone app model instead of the more open source model of tools for Mac; cumulative it can get expensive if you aren't paying attention. Though to be honest I am looking for getting a mac to use at home alongside my dev laptop. It is nice that the OS is now basically free.

-----

I have used the MySQL workbench tool and it is pretty cool. From a design standpoint it is nice and clean and I love having the db design and merge tools contained in one package. Though for development I have been pushing to master Visual Paradigm as it includes a lot of the design processes packed in a single IDE including process design and what not. Personally, to me db management tends to be the easier part of the projects I work on. :)

14. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

I remember trying MySQL workbench ages ago, it looked totally different, I'll give it a try, anything that has built in SSH is an upgrade.

15. voodoov

voodoov I need me some PIE!

is there a way to search for example:
    all fw units with 7 spd?

16. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

Not atm, I might refocus on the database side of things, I've been pretty burned out with coding after hours last two weeks or so.

17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

<sarcasm> Burned out? You need to get back to work right now! What do you expect us to do, be patient!? We've grown accustomed to having Poxbase and if you can't make updates as quick as we can think about them, we'll have to find some other free website to get our information from. </sarcasm>

If you run into any database issues, I'm willing to take a look. It's been a while since I've worked in SQL regularly, but I could probably be a sounding board.

18. Nea

Nea I need me some PIE!

SQL is easy, I can write joins and sub queries with my eyes closed, UI and UX is what's killing me, I could just rush those but I'm afraid I care too much to make things crappy :p.

19. voodoov

voodoov I need me some PIE!

with the new buff tread sok opened i was wondering...

would it be much work to allow us to design own champs, with existing abilitys?

just add that to the random idea pile for pension :)

Leadrz likes this.
  20. Jib

Jib Better-Known Member

is it kill?