How to beat super range, super speed decks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by edmek55555, Jan 28, 2017.

1. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

So lately I have been playing a bunch of people running (usually IS) super fast, super long range decks. Are there any good checks to this? Getting attacked by 8 speed units twice every turn from anywhere from 4-8 range and not being able to catch them is really hard to counter.

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

can you be more specific? what is it you were fighting.. No names plus obvious exaggerations don't leave much room for us to identify an issue.

3. edmek55555

Nope, no exaggeration. It was 2 dwarven alchemists, Ironfist minister ( who was hitting mid 30's damage, though his damage was at 12), and 2 pontiffs of al'mara. I don't know if any spells were played which I suspect they were considering none of them had equipment. It was either contest the font and get slaughtered or let them gain a ton of ground and build ap. It was a lose lose

4. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

arrow eater, sapping armor. any sort of deck that punishes direct damage, shrine rushing.

5. edmek55555

any recommendations for decks that punish direct damage? Sounds like something I would have fun running. Unfortunately I was running a spider bg and no arthropod I am aware of has arrow eater which is unfortunate

6. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

depends on the faction. For FW, bone cloaks and bone elementals come to mind, as well as soultap feed backs. For UD, pincushions.

7. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Boarspider has arrow eater.

Fentum and DiCEM0nEY like this.
  8. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

UD has Orb of Protection which directly reduces ranged damage. UD also has Mindlsicer Obelisk which increases the AP cost of ranged attacks. IS is pretty dang strong, of course.

9. edmek55555

Thanks for the suggestions! Yeah, IS normally gives me major trouble with paladin bgs but this one was far worse.

This will definitely help. I also think just playing defensive and getting out as many arthropods as possible would have been smart in retrospect. Protect the nest plus a couple broodmothers over a couple turns would have forced the enemy to come to me before it got out of hand

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

How did their damage get that high? Could you elaborate more?

11. edmek55555

That's the part I don't know. No equips. I had no vulnerabilities. Even with boosts their damage was displaying as 12. He had drunk but I figured that boost factored into the damage stat. Only thing I can figure is maybe there was some sort of spell effect I missed

12. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

UD does better than most vs range.

Good advice above. Pincushion, Boarspider, vothsairs, demon shield, orb of protection, mind slicer obelisk, boundless enthusiasm plus manic to close gaps. Etc

13. edmek55555

I really dislike pincushion however the others are good ideas, especially the boar spider for this particular bg

14. IronStylus

IronStylus I need me some PIE!

Oh you play ud and cant rely on any arrow eater unit? think strategically and claim the area that will be most problematic to pontiffs and cast breath of ash. Its a direct dmg punish (% reductions makes them waste ap in longer run) and last 5 rounds. laggs for me tho when it wears off