I stink!

Discussion in 'Ironfist Stronghold' started by DonK101st, Dec 4, 2016.

1. DonK101st

DonK101st Well-Known Member

Hey man. :)

I really suck at pvp. I'd like to get better before the new war starts up and actually contribute to the cause once in awhile.

Right now I'm not even competitive. I've got good IS runes from what I can tell. I've tried drunks, pallies and currently losing badly with structs. In a good game I might kill two enemy champs, havent got more than that...

I can't get built up as fast as the enemy, before I know it he's up a font hitting for around 20 and my guys are doing 10 or less, consistently. In ranked Ive been crushed by UD/FW and SL. CRUSHED.

Anybody willing to play some unranked games with me and help me get better with structs? I think I like their potential, but obviously have no clue as to how to play them.

2. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

just keep losing, on day you will get tried of it and start winning.

As grueling as it might be, especially when you are learning, do not give up till your shrine is destroyed. People are really good at laying down amazing power turns in this game, but many intermediate and beginner players lack the stamina. Most of the time one or two power turns, or one or two super champs is all their battle group has, and if you can keep it together they are finish, because they all ready blew their load or you where able to stop their gimmicks.

The longer you play the more time you give your opponent to make an error. Even though they have been crushing you every turn, sometimes one slip is enough to turn the game around. Practice saving nora too. the more nora you have the more options you are provided with. Outside of a power turns keeping 30-50 nora in the bank is a good idea. (Enough nora for a champ & and spell next turn) Try not to use spells relics or equipment unless it is for a kill. Healing is so prevalent in this game, letting a spell lose just to do damage can be a costly mistake. IS has a ton of gimmicks to try to keep champs alive, just know nothing is for certain a good player will find a way to kill your precious palliden. But again you can only lose so many times before you know what to expect, and you can start winning.

SireofSuns and DonK101st like this.
  3. guokamoli54

guokamoli54 I need me some PIE!

SireofSuns and DonK101st like this.
  4. DonK101st

Thanks guys. Any relics or spells that are auto includes for a construct BG? Right now I'm swapping stuff in and out like crazy and don't really see much use in any of it...

I'm running these champs currently:

Dwarven Engineer x 1
    Silverclan Tinkerer x 2
    Silverclan Hoplite x 2
    Silverclan Purger x 1
    War-Enchanted Groble x 2
    Valdaci Sentry x 2
    Silverclan Protector x 2
    Flamebreath Ballista x 2
    Valdaci Bolter x 2

Been thinking about getting a Valdaci Guardian when I'm able, probably drop a sentry for him. Are they worth running?

5. guokamoli54

guokamoli54 I need me some PIE!

Thats a good core of champs, what are you playing for non-champs?
    Do you have the typical,
    Hammer Strike
    Righteous Defelction
    Guard Tower/Unobstructed View
    Macademize
    Glorious Charge(personal favorite)
    Desperate Heal (since you dont have much room for Priest of Valdac)

I would maybe try to make room for 1 Ruguloths Revenge as well ive always liked him.

What type of deck was the UD/FW split?

And ive found that matches against SL can be kinda tough cuz They have units that are just as tanky but better access to powerturns spells from the faction.

DonK101st likes this.
  6. DonK101st

The only constant non-champ spell I'm running and plan on keeping is repair. Everything else is up in the air! I do have guard tower and plan on keeping it as well even though 2 sentrys are more than enough detection, at least so far in my early pvp'ing.

I've been looking at glorious charge and think I'll give it a try seeing as you like it. I have Rugolths revenge, havent played him in pvp. Maybe I'll try him out.

As far as UD/FW I should have used a comma as in UD, FW and SL have all crushed me! FW multiple times now aaaargghhh...

I did get my first ranked win though. A guy disconnected on me right after I knocked him off the mid font. :p

He should have hung around lol...

Tweek516 likes this.
  7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

8. Tweek516

And are you part of a guild?

9. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

hammer strike is pretty auto include. righteous d is auto-ish. I like unobstructed view and eroding winds a lot. If you run blink 1x and divinity touch one time those can be game winners. Firking medal of valor. Use the banner.

DonK101st likes this.
  10. DonK101st

Not in a guild right now. Would like to join an active protectorate guild though. I can only play on weekends right now, I'm out of town for the work week. Lucky for me my weekends are 3 days at least. sat-mon.

Original, I'm trying out eroding winds right now and I'm liking it. Put slam on my ballistas as well and am running earthshaker. Might try to fit in a barricade so I can get a wall to smash stuff into, maybe set it all up for a big turn and smash everything. Have got a lot of knockback sources. Just pushing stuff back to their shrine right now. I like it! Of course thats just pve. Will try it out pvp a little later.

11. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

Barricade is a great spell if you can fit it.

As to what champions to include, it really boils down to what module/style you want, as there are several.

I wouldn't go to heavy on Valdaci stuff unless you plan to use mostly Valdaci constructs. A big reason for this is that they are more focused on relics and equipment than the other constructs.
    Same with Silverclan (and anything with Complex Machine), don't go heavy into those unless you plan on doing primarily those with Tinkerer support.
    If you DO include Barricade, I might suggest trying to build around that by using more champions with Knockback capability. Crystal Golem would be an amazing include for that (he is just plain good honestly, I'm surprised more people don't run him).

It will also help IS players if they can see all of what your Construct bg is, so you should go ahead and list all of the runes here when you have the time. :)

DonK101st likes this.
  12. DonK101st

Hi SireofSuns, I don't know how to make the screenshot of my BG but I can list them.

