How can we increase the player base & boost the longevity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jayscales1, Feb 22, 2016.

1. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Only one way to improve longevity and that is to spend money on the game.

Also warning for those harping on making the game simpler, mobile, free-er, new graphic platform, whatever.... ALL That basically happened with conquest of champions and it's dead in the water now and it only had one expansion.

Best they can do is tweek to make the game enjoyable for the smallish niche community and be efficient in how they use their resources.

Gnomes, Sealer0 and Woffleet like this.
  2. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

well thats a suggestion, keeping things as they are... one flaw i see.. the Owls are running out of smallish niche community.

3. R334P3R

R334P3R I need me some PIE!

As far as I knew conquest was still in production and just being neglected by devs. Neglect will kill any game. And it's issue was being a Pox rip off, it's small, and pay to win. It's a niche game so the market will never be huge, but if poxs community came along with all the suggested updates, and it didn't get neglected, I think it would do great.

If funding is an issue, I bet we could get a good kickstarter/gofundme thing going if the devs would collaborate.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

There is a bunch of stuff coming this year (we are working hard on it right now) that should excite people. We are hoping it'll boost the playerbase significantly.

We'll announce more details when we are able.

soulmilk, Tweek516, Gnomes and 8 others like this.
  5. Bondman007

Bondman007 I need me some PIE!

Conquest failed for many reasons though (bugs, no sales or promos for new players, poor f2p model, and besides Steam, no advertisement). The biggest reason, and I stand by this, is that they did a Steam launch and guess what? Just like Pox, they were not ready for that community. Thousands of players stormed their server, tried the game, had no steam or new player incentives, and within a month they left (and left angrily too as most players gave the game bad reviews).
    Unfortunately for Pox, its day in the sun has set and now it tries to desperately cling to the little population it has left which will eventually dwindle to the point that the game can no longer sustain itself. Until then, faceroll people with SP.
    Pox 2, WITH A PROPER STEAM LAUNCH would be the only saving grace for this game.
    My $0.02 worth, take it or leave it...

Pedeguerra likes this.
  6. Sokolov

Conquest didn't fail so much as it never started really. They had outside investors who did not want to spend on advertising or a full launch until they hit certain KPIs that were, frankly, unrealistic for a game of that type.

The game never came out of soft launch/beta. They were actually working on the mobile port when the company went under.

7. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

"How can we increase the player base & boost the longevity"

For starters, removing the somber tones people have concerning there being no new players. It's got to be a wonderful thing for some young lad to join the game, and come to the forums only to see that Pox is in such disarray. "Devs this, Devs that." "There no new players, Vets are leaving" "DOOM, THE END IS NIGH." With such a mess of pessimism, it's not surprising we have trouble keeping new players.

Smile once in a while people.

Yes. I am aware of how ironic this post is...

Tweek516, bambino, Kendoshi and 5 others like this.
  8. Bondman007

Aye, this is correct, however, they did have a Steam launch that utterly failed and ultimately was its death along with the investors.

9. Bondman007

Then BUFF more runes....nerfs are negative therefore they increase pessimism. The last patch was nothing but negative and even caused @Agirgis1 to leave (Not the patch itself but I'm sure the negativity didn't help much)....:(

10. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Okay i take issue with you using agirgis as an example. he didn't quit because of stuff getting nerfed. In general he's been struggling for well over a year to gather any consistent enjoyment of this game.

However i will concede that if the developers focused on making some of the stuff that's worst better and more enjoyable to play rather than only nerfing things he could have at some point found a new thing to get enjoyment from.

11. Sokolov

There are always a good deal of buffs every patch. Half the time people don't even notice them.

Lushiris likes this.
  12. Pedeguerra

Pedeguerra I need me some PIE!

I've heard this so many times that I don't believe it anymore, sorry.
    But hey, good luck with it.

13. skarpox

skarpox The King of Potatoes

There was a post up not too long ago about a noob wanting to get good. He asked the question about what it takes to get good, but all he received was the typical short list of advice. What this game needs is a mentoring program where the good mentor, not just help a little, but mentor the new player to becoming a solid player. I have been playing off and on since this game was released, and no one has ever taught at this level nor followed through on their offers. This would keep players around one at a tune.

14. skarpox

Disregarded again! And old players wonder why new players don't stick.

15. skarpox

Not true. I expected more than this from you. You know this game back and forth. You played to the top, left, and came back a little. Mentor people. The complexity of the game requires a high learning curve that only mentors can hand down.

16. Sokolov

One thing I personally do sometimes is sit in Training PvP queue so that if someone is doing that, they get a game fairly quickly.

And then I can engage with them about the game and help them out.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  17. Kendoshi

Kendoshi I need me some PIE!

Some kind of New Player League, which only players can join that have less than 100 ranked wins(number up to discussion). That way new players can play vs others without getting stomped. Reward them with core runes on wins like in the campaigns, aswell as tokens for every third win(rewards also up for debate).

Poxnora while having singleplayer aspect in the game, is designed as a PVP game. They should have a playground for themselves before going into deep water. Obviously they can still que into the "higher" ranked matchmaking.

We may see a bit longer que times, but lets be honest, for a veterans there is nothing to learn when facing new players and its not entertaining for either side.

18. R334P3R

R334P3R I need me some PIE!

That is basically what training matches are. And you need a much bigger playerbase for it to be effective. Also smurfs are why training matches do that job better.

19. yobanchi

yobanchi I need me some PIE!

Look, I like this game but I do not work for it. There is no other silver bullet other then simply playing it, supporting it financially, and enjoying it.

If you do not then it follows the regular life cycle of any game. Even in that case though this HAS lasted longer then all online games I've been interested in ( and most non online).

Also take into consideration that populations are notoriously low right before another release. Frankly this is predictable.

Keep posting keep playing keep paying. That's the solution.

20. Nerdhead

Nerdhead The King of Potatoes

Have you tried putting cards/trinkets in something like Lootcrate ? There are many nerdy subscriptions that would often show case games like this to the right crowd.

soulmilk likes this.