Hyaenid

Discussion in 'Shattered Peaks' started by Zythraak, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Zythraak

Zythraak The King of Potatoes

How are they now? I played them briefly when they first became a real theme. (Ie, when headshrinkers, feshwranglers, pack leaders, and mundunugu came about) I haven't played them since the Djinn and whatnot came about... Would a Hyaenid exclusive BG be at all competitive? The executioners look really powerful clearing off all the dogpiled debuffs, and if dogpile works for assassinating, that would be really fun too. Are djinn used in hyaenid decks now? I didn't really like the idea of Hyaenid being slaves to weird spirit demon things...so I'd likely not include those, unless it's the hyaenid controlling the spirits? But being 'serf to the djinn' doesn't seem cool. xD Could anyone post a deck too please? Thanks!

2. Zythraak

Lol, does everyone hate hyaenids? xD

3. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

There are a number of viable approaches to Hyaenid, rather there were. I honestly haven't taken a close look at them, yet, to determine what still works (so much stuff to test!), but they were very flexible before. Due to the semi-conflicting goals of Dog Pile, Serf to the Djinn and Surge: Hyaenid (on 3 of 4 Djinn) it boils down to picking one or more to commit to and then choosing between champs that support your choice.

For example, running Hyaenid/Djinn typically works best by using only some Djinn (with Surge) and picking Hyaenids that compliment it. Peaks Dew was previously a strong ranged champ (7 Speed and Water Vortex, both of which were removed) that paired well with the melee Serf Hyaenids. Inversely, Peaks Ifrit was a sturdy melee champ that worked better with ranged hyaenid. However, as you mentioned, Hyaenid Executioner is more or less mandatory for Dog Pile heavy BGs.

But yes, pure Hyaenids are most certainly viable. At first glance, I'd recommend a champ lineup similar to the following:

2x Hyaenid Executioner (Rend 1 + Cackle)
    2x H. Feshwrangler (Tunnel: Earth 1 + Cackle)
    2x H. Headshrinker (Detection 2 + Jolt 1)
    2x H. Instigator (Initiative 2 + Poison 1)
    2x H. Mundunugu (Rabid 1 + Stall)
    2x H. Spearman (Weary + Scour 1)
    2x H. Stalker (Surge + Dogpile)
    2x H. Witchdoctor (Hex 3 + Distract)​

Hopefully, you'll notice that I've chosen upgrades that provide a diversity of negative debuffs for Executioner. Some of them may not be as useful as they appear on paper, so tweaking is obviously recommended. You have AP gen, Detection, spot mitigation (Shrink/Morph/Hex/Cackle), oodles of damage ramping and a nice variety of damage types (Physical, Electric, Acid and Sonic).

I didn't list Magical (which Spiritspeaker can provide), but I don't remember having a problem dealing with champs that normally need Magic damage given you can Morph away most problems (Ancestral Avenger!). Keep in mind that Spirit Channeling allows you to add AoE Magic damage on the fly if you later switch to Hyaenid/Djinn.

I'll see if I can't play a few games as well for a more thorough analysis :p

4. Zythraak

Thanks! I like the look of that deck, lots of range and flexibility, I will definitely try it. Hyaenid have always been my favorite SP theme and I was thrilled when there were fleshed out. Now I just need to find some witchdoctors, the rest will be easy to find. :)

Entrepidus likes this.
  5. TheBulwark

TheBulwark I need me some PIE!

I like my hyanid bg, dont have much use for the djinn though as far as ive seen