Icefang....what in the name of $#@%

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ballballer, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Just looked at this thing since I've heard complaints about it

-75 Nora
    -67 hp with banner (idk if beasts still have boost, but its op in meta too) yeah I included ST bonus, just disregard it if you're going to annoy me
    -Can perma fear everything within 5 spaces at 8hp cost per round if needed (thrash is still dumb af)
    -controls its own range vs speed (ranged stance is nuts at that price) and can roll around at 1-5 range and 5 speed if needed (in a font)
    -kinetic impulse combos so hilariously well with ranged stance and thrash--> means it can still dish out big damage if enemy at range without having high base dmg so that thrash's hp loss isnt more of a drawback. If opponent runs in, then they take less dmg, but less opportunity to avoid thrash. This triple combo means icefang can basically eat melee and range.
    -Invoke Icefang Rumble lets it dish out hurt in its ridiculously large aoe (seriously why does this thing have three 1-5 abilities?) while debuffing champs and clogging lanes with impeding terrain. And it triggers AGAIN when the opponent finally hurts the thing.

Also worth noting it has attack frost and artic, but I think those abilities play a minimal role in the overall champ itself being ridiculous

There basically isnt an effective way to deal with this thing without taking big dmg or lots of turns. I guess a range 6 snipefest would do the trick, but lets be real that's not very common. It costs a mid amount of nora, and for that you get an INCREDIBLY disruptive roadblock that can 1v1 pretty much anything and lock down entire areas of the map. And it can also do major dmg at range and affect opposing champs and terrain in huge aoes.

I am extremely impressed with the synergy of ranged stance+thrash+kinetic impulse and love the design element. But this is where I think the cost formula can break down, because it doesn't appropriately cost synergies amongst abilities.

Just my thoughts after hearing people complain and then looking at the champ on paper. Could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Anyways, kudos to Sok because that is one cool design, but it needs to get changed (or the abilities themselves need to get a cost hike)

2. Gnomes

Gnomes Forum Royalty

You watch the nepy vs tiny game I posted? Ranted about it on there too.

3. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Yeah, this one is pretty ridiculous. It's just tremendous power creep. It's definitely a pay-to-win rune.

4. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

Umm tiny / mogabait and pretty much anyone that knows the game have no trouble dealing with it and I think it's a case of the champ looking good but since people seem to like to complain about him here are my suggestions:

1. Change attack type to sonic so people don't complain about amped dmg

2 make him a 7 speed with 6 on ranged stance and remove the zeal close

About the invoke thing we shouldn't talk about it before looking at UD's Invoke and the only reason that champ isn't being complained about as much as this one is because it's so damn inefficient but still ducking nuts

Anyways I'd be ok with either one or 2 or even both with the cost remaining the same

5. Ballballer

I purposefully didnt mention dmg amp bc i just wanted to talk about him in a mixed meta deck but yeah it is def problematic

Also considered zeal, which would make him cheaper, but went with thrash in the explanation. They are both great abilities tho and I think more people would have trouble dealing with it if people ran thrash instead of just hyping up its speed-->dmg output.

Invoke is a problem

Champ is op

Etherielin likes this.
  6. nepyonisdead

Champ is really powerful but would you consider the above mentioned changes sufficient enough to balance him

Or do you have a different insight all together?

7. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Ranged stance definitely shouldn't be on the champ. I don't think I've played with/Vs is enough to comment any further though.

8. Ballballer

Give it to SP

9. nepyonisdead

+ make it voil and give it ability : summon cleansing emerald

sokolov if thats not balance i dont know what is

Woffleet and Ballballer like this.
  10. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

11. Redderrick

Redderrick I need me some PIE!

Invoke should have never been introduced into the game, it is a lazy design that offers nothing to give incentive to play different themes in a unique way. They are literally just OP in their own ways.

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Some quick points:
    • All of the mid-terms were tuned higher than I normally do, and also originally specifically intended to be run around 80+ nora
    • Invoke: X was conceptually designed to allow for higher cost runes to be playable by ensuring that it always triggers, but at the price of not being as often usable, making the timing of trigger both for the user and opponent to be crucial (unlike most Pox abilities, which tend to come off CD relatively quickly)
      • At the same time, most of the Invoke: X were designed to synergize with other runes to get the full benefit, rather than be standalone powerful (though Icefang's is the most straightforward of the bunch)
    • Icefang will be impacted by a few changes next patch:
      • Thrash is going to AP 2 and CD 2 (sidenote: not on this champ, but Sweep is another one of these abilities that have really weird AP/CD values)
      • Ranged Stance is getting a +1 MIN RNG clause and getting +2 nora, and honestly this ability was probably OPed as it stands, regardless of Icefang, but Kinetic Impulse works so well with ranged extension that it's more of an issue with him
      • Preparation is being reduced to 3 stacks instead of 4 and getting -2 nora, tho Ranged Stance is currently much better on Icefang anyway
      • His Invoke is being reduced to 8 DMG
      • Some minor cost/stat tweaks

13. MrCharles

MrCharles The King of Potatoes

Sounds like it's gonna get nerf sticked into the oblivion with all those changes. I mean it's OP and I see that but maybe just increase the nora cost for the OP abilities and the rune as a whole if it's abilities synergize to perfection like mr fang here. Oh well maybe i'm wrong here.

14. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

as if that fixes'll fix the issues with frost amp. Don't you think it's time we address the problems with that theme?

it'll still be 75 nora 16dmg 5 range unit that also happens to be tanky as Firk. imo it should also have some other abillity instead of zeal speed. Maybe oppurtunistic?

15. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

ST in a nutshell.

@zorbot would break his knuckles on a wall, Bane Shift his pants and beat his girlfriend if he saw Icefang in play.

xaznsoulx, zorbot and JellyBerry like this.
  16. Alakhami

Why specifically zorbot? I'm pretty sure everyone would.

Etherielin likes this.
  17. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

I am pretty sure that @zorbot is already predisposed to doing those things, especially the pants shitting.

18. Ballballer

That actually won't be a big enough nerf most likely, so shush

SPiEkY likes this.
  19. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

I prefer Zeal Speed over Trash in my decks. It makes the SPD tradeoff nil when you want to attack and makes it end up as a 8-10 SPD monster in beasts when you have Beast Tamer out to feed it mad AP.

JellyBerry likes this.
  20. Alakhami

Yeah, Zeal: Speed is definitely the way to go