How to Save Poxnora with 1 Expansion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorian, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Vorian

Vorian I need me some PIE!

Its quite simple we power in on the Cthulhu Mythos as it isnt copyrighted, and we could increase the player base by an easy 100k. We just need to bring out a Great Old Ones expansion where we introduce the Protectorate Gods and Angels being the Great Old Ones, and the wrath devils being the outer gods.

My avatar looks like a Firk because Cthulhu is by far the most powerful Firk Angel of all time. He is their Mighty Lord and Savior. He doesnt have feathered wings, but would you really expect an Amphibious Firk to have feathered wings?

As Cthulhus polar opposite in charge of wrath and UD, you could have the undisputed ruler of cosmic chaos azathoth the demon sultan as his nemesis. I have even created flavour text for this expansion to descripe the recent events in Poxnora.

"The end is nigh! We must repent and bow down to our Sporegill lords before its too late! "~ Len the Weird Uncle

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/summon-azathoth.29314/

"Len was right we must prepare!"
    The Throne of the Circle

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/len-the-prophet-of-azathoth.29319/

"D'elim you were right to burn down the forest on your uncles warnings of the Sporegill apocalypse, unfortunately your uncle has succumbed to madness"
    Menalaeus

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/summon-the-green-god.29320/

"Watch out Throne of the Circle Len and his nephew have succumbed to azathoths madness, follow them and it will be the doom of Kthir. I will try and replenish your forests."

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/summon-cthulhu.29134/

"Our Mighty Lord and Saviour has appeared, now to stop the madness spreading around Kthir!"
    Karth Finlord

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  2. MEATMAN

MEATMAN Forum Royalty

I don't really see the 100k coming in. I enjoy Lovecraft horror as much as the next freak but it doesn't make me stick around to play any of the games that have it.

what needs to happen is cleaning up and then we can worry about expansions besides maybe a minor one at best to keep people happy.

Hell I still love this game so much i'd buy some boxes just to keep up the collection but probably won't play for long until things get a little more stable in the client.

Anima26 likes this.
  3. Vorian

People make games which bring in 10s of millions about the Lovecraft Mythos, Cthulhu Monarch on Facebook has 325k likes alone.

4. Anima26

Anima26 I need me some PIE!

This really. Plus higher number of active players but thats a bit of a vicious circle.

5. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

stability or content, it can't be one or the other.

it sucks but a game cannot in this day and age have either issue and expect to keep their player base, and right now pox has both as an issue.

The way I look at it every players has a "red line" that when crossed they leave, they may come back but eventually they don't. for me it's boredom and stagnation, when nothing comes out of interest, the patches stop rolling and nothing is changing I leave. for others it's when they can't even complete a game without some stability bug in the client causing a problem, for others it's something different entirely, but pox is not doing anything right now to retain players.

to be honest though an expansion is not the only way to breathe life into pox, pretty sure if soko had the ability to patch frequently he could create expansions worth of content by patching runes into playability status alone, he could literally due no expansions and keep the game as interesting as pox has ever been, but I doubt that will happen.

6. Silveraine

Silveraine I need me some PIE!

It's waaaaay past Cthulhu's power to save this game in one expansion.

Kampel and Anima26 like this.
  7. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Even with all the bugs and UI craziness, I still LOVE this game. It is pretty easy to play good games with only the occasional bit of bug nonsense causing havoc.

My biggest issue is player base. I haven’t been able to get a pvp game the last three times I logged in.

I’d be more than happy to play the existing game as is ‘forever’. Even with the bugs and with no new runes.

It might be my boardgaming background. I would be pretty happy playing just release set vs real players. Extra stuff is just gravy.

MaruXV, bambino and attio26 like this.
  8. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

then your red line is the player base, which is dwindling...

more expansions + stable client would mean the player base would dwindle slower even possibly grow.

Fentum likes this.
  9. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

totally agree,
    ive always said , give the game a polish, the ability to set our own parameters would give us endless re-playability,
    --game types settings :leagues, tourneys, random cards (draft), etc
    mode.
    --game modes settings : only commons/rare etc, highlander, </> nora cost, coliseum, etc
    and of course standard rankings and play.
    I too could play the game 'forever' as is .
    Kinda like chess, risk, pox, axis and allies, just great games to play with friends that never get old.

Fentum likes this.
  10. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

Add ‘Gloomhaven’ to that list

11. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

pox IP is incredibly strong and does not need crossovers imo. the game is not struggling due to lack of interesting IP.

Fentum likes this.
  12. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Pox is past is prime being it back will be close to impossible unless they have a ton of funding

13. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

no man all it takes is some pop culture references and this 10 year old niche strategy game will be raking in the dough

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  14. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

Don’t forget boobs
    Lots and lots of boobs

EternalSeito likes this.
  15. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

So basically an entire expansion devoted to Firk?

16. EternalSeito

EternalSeito The King of Potatoes

Just make a short promotional video featuring *THIS* and release all over the internet. #1 trending in Japan! :D:p

bambino and Anima26 like this.
  17. Vorian

In short Kthir is going through some madness at the moment in the lore and who better to be power behind it than the daemon sultan and lord of cosmic chaos himself azathoth? I am just trying to explain the madness in Kthir with some lore I made up. I am talking about an expansion where for 100 nora Protectorate can summon some Great Old One Archangels for 1 turn, and wrath can summon some outer/demonic devils.

That would be awesome! But what I was suggesting is introducing Cthulhu as the Archangel of Forglar. If they brought out a Cthulhu expansion I would switch to Prot in a second. The whole idea is not to change the lore just add lore, because atm we don't know who Forglar Swamp look up to. Firk are Cthulhus race after all so it would make sense if he was their Archangel. Cthulhu from his mythos isn't meant to be a bad guy, that's azathoth the daemon sultan and lord of cosmic chaos. People just jump to the conclusion that because Cthulhu isn't human he must be a demon which is complete and utter BS! Firks have Angels to and I am making a stand for Firk rights!

I reckon no one expected me to say I would consider playing Protectorate, but I would switch my collection of Runes to being Prot if they got some Great Old One Angels.

In the campaign for the expansion you could kick UD out of Kthir and then have a final showdown between Cthulhu and azathoth.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  18. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Just stop, no one wants this.

19. bambino

bambino I need me some PIE!

Yeah, , id prolly go with boobs in Japan idea and stuff. :)

20. potatonuts

potatonuts I need me some PIE!

I just want to know which game has '10s of millions' playing it because Cthulu.

newsbuff likes this.