How to be(come) a better Player.

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by Silfeed, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Silfeed

Silfeed I need me some PIE!

I have played this game for a couple of years and learned quite a bit. But there's one thing I learned that made me become the player I am today. To be a better player, you have to accept that you are going to lose a lot of games. Not only that, you're going to lose to "unfair/unbalanced/unpopular" runes. I'll go into detail.

One key to being better is not dwelling on a lost because of a rune or combo your opponent used. If there was a rune that said if you play this, you automatically win, there's no doubt in my mind that there would be people playing it. Why? People want to win not matter the way. So your task to being a better player is to accept that you're going to lose games due to imperfections in the game. So what's the solution to that? You dust yourself off, you think of how you could have played differently. You watch that player play other people to see how they counter it. If you complain and "blast" them because they used an "unpopular" way of winning, you will set yourself up to lose in the long run. Every time you see someone play that deck, you've made up in your mind, you're going to lose cause you hav’t worked on countering it.

Another key is realizing that there is a counter to any and every type of deck you play. Eventually, you will play against that deck and probably lose horribly. Again, learn from your games. Complaining sets you back. I know a guy and you may see him in-game by the name of profhulk. Now profhulk is in the exo league but has played over 15k games. You may ask why he isn’t in limited. Profhulk plays whatever deck he wants. Has he lost to 'unpopular' decks? Yes. But he'll say, "They only won cause of rune X" and then, he'll play another game. He doesn't dwell on his loses; he keeps on playing, making him, a greater player.

Another key is that when playing any game in general, you have 2 paths to choose. To play for fun (sometimes referred to as the "fair" way), or to play to win (not always the popular way). Of course, these can be combined but generally it comes down to these 2. You play for fun, meaning you're probably going to lose a good bit of games in exchange for creativity. Or you can play to win, meaning you will play whatever you can to win. Playing to win doesn't necessarily mean you deliberately play broken things, but you play with a mindset that "I'm going to win, not matter what". No matter which path you choose, someone will complain, someone will get mad, but go with what you like, no matter what.

In conclusion, unfairness is a part of the game. You have to go with the flow (adapt to it, use it, or just quit when you face it). This is how you get better. It starts with the mind. If you go into a battle thinking you're going to lose, chances are, you might. Obviously though, practice makes perfect. Playing the ai will not make you better. You got to go through the bad to get the good. So I hope this helps and that you'll look at the game in different way. Not everyone can be number 1, but we All, can be better.

Woffleet and Agirgis1 like this.
  2. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

whats dat?
    Winstreak Jan.png
    hehe in all seriousness tho , you do have to endure a lot of losses...... and sure everyone can become #1 eventually , with enough hard-work and determination. Its all about not quitting when the hard times come..... the longer you can play consistently without losing heart , and without quitting , the more likely you will succeed to become a great player.

On that note you said path between fun and serious..... you can have fun and strive to be the best , but its a very different kind of fun.
    Its a fun full of hard times, challenges and failure.
    But you should still have fun when you are playing, and enjoy the successes you eventually earn :)

Silfeed likes this.
  3. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

What are you talking about, how many times have you PMed me saying you were gonna quit Pox after one loss to <insert OP BG here>?

4. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

but i didnt , :D

5. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

You did at least twice.

6. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

thats why im not the best yet :p

7. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

the main thing is that in pox (and most everything else), you're gonna be bad before you get good. if you can't accept that you being bad is a large part of why you're not succeeding, rethink hopes of competing at any real level. there's no one at the top who didn't get there by losing, odd as that sounds

Sealer0 likes this.
  8. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

I won to rank up, wot u chattin m8

9. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

if you care about rank, just play all day after a rank reset

then continue to play all day for all the days after that

10. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

but winning all day ye????

11. Spritesgc

Spritesgc New Member

Personally, I think the bigger issue in the game is not even the OP runes or decks. I guess it's more the playerbase itself.
    I mean, the amount of players is pretty low, currently 200 players online on average, and about 90~100 players on PVP server, and I'm pretty sure the majority of them are not new players.
    Chances are you're going to face veterans a lot. And by facing veterans, I mean getting steamrolled.

