I have an idea on how to fix pox...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NakedAmerica, Feb 11, 2017.

1. NakedAmerica

NakedAmerica The King of Potatoes

So we're all aware pox is pretty dead and has been for a while. This is due to a large number of reasons but the big ones I feel are the learning curve and the fact that anything other than playing the game has to be done through the website. I'm sure this has something to do with how the game was originally built or whatever but the fact is, nobody wants to dl a game, load into it, then find out that the core parts of the game are on the website. It's confusing and archaic.

I propose a complete relaunch of pox. Meaning an entirely new client is built that includes everything you need to play the game RIGHT THERE! Crazy idea i'm sure. Also, this will cut down on the learning curve a bit because ppl won't be wondering how to build decks and check out cards and such.

Finally, the rune pool is ridiculously large. No new player is going to be able to learn all the cards, figure out the website/client situation, and still be interested in playing the game after being completely destroyed for their first 30 games or so. This means in the relaunch the rune pool should be either limited to the past 3-4 expansions, or severely cut back. Maybe divide them into seasons if you will where season 1 is the first four expansions, season 2 is 5-8, ect ect. This would prevent people from losing their value of the cards they've already bought. Alternatively, you could compensate older players who have contributed to the game throughout the years with some sort of season pass that would give them a box from every expansion that comes out in the future.

To be completely honest I love this game. It got me through some hard times and the ability to get lost building decks and trying out different ideas was intoxicating. The playerbase used to thrive and be full of all sorts of interesting and helpful characters. It's just a shell of what it used to be and I feel bad for all of those that weren't around for the days when we had 1k+ ppl online and crashed the server.

I'm sure my ideas will fall on deaf ears or be met with budget restraints or what not but this is my final hope for Pox being restored to its former glory.

Until next time,
    Th3mB0nes

2. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

a new client is already in development....

3. NakedAmerica

Nice, been gone for a couple years, haven't kept up too much. Just noticed the playerbase is still awful. But that wont raise it by much on its own.

4. themacca

playerbase is awful cause theyre waiting. its a general rule for most things, if people are expecting a big change in the large future they'll generally stop doing it til that change occurs

5. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

No offense but this is an awful idea. The one thing that keeps me playing pox is the fact they dont cut expansions. Every card game I have ever played I have stopped because they do that and I end up wasting all my money/time. What is the point of working to get runes when they are gonna be obsolete in a couple months

super71 and Kampel like this.
  6. NakedAmerica

And I agree that is a big thing about pox that I like. I mean I've been playing since dawn of elements and have spent far too much money on this game. Which is why I suggested brackets basically that would still allow you to use your older cards but in a set basis. But if it comes down to making the game easier for new players to understand and be able to play effectively, or holding on to my old runes, I'd rather bring in more people.

7. NakedAmerica

People have been waiting for a "big change" for years now. Its just generally a bad practice to wait that long to revamp the game because people will move on and forget about it. Although pox does have the most loyal playerbase I've ever seen. People just creepin on the forums for ever lol.

8. themacca

there have been several big changes in the last few years. so this isn't the case.

9. NakedAmerica

Then your theory about how people are just waiting for big changes to happen to come back is incorrect.

10. themacca

the last big change was some time early last year. it is not incorrect. this is probably the biggest change we've had in a long time, excluding the 2 revamps when this new client finishes up people will flock in.

P.S: Note this game is also having a playstation 4 version worked on.

11. NakedAmerica

I did see something about the ps4 thing. Is it going to be cross-platform? That could help a lot.

12. themacca

yes

13. NakedAmerica

Cool, hopefully people start playing again then.

14. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

pox is not dying, it is growing.

ofsleep likes this.
  15. DiCEM0nEY

What is in a meaningful way to you?

The only thing it really needs is more frequent updates, which since there is a ps4 release coming, has been delaying the updates.

16. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

I'd like to see separate modes where certain releases can be used and then a circus mode with everything. Maybe 4 different modes ranked and un ranked modes ?

Circus- which is all expansions
    recent- last 3 expansions
    core- all the expansions excluding the last 3
    wild nora- all runes, all expansions, no faction limitations

17. DiCEM0nEY

Pox REALLY doesn't have alot of manpower right now. The PS4 is purely a publicity stunt. (its what brought me back). Im pretty sure the old campaigns are being updated with new lims soon. Pox nora has a very unique experience, albeit expensive.

The lobby isn't really that bad. I was satisfied with warcraft 3's lobby system, and wouldn't really want anything beyond that. Friends lists, clans, and whispering was all you needed. Look at how bad starcraft 2 is compared to the old bare bones system of warIII.

Combat log is one piece at a time, and I assure you, it is better than nothing.

I'm all for Bane Shift posting on forums, but I think you are being slightly unfair to the devs here (notice I only said slightly). I think these devs actually do work and try to improve the game. I think that they are in the process of making the game better, and not just newer.

Look at Urban-Rivals for instance. They are literally closing the game at this point, and removing ELO mode. Give ur Bane Shift to companies like them, not to this game which actually makes strides at real goals.

Tweek516 likes this.
  18. NakedAmerica

Yeah this is what I'm saying. Something to break it up a bit so new players don't have to memorize thousands of cards in order to make effective decisions in game.

Our definitions of growing must differ greatly. Last time I logged in 2 years ago pox was steady at 100 players online. Now the most I see is 75. That is in fact the opposite of growing. And the amount of effort the devs are putting in is irrelevant if it isn't going towards expanding the player base. More players = more money = more content and developers. There are tons of issues preventing pox from being what it once was but I just decided to hit on a couple.

19. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

I dunno about rotations, man. Might quit if that was introduced. And pox doesnt have the playerbase to split rotation vs non rotation.

And you don't have different definitions of growing, youre just looking over different time periods.

edmek55555 and SPiEkY like this.
  20. edmek55555

edmek55555 Devotee of the Blood Owl

This is the major downfall of all card games. This is always the theory used to "improve" these types of games but it is entirely ineffective and always causes more players to quit than to join. Mainly because 1. Veteran players get mad the cards/runes they spent so much time/money getting are only a fraction as valuable because they can't be used in all modes, and 2. New players find the game too shallow and don't stick around due to options being greatly limited by a small selection of cards/runes being available.

In short, dumbing a game down almost never makes it better

MaruXV and Bravesteel like this.