CHAMPS
    Dwarven Engineer Mason 3/Boost Construct x 1 (I mainly run him for boost, that stacks with the Standard doesn't it? If not I'll get rid of him.)
    Silverclan Tinkerer Mason 3/Grant Evasive x 2 (These guys bring so much, shatter and then some. But have been thinking on swapping one out for Valdaci Sweeper)
    Flamebreath Ballista Tremor/Slam x 2 (If I can get them out and in position, the damage potential is crazy. My favorite ranged unit.)
    Valdaci Bolter Strike/Barrage x 2 (Strike to keep cost reasonable)
    Silverclan Protector Protective/Magic Beam x 2 (Don't care for big champs, but Ive heard so much praise for these guys. Would like to run barrage but had to cut costs!)
    Silverclan Purger x 1 (lvl 2 currently, I could replace him without losing sleep)
    Silverclan Hoplite Throw Javelin/Hold the line x 2 (Love these guys!)
    Valdaci Sentry Throw Javelin/Skeezick Rebel x
    1 (Detection. I like it when hes my first deploy, spd 7 as well. Don't care for the upgrades so cost cutters)
    War-Enchanted Groble Spellswallower/Immune Magical x
    1 (I like the idea of an immune and spd 7, but so far it hasn't worked out with him. Had 2 but swapped one out, will probably replace this one as well)
    Valdaci Guardian Provision defense/Reclaim relic x
    1 (Just got him, feels powerful!)
    Valdaci Shieldwarden Hold the Line/Damage shield x
    1 (Just got him as well)
    ...and finally The Magnetic Rover! Electric Aura 1/Magnetic pulse (I run him mainly for the global mobility. Upgrades are minimal so his cost is 49 nora. I view him as a high priced mobile relic. Oddly enough Ive only gotten to deploy him once in pvp and I won that game! So he's like a good luck charm too!)

SPELLS
    blink, desperate heal, divinity's touch, eroding winds, hammer strike, holy light, repair x 2

Most used spells have been repair, eroding wind and hammer strike. I have an idea that I never get to try out of blinking someone and putting a hoplite on top of him with a tinkerer close by for regen. but meh...

RELICS
    Standard, Guard Tower, Morins Corner and Earthshaker

I pretty much use these every game I've played in my short pvp career.

EQUIPTMENT
    Rock Collection.

I run that because of a thought Macca had in another thread, but I'm not sure I quite understood it. All I know is yeah, silverclan tinkerer can shatter it but then what? Would honestly like to fit in more equips to take better advantage of rovers magnetic pulse. But not sure how or what at this time. Which brings me to the point you made about Valdaci Heavy BGs, I think I might try that out. I'm really liking the theme.

13. Tweek516

I would join PA and send a message to @themacca

As to your BG, just have a look at the bgs posted in the thread I linked.

DonK101st likes this.
  14. DonK101st

I will apply today!

15. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

Welcome to PA feel free to ask questions to any one you see online

You can pm me in the forums too if no one is around and I'll reply when i can

DonK101st likes this.
  16. SireofSuns

SireofSuns I need me some PIE!

You're supposed to shatter Rock Collection after the champion has gotten Trail:Rock. It works well in tandem with Macadamize to give your other champions Domain: Rock.
    I have forgotten, what does Morin's Corner do?

That all looks pretty good imo, though definitely check out the linked thread, there are some nice Construct bg's in there.
    With Magnetic Rover, I believe he is rarely run at min-cost, and is usually taken with Relocate: Ally and Electric Aura 3. If you aren't intent on using lots of knockback or relocation stuff, Planar Hold can be a nice defensive ability against various factions (SP especially, they have lots of knockback).

If you do go with a Valdaci Construct style bg though, in which case (besides the obvious):
    Switch out the Silverclan Tinkerers for: Treasure Hunters (he has some nice abilities that go well with the Valdaci style)
    Switch out a Repair for Disarm (this can be used to SAVE your own equipment, if your champion is about to die, you can get back the equip faster with this)
    Check out Spare Parts if you so desire, it can be very useful depending on how important your Constructs' upgrades are.
    If you decide you like power turns, Strip Armor can help with that in Constructs.
    If you go very heavy with Equipment, use Armory.
    Look into Medal of Valor, it can be very nice to have (usually you want to deploy on a champion you are about to use to kill an enemy champion).

DonK101st likes this.
  17. DonK101st

Morins Corner is the one with the aoe heal. Its been useful in my losses...? lol... anyway.

Thanks for the advice for the Valdaci heavy idea. Those treasure hunters really do look like theyd fit well. I'm putting it together now and am going to play a few games after supper.

SireofSuns likes this.
  18. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

Medal of valor as suggested above is fun. but bring somekind of disarm if you are getting it. the battle leader ability is powerful, especially if you can get your units to survive abit, but you dont want your enemy to steal it. it has replaced some of my own healing and +dmg ability.

19. Captain Spark

Captain Spark New Member

Has anyone ever tried a deck that focuses on the Dwarven Catapult champion?

I was thinking that I could load up the catapult and throw in some tanky/heavy AOE champions into the middle of fights. Then I wouldn't have to waste AP on movement and it would be viable?

Since I'm new I was wondering if people new of any runes that have blast/swoop/or some other AOE + Gap closers??

I've been using the electricity aura... but surely there is more (like the damage aura on groble piledriver also).

One last question:

Are there any units in any faction, that when they die deal some massive AOE damage, but not to my own units (not that dragon thing).

20. Captain Spark

Captain Spark New Member

Markoth's Decklist with rune names for New Players:

Champions

barbarian Exemplar 2
    Ghoul Hunter 2
    Barbarian Diviner 2
    Barbarian Guardian 1
    Bastion the Avenger 1
    Carrier Squire 1
    Ironfist Inquisitor 1
    Pitfigher 2