I'm not so competitive. I don't want to be a top-notch league player. I just play for fun.
    Of course winning is always a good thing, but also I don't mind losing 1, 5 or 10 games in a row as long as I have the feeling that I've played a good game, that I did my best or that I can figure something out to turn the table.
    Something like: "Ok. I've made some mistakes. But that's fine because he also made some mistakes. I think I can find some way out of it and try to fix that."
    But what fun do I have by facing players who exploit every single mistake I do? Players who knows very well all the optimal way of dealing with a certain situation?
    How fun is it to face players who have played 2k, 3k or 5k matches and have been through almost everything? Again? And again?
    I think it's just not fun.

"But you can learn from them. Things will be better in a long term."
    Yes, I can. But then, to be exploited again on another mistake and so on.
    How long does it is going to take so I can finally have fun on playing a PVP match? Because a game is meaningless if it's not fun.
    Why can't it be fun while I learn and make some progress through the game?

I know and I'm sorry it sounds just like a rumbling complain, but honeslty I just don't have any motivation or incentive to play PVP.
    Believe or not, I have more fun playing against the dumb, stupid and boring AI that depoys its unit in the chasm than taking the risk of being hopelessly crushed on PVP, again.
    And the reason why I haven't quit it yet is because I like the concept and the ideas behind the game.

12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i think that's a valid point. it's hardly the first time it's been brought up, too (not that that makes it any better, just mentioning as more of a "you're not alone" sort of thing).

what i want to say is this- first, most of the veterans you play against will not be particularly good. they do not, in fact, know how to exploit every mistake you make and catch every misstep. or even most of them. they just know more than you do because of their higher level of experience, and the net result is that you're still newer and make more mistakes while probably having a worse deck. this adds up to more losses for you against most veterans.

you can try asking them if there was anything they noticed that you could have done differently, although responses will vary- some people will be significantly more or less useful than others, take everything with a grain (or two) of salt.

probably the best advice i can think of if you want to try playing competitively is to familiarize yourself with all the runes in the game. you don't need to go hguely inn depth, but knowing what they're intended to do, when/if they're likely to be used, that sort of thing. it's hard to start out, but keeping up is pretty easy. your other option is just to keep track of what's being played commonly, and get used to that

a little knowledge goes a long way. all the knowledge goes further.

aside from that, i'm sure you could find or make a group of new players that doesn't particularly like feeling as though they're getting constantly stomped by better/older players. there may not be the most people in it, this isn't exactly a huge game, but it seems doable.

i dunno. good luck. (also, don't be afraid to ask questions)

13. Agirgis1

Agirgis1 Forum Royalty

PoxAcademy guild is full of new players who play against each other , while we also try to help them improve and learn the game !. :)

Also nice to see your wisdom dagda , id actually love to read pox stuff bout GettingGud(GG)TM that you would write , if ever :D

14. Spritesgc

Spritesgc New Member

That's some nice advices. It changes the mood, I guess.
    And I guess I'll check out this guild later. Seems interesting.
    Appreciated.

15. Silfeed

Silfeed I need me some PIE!

Dadga brought out some real good points. I just wanted to add though that I have played numerous games and for the most part, you're going to have those types of people. They will create new accounts just to get a higher rank. I have lost plenty of games to lvl 1-5 ppl. I mean, there's no real getting around that other than not playing them when you realize it. But I believe it was agrigis that said about pox academy. Especially beginning, a guild is an excellent idea and I like the way that pox academy is doing things. If you are having that problem, I would suggest you get into an active guild where you can play practice games against mates. After you've got the feel for the game through your guild, then do some "create" games if you don't feel up to rank games. I probably do 1 rank game every 2 weeks and the rest are create games.

16. Spritesgc

Spritesgc New Member

Yeah, I should probably do that soon.
    Thanks