I left my essay to the day before deadline ama

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GemmaXylia, Dec 11, 2016.

1. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

Also send help in the form of caffeine, good research, and the ability to write a half decent essay :(

Tweek516, Qucas and Geressen like this.
  2. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

what's the essay to be on?

3. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

In a nifty 3,000 words I shall be assessing the effects of the second-sino Japanese war on China's environment and evaluating how ecological disaster contributed to human suffering.

Yay.

4. NevrGonaGivUup

NevrGonaGivUup I need me some PIE!

bullshiticus.jpg

May Bullshitticus favor you.

darklord48, Tweek516, Qucas and 5 others like this.
  5. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

may he grant you wisdom using the orb of wikiped and the google rod.

6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

As a warning, posts that go aggressively off-topic will be deleted. Or, you know, are just unproductively spiteful.

I would hope that everyone takes their essays seriously, and takes pride in the substance of their own ideas. At the very least, keep in mind that your professors have to read those things.

7. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I was talking to my lecturer and she was saying for undergraduate essays she gets alotted 10 minutes to mark each paper within her salary. Anything beyond that is unpaid within her own time. 10 minutes?! That's crazy when people spend weeks researching *cough* and hours upon hours *cough* writing them. Makes me wonder how much of my grade is just a "gut" feeling on how my essay reads rather than it's actual content.

P.S I'm 1,300 words in. Progress is occurring!

8. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

Good times, Gemma, good times.

Our professors had little swarms of assistants (doctorands) that would read our protocols, and some of them were pretty diligent. When I was but a wee first (or second?) semester student I got horribly rekt by one of them because my first PC protocol ever was a bit shite.

9. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Wait, what on earth is her contract like? Payed time for grading essays?

10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yep, that's pretty normal.

When you are teaching, unless you want to work 80+ hour weeks, you are really trying to rush through grading. I help my wife grade all the time. One of her classes has 43 students in it. Imagine having 5 or 6 classes of 40+ kids... all writing essays and reports. 200 students writing one essay each at 10 minutes an essay is 33 hours of grading. That's ONE assignment. Add daily/weekly assignments, tests, quizzes, and other projects...

Now you know Multiple Choice is so prevalent, because it's much faster to grade even without SCANTRON cards.

That's not counting having to plan your lessons. You are supposed to get "planning periods" but because of requirements you have to have meetings and other such things - and if a teacher is absent sometimes you have to cover their classes, etc. So most of your planning gets done at home. Then every so often, a new governor/education guy gets elected who has "BIG IDEAS" and changes all the standards so you have to change your lesson plans...

In Arizona, the legislature cuts education spending while increasing standardized tests and other "accountability" requirements... and they wonder why AZ education is ranked as one of the worst in the nation.

Oh, and by the way, those standardized tests take time out of your instruction time... but the standards for what you have to teach don't get reduced, so somehow you get less days to teach, but are supposed to be more "accountable" for what the kids learn even though they are reducing the time you have to teach them. Figure that one out.

This is why a lot of teachers actually LOVED Common Core, because it was created with educator input and was going to be a set standard with freedom as to how you wanted to teach it and what worked for your kids instead of getting jerked around by state politicians who have no idea what they are doing and just go around mandating things based on ideology.

Sorry for the rant, but obviously this is a bit personal :D

(Note: This is high school, and secondary education is somewhat better.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  11. Sokolov

12. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

American school is weird. I never had those constant assessments every week etc, it's always been exams at the end of a term/semester!

Yes indeed! I'm basically waffling about that flood and the resulting famine a few years after for 3k words :p

13. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

I just wanted attention/pity over the fact I'd have to pull an all nighter. Not everything has to turn political! :p

1,600 words in, 400 for an intro and 400 for a conclusion I'd say I'm about 500 words off of being done!

Editing the the nonsense that I've spewed up will be fun.. I've use affect/effect so many times I've confused myself over which one means what and keep editing it out to things like impact instead to save my brain from imploding.

BurnPyro likes this.
  14. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Ew.

15. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

gl mang

16. GemmaXylia

GemmaXylia Forum Royalty

ew yourself, your words don't affect me! (d'you get it I did it wrong on purpose) ((Unless I accidentally did it right in which case that was some kind of double pun thing going on)) I honestly don't know anymore. I even have a tab open dedicated to the differences between effect and affect. But you can get the same impact using different words, so why bother? :p

SPiEkY likes this.
  17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Thanks for making this quirky, quiet thread, Gemma. Hope the essays turn out well.

18. Sokolov

There's actually a lot of interesting things that happened on the Pacific side of things in terms of war, but you don't get to learn about them much unless you seek it out yourself.

Geressen likes this.
  19. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

all the warr crimes :D

partially kidding.

SPiEkY likes this.
  20. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I once had to write a five page paper with bibliography for an English class. The paper was due when class started at 8:00 AM. I woke up at 6:00 AM, wrote the paper, had a full page of bibliographical references, and turned it in for a B. Thankfully the school was only three miles away. For my paper, the topic was landmines, which I had studied for a speech class when I was in high school, so I already knew what I wanted to cover. All of my references were online, except for one book that I had bought for the speech class. It took me as long to write the bibliography as it did to write the other five pages.