How to deal with Hurry-Recall-Acidic Gale Combo?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sirius, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Sirius

Sirius I need me some PIE!

Ok, so I just faced someone running a bg that went like this: Summon Dragons, double Cairvoyance, Fae Oracle, double Infestor, Centaur Regulator; then start chaining Hurry and Recall and cast Acidic Gale to blow a champion off the map, then repeat to blow away another one etc. . It also featured a bunch of adaptive champions that could easily get to 40-60 damage and 80+ HP.

[​IMG]

I had over 1500 nora before I finally surrendered. Oh, and the highest Acidic Gale damage dealt was 690.

Now, my question is simple: how do I deal with this bg? First of all, I didn't see it coming. A "Summon Dragons, double Cairvoyance" opening suggested a Solitary Garu super buff bg, so I immediately stopped scrying after the first one, to preserve HP. I also started deploying anti-stealth, Flame Wall champions etc. . In short, I was on the defensive.

My next theory was that he was running Energy Overload in which case I had lost and there was nothing I could ever do about it. But for some reason, he never used it. He kept spamming Acidic Gales and getting his Adaptive champions stronger. I don't know why someone wouldn't run Energy Overload in this deck, there's no good reason not to. Maybe he was just having fun with high numbers.

My only "counter" was casting Protection on a unit to defend it from Acidic Gale. But, I only had 1, it was temporary, and he could just blow me up with his 40+ damage Adaptive champions. Reclaim is also a partial counter, but I hadn't revealed it. Not scrying certainly didn't help there.

I'm thinking about what I could've done. A Channel champion could've helped, but it was a partial solution. Opponent can still gen a ton of nora for me in his turn and besides, the Adaptive champions are still around. Not to mention that a Channel champion doesn't even fit well in my bg.

So, I don't know. What do you guys think?

2. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Backlash

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Backlash (or other anit-gen), rush down the front, crush the Infestors, certain Spell Seals -- those are your best options. This deck has been discussed plenty. It functions off a bug, though, because Nora Pearls isn't supposed to stack.

4. Sirius

Does Backlash actually work though? For some reason I thought it doesn't because it would hurt my own Shrine. I assume you're saying that it hurts the Infestors, not the Shrine.

But then, the question is: what if I don't draw my Backlash? This is very important, because my opponent has a big advantage when it comes to revealing his own runes. Even if I deployed it a bit later, he could just blow it off the map with what he's gathered in the meantime. Or my Shrine could get blown up.

Also, how does one "crush the Infestors"? They're considered friendly.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Put pressure on them to force an extra real champ deploy, wait until you see Infestors drop, then respond on your turn by deploying your Backlash option as far away from opposing champs and spell presence as possible. Proceed to roll the inferior deck.

6. Sirius

Alright, but once again, what if I don't draw my Backlash in time? Is it over? Is there anything else I could do in such a case?

7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Statistically unlikely, but in that case, you wait until you draw Backlash, deploy it, and then respond to what he has left on the field. You should have the nora to flood with champs after that, and the opponent's options for deploys are greatly reduced. Don't over-deploy into the first opportunity. Without Energy Overload, the deck has to slow-roll its win.

8. Sirius

Why would someone NOT run Energy Overload with this?

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Because it is currently banned from Ranked play on account of this exact interaction.

10. Sirius

I see.

11. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

I'm incapable of commenting on this without being insanely sarcastic, so I just won't.

12. Sirius

Hey, feel free to do whatever you'd like with the thread. I'm pretty much quitting the game anyway, unless I can find a top deck that counters everything (unlikely) and that I also enjoy playing. I have no business being in a game that was built to behave like a board game but then proceeds to introduce multiple "hard counter this with specific cards or lose" scenarios. The only way I could still enjoy that kind of dumb game was if I had a lot of fun with a deck that was also very powerful.

Anyway, I got all I wanted to know out of this thread guys, so thank you.

doubtofbuddha likes this.
  13. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

When infestors become friendly do you have complete control over them? I wonder can you use sacrifice spells/abilities on them(forced reconstruction, Sacrifice, Burnout, Goresplosion, Retribution)? Abilities like consume, and Rite of Creation/Destruction/Power might be good to if the infestor truly becomes friendly. The best counter I can think for that acidic gale cheese is the aforementioned abilities and spells to auto sacrifice infestors. The only spell I know that will turn the tables on this bullshit is to run the FS spell Nora Artillery which will empty your nora bank and turn all the nora into a nuclear AOE 3 magic damage bomb. In your situation the magic dmg from nora artillery will kill anything except magic immune. Goku spirit bomb on crack.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  14. Bpets

Bpets New Member

Obligatory Can I have your stuff post

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

You can also rush Infestor setups, and putting pressure on the deck is surprisingly effective, once you get the hang of it. Unfortunately, you can't cast spells on the Infestors unless they are in spell presence from some other source, as Possession grants Faithless.

16. R334P3R

R334P3R I need me some PIE!

Ah yes I am rather proud of the deck, get combo out real quick with all those scry effects, usualy long before I can get countered. Happy to get credit for my little abomination. Everyone seemed to give up on the deck when overload got banned, I still saw its potential and made it my own.

17. Daerthalus

Daerthalus Devotee of the Blood Owl

Didnt Infestors get banned due to some other wierd interaction, or was that reversed.

18. R334P3R

They did awhile ago with the baneshift interaction, but they got unabanned, with baneshift just left banned. Then ipox found nora pearls stacked, and there was the energy overload craze, which got banned. And now I have picked up the legacy and made something new.

19. R334P3R

Infestor, infact the fs relic does not work since you control it.

20. Flyingfinn

Flyingfinn I need me some PIE!

Ah infestor...