I wonder why Warding costs only 2 Nora.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fogandsteel, Jun 14, 2017.

1. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

2. DiCEM0nEY

DiCEM0nEY I need me some PIE!

well, makes you realize how weak dmz in a way

3. fogandsteel

4. fogandsteel

Not sure if this is sarcasm. When FW creates DMZ around its champions, it can be quite frustrating. Not only cannot you damage your opponent's champs, but you also cannot help yours through spells if they are covered by DMZ.

5. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Warding is 2 nora because it prevents friendly spells as well. It's a double-edged sword.

Tweek516 and fogandsteel like this.
  6. DiCEM0nEY

But you can damage champions...

Anyways, 2 nora cost for warding shows how weak dmz is both in practice and design. Since warding more or less has a similar value.

7. Vote Kanye 2020

Vote Kanye 2020 Better-Known Member

DMZ is ridiculously good. It's just on pretty shitty champs apart from Inkblight.

8. GoldTiger

GoldTiger I need me some PIE!

Despoil is also decent too playing against it.

9. Lushiris

Lushiris I need me some PIE!

DMZ is Shielded on steroids, if Sok puts it on barely decent champions they'd become insanely good, simply because it's pretty cheap for all it does ( and people won't run it if it isn't so it's a tough call). Also @fogandsteel , Warding is the worst option out of the 3 if you want an OP champion.

fogandsteel likes this.
  10. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

No.

11. DiCEM0nEY

You think having area limited spell control is not a similar value to having spell protection without the area clause. Interesting.

12. fogandsteel

I got Shielded confused with Warding. I didn't realize that there were two different abilities that prevented casting spells on a particular opponent's champ.

Anyways, (1) obviously, both Shielded and Warding are very nice abilities in a game that has Vertical Push, Drown, Fading Recollection, Split Personality, Whispers of the Mind, etc.;
    however, (2) they become even much nicer once you equip your champ with some powerful equipment, especialy if it creates some sort of synergy with the abilities that the champ already has, because your opponent cannot use spot shatter/remove equipment spells. He has to deploy a champ with shatter/remove equipment ability, move him in position and keep him alive, which is much trickier than simply casting a spot shatter/remove equipment spell.

IMO, both Shielded and Warding should have higher nora costs. In a recent game vs Hierokliff, when he equipped Bastion the Avenger with some powerful equipment, it surely felt OP for me. And for mere 2 Nora.

PS. I understand Warding also prevents you from casting certain spells to help your champ, but the benefits greatly outweigh the inconveniences it creates.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  13. fogandsteel

Yeah, I should have included Shielded instead of Warding, but what other 2 abilities did you mean?

14. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

He's saying you're comparing DMZ, which prevents your opponent from targeting your champs to Warding which prevents all spell targeting. If DMZ didn't allow anyone to target spells inside the AoE, I would agree that it is bad.

15. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Warding is 2 nora because it's both a positive and negative depending on the situation. An ability like Pariah is all negatives whereas Shielded is all positives. Warding is an in-between.

Etherielin and darklord48 like this.
  16. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I would gladly pay 10 nora for warding on several champs.
    It's a dreamworld ability and 2 nora is a very good deal.
    DMZ is also cracking as per inkblight.

fogandsteel likes this.
  17. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Why pay 10 nora for a worse version of Shielded, which is only 3 nora?

fogandsteel likes this.
  18. fogandsteel

They are both undercosted. These abilities also scale, that is, the more expensive/powerful champ is, the more value they add.

19. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

Warding I believe is fine at 2 nora. Shielded could be more expensive for what it adds. The downside for Warding is enough that it doesn't merit much cost. Shielded is 3 nora, Pariah is -5 nora, and Warding is 2 nora.

20. fogandsteel

Using the logic that Warding is an in-between (or rather that it adds the abilities of both Shielded and Pariah), it should cost -2 Nora, which probably tells you that Shielded is way undercosted.