I'm writing about video games (and other things)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kalasle, May 14, 2016.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

For a lot of reasons, I've decided to start playing a bunch of different games, mostly indies, and then write about them. I finished Titan Souls a couple days ago, and then had a bunch to say about it. So here's 4500 words on Titan Souls. I doubt, for a couple reasons, that subsequent posts will be as long, but who knows. If they're as much fun to talk about as this game was, it could only get worse from here.

https://verumvenari.wordpress.com/2016/05/14/titan-souls-is-a-game-of-beautiful-pieces/

2. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

Make you tube reviews? You might pick up some fallowers and then some pennies.

3. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I know youtube is where most of the money is if people are doing reviews, but I honestly don't want to do it -- I'd rather write. This isn't a job for me, right now, so I'm not trading a medium for pennies.

Plus, I'm not really doing reviews, and do *not* want to edit video.

4. OriginalG1

OriginalG1 I need me some PIE!

do your thing.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Yeah man, I appreciate the advice though, and you're certainly right: if I had a serious intention of getting money immediately and directly from writing, I should be on youtube. Can't help that fact.

6. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Love it man. You sure can write.

Oh, and thank you for introducing me to the soundtrack of the game, never even played it but sounds beautiful.

kalasle likes this.
  7. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's incredibly good! I've been listening to it off and on for the last week or so, and still can't get over it.

8. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

do you have a focus for the sorts of things you'll be writing about, or just whatever's catching your attention?

9. Hiyashi

Hiyashi I need me some PIE!

Great wirting style for a novel.
    For a game review it feels out of place.

"Which is not to unabashedly bash on that sterility."
    I honestly have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

Or perhaps the "Sophisticated Video Game Nerd" will be your niche which you'll become famous with...

Also WP seems to break words in rather odd ways.

ac-
    tually
    vis-
    ual
    sev-
    eral

Some examples.
    Thought it might have something to do with noscript breaking it. But even with that disabled it continues to do its weird word breaking thing... but at different places with different words.

10. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I'm flattered that you said that. I wrote this mostly without editing, and certainly without backtracking, so it's pretty much how I talk when given room. Considering that its conversational, I doubt the style is going to change substantively. If it comes across as artistic in some way though, great! Maybe someone will like that.

Rough translation: "I don't mean to say that the sterility of Titan Souls's world is entirely bad." Sorry about a lack of clarity, I really couldn't resist the "unabashedly bash" word play.

Huh, did not notice that this was going on. Thanks for