I Rate You're Waifu

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by newsbuff, Aug 11, 2016.

1. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Your flagrant criticism is based solely on stereotypical misrepresentation as opposed to objective analysis, therefore your opinion is invalid.

Geressen likes this.
  2. JazzMan1221

If I may quote Newsbuff-sama from an earlier post in this thread:
    [​IMG]

newsbuff and Geressen like this.
  3. st3ck

st3ck I need me some PIE!

You mean all that backwards character development that the MC undoes for about 10 episodes? He has development, then undoes it. I enjoyed the show, which forced me to read the web novels, and I don't think I'm going to watch anymore then the 24ish or whatever episodes.

Writer is some kind of sadist/massochist. Rem is awesome, but ugggghhhhhhhh that show.

Rather watch Akame ga Kill if we are going to do the lightswitch emotion schtick.

4. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Most MCs are not that great in anime in general, partly because they are often supposed to be stand ins for the viewer.

In this case, I can forgive it some because of the circumstances - I mean, his situation seems like it'd completely screw with your head - especially since the anime leaves out a lot of stuff such as him trying over and over and failing (the anime shows what... 2 cycles only?)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  5. st3ck

Have you finished it yet/read the source material at all?

And definitely agree with weak MC's being common, almost a standard. As far as cycles/etc there is definitely a little bit more detail/deaths/failures in the web novel. The first 24ish(26?) episodes are basically arc one of eight.

Many things I want to say that are certainly spoilertastic, so I'll avoid my true opinions on why I dislike the show on the whole, yet enjoyed it and would reccommend it.

Qucas and Geressen like this.
  6. Sokolov

Not all of it no, but I plan to at some point... but I plan a lot of things. So appreciate the no spoilers.

~

And his snapping back, I will just chalk it up to Rem being Rem :D :D :D

But I do agree with you that this aspect is the weakest part of the series for sure.

7. Sokolov

My understanding is that when they are leaving the castle he actually tries a ton of times and it's terrible every time so basically it seems like his "giving up" makes some sense in that context.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  8. JazzMan1221

To me it seems more like they go backwards to go forwards. All the character development that happens in earlier episodes isn't necessarily undone when he starts over, since he (i.e. we) still retain memories of what was seen and done. In terms of relationship progression, yes, what he does is undone, but as far as character depth and backstory explanation goes, it only has more added to it. I've never read the web novels, but if I'm missing something crucial from there, it would make more sense. From what I saw in the anime, it was basically like sculpting a statue by slapping some clay together, then breaking off pieces to reshape them by hand, and sticking them back on the way they're supposed to go.

9. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

sokolov, I rate you're waifu.

10. st3ck

I like that analogy quite a bit. It is very rough, but at one point in the show it felt like he scrapped the entire statue to start basically the same one he was working on.

The thing about the web novel is that . . . it just doesn't feel like it's ever going to end. It's something like 40ish chapters, with about 6 of them being the anime. And while things get pretty awesome...... just ugggghhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Rem 10/10 amazing waifu.

EDIT: @Sokolov My favorite episode is that one with Rem sealing the deal on best waifu, but I would definitely finish it.

11. Sokolov

We also, as humans, prefer "simpler" progression in our media. We don't like when a character learns X, forgets X, and re-learns X later.

Ironically, in real life, real change can be hard, and often comes with setbacks. So in a way it's actually "realistic" to have some back and forth, but it's not good from a narrative perspective in some sense.

12. JazzMan1221

Just tell me this one thing:
    Does Rem ever get out of that damn coma, or is she basically gone forever? I don't want it spoiled too much, just.........just tell me she's not gone. She can't be:(

13. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

rem overrated

<3 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ beatrice and felto 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆ <3

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Is overrated your official rating or?

15. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

Zarya
    from Overwatch
    Submitted by @Boozha
    R8ing: 0/8

Pros:
    Cons:

• Gross tumblr pandering in an american video game that's just a TF2 expansion/mod
    • Not cute
    • Looks like a man with high testosterone instead of femininely badass like many strong women actually look like:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
    • stupid haircut
    • gay tribal tattoo

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Saandro likes this.
  16. JazzMan1221

Don't forget about Patrasche! The way he protected Subaru at the end was totally heartwarming. Patrasche is the hidden waifu (husbando?) of the series IMO.

17. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

[​IMG]
    Oshino Shinobu AKA Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade
    from Monogatari
    submitted by @NevrGonaGivUup

R8ing: 7/8
    Pros:
    • Despite appearing as an 8-year old throughout most of the series (due to having her power sealed), is Really a 500 Year Old Vampire Queen Goddess, so you're definitely not a pedo for taking her as your lawfully wedded waifu ^_--
    • Tsundere
    • Moe as F|_|CK
    • Has alternative teenage and adult forms (with mega oppai) to provide variety
    • Can protect you from oddities and spirits
    • Easy to please: Mr. Doughnut-brand Lion's tails will have her eating out of your hand like a pet
    • Super smart
    • But also gets embarassed.
      After being unexpectedly kissed: A-a-a-a-re you Italian?! [​IMG]
    Cons:
    • Incredibly destructive goddess-tier oddity that enslaves humans as her servants and lives off their blood
    • If her power's ever unbound, you're kind of f|_|cked
    • Lives in your shadow...which I guess is kind of cool at first, but then you can't EVER get away from her...
    • ...and she can act jealous and possessive, which makes the shadow haunting kind of awkard too
    • Intimidatingly old, powerful, and intelligent, despite her childlike appearance

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    NevrGonaGivUup likes this.
  18. Sokolov

Seems like the "lives in your shadow" thing is worth at least a solid -1!

newsbuff likes this.
  19. JazzMan1221

Pretty sure they prefer the more politically correct term "chronologically challenged".

Ohmin, newsbuff, Qucas and 2 others like this.
  20. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

actually, good point. i meant to update the r8ing after listing out all the cons