I was wrong.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ragic, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

I thought Germany would be next to leave the EU but it looks like it will be France.

2. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

the next place that will have an election in which a right wing nationalist with anti-EU ideas has a strong chance due to the resurgence of right wing nationalism in europe has a strong chance is France yes.

before them we had elections here in the Netherlands in which our nationalistic bleached ******* did not get the largest party and it looks like we are getting a coalition with the economic liberals, christian democrats and the green party.

You are not very well informed if you only found out now.

3. Saandro

Saandro I need me some PIE!

What? For better or for worse Germany is EU. The fact you somehow thought they would leave is amusing to say the least.

Ohmin likes this.
  4. BurnPyro

BurnPyro Forum Royalty

Faux News isn't known for it's accuracy in reporting, well, the news.

5. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

[Obligatory statement about counting chickens prior to eggs hatching, or whatever.]

Geressen likes this.
  6. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

[similar statement about selling a bear hide before having found and shot it.]

7. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

There is very little chance of LePen winning, nor has there ever been.

Tweek516, MaruXV and Geressen like this.
  8. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

I hope so, the media does make her out to be a strong contender but that might be a brexit/trump side effect similar to the american fanboyism of geert wilders in the dutch ellection. similar thing happened earlier with the Austrian ellection where the green party candidate won over the nationalist after 3 rounds ( and a recount demanded by the nationalists )
    but I have not been following the news or the latest results so I cannot speak to her populrity, chances, or lack thereof.

9. Hierokliff

Hierokliff I need me some PIE!

If brexit works out good for England i think EU is a memory in 10-15years and that is not something Germany wants, so i think they are going to make england pay hard for brexit just to keep the rest of EU intact. No idea really why germany wants EU, sure as a peaceproject it has worked out great in EU, afaik there has been no war inside EU.
    imo EU is really bad for any country in it, on the other hand it is amazing for megacorporations. the taxlaws really need to get updated, having these megacorps paying close to 0% in tax is really bad for the countries and most people living in them.
    but war is worse then megacorporations if thats what we have to chose on? :)

but no i think your wrong, Germany will not leave EU. and i dont think EU will break up, it will get bigger and England will join again if they even leave.

Le Pen will not win in france, but just that she has got so much success is enough to alter the politics in whole EU, in sweden there has already been a massive change in politics the last year, and our former right-wing (sverigedemokraterna SD) is now almost mainstream, and a new right-wing (Nordiska MotstÄndsrörelsen NMR) has started to popup that is scary. just look at NMR's information website is scary (https://www.nordfront.se/)

10. badgerale

We'll see, it's possible I am wrong but i can't imagine Le Pen is anyone's second choice. If you accept her arguments then you would vote for her first round.

I was actually surprised she didn't get more first round, my prediction was she would score close to %30 first round but not manage much more than that in the second.

But I don't claim to know that much about it, she could possibly pick up a lot of Republican voters, but there isn't much that would stop them voting for a centrist like Macron.

Which is the problem for Le Pen, Macron is everyone's second choice - in normal times he wouldn't get through the partisan first round, but now he has he seems a dead cert.

Geressen likes this.
  11. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

this is a pretty good point about the french system, interesting on how it works out.

12. Baskitkase

Baskitkase Forum Royalty

Hillary was also a dead cert

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

I don't pretend to know much about French politics, but I hear this time was the first time in a long time that Fillon's party didn't make it through the first round? If that's the case, it's already a fairly historical outcome for France.

14. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

to be fair she did get more votes.

15. badgerale

I think the only chance for Le Pen is if she is able to use the media attention well.

Let's face it, insurgent politicians are never given a fair show in the media, they will often be no-platformed when they are saying popular things and hyper-reported when they are saying unpopular things. This is true whether they are coming from the left or from the right. It's unfair, though perhaps necessary in order to maintain stability in an otherwise volatile system (representative democracy) - we have seen what can happen when demagogues can appeal directly to the base feelings of people.

But (as we saw with Trump), if they can get to this stage in an election, the media will need to dignify them, cover political speeches, and start to report what they say whether or not it fits their agenda.

...but even so I doubt Le Pen has much of a chance, she hasn't got the charisma to turn this around, if she was up against Fillon or Hamon, then it would be more similar to the Clinton-Trump runoff (a radical vs a discredited establishment figure) but with Macron she is aginst someone with momentum behind him and a strong counter narrative.

I was wrong about Trump, but I'd still say there is next to no way that Le Pen can win - even if there is another major terrorist attack, even if Macron does something awful.... she is just too far behind.

A lot of the things that let Trump win: the complacency, the weak opposition, the weighting towards rural areas... they aren't present here.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  16. badgerale

So another big email hack, timed to cause maximum impact...

This time it seems like there might be some faked information in there, though of course there isn't many ways to verify that.

French police are banning all mention of the contents, which i guess is understandable if it is an attempt by Russia to influence the election, though I doubt voters like being told what information they can see.

Ohmin likes this.
  17. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

Ah but wouldn't the voters still be able to see it?
    it's just the -Media- that can't discuss the things in it, possible fake things, as if it was real in this case.

Still this will set them back in the freedom of press rankings.

18. badgerale

Sure, but a lot of people still depend on traditional media.

Even on the internet I have struggled to find a decent summary of what they contain.

Ohmin and Geressen like this.
  19. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

looks like the frogs pulled it out

20. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

they know that is not a sade form of anti-conception right?