I don't know how forums work

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Authyrtyr, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Authyrtyr

Authyrtyr The King of Potatoes

Can someone inform as to how formatting in forum posts works?

For example, if I want to be able to post a link with different text I could do it in HTML with:

Code:
    <a href="http://www.poxbase.com>PoxBase</a>
    How to do it in Forum-Formatting-thingy-that-I-don't-know-the-name-of?

That's just an example of course, is there a good general reference? Maybe KTCAOP knows all the answers since he has those test threads.

2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

3. Authyrtyr

Thank you KTC. BB-code was the name I was looking for. Not very forum savvy for the most part. I know HTML, not familiar with BB-code...yet...

4. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

BB-Code for the most part tries to simplify the html. At the end of the day, the source code that is displayed on the page is html. It's easier to go from BB-code to HTML, but going from HTML to BB code can sometimes cause issues.

HTML allows a much wider range of options, but can also allow less control over things such as iframes and back running script. I prefer html if I am ever able to use it, but bb-code isn't too bad.

However, I really, really, really dislike the rich-text editor and WYSIWYG formats in general, so I only use it if I'm really being lazy in the copying/pasting =P.

5. Authyrtyr

Taking a look at DOG's BBcode guide, it looks like BBcode is limited to no dynamic definition (ie Javascript). Looks decent otherwise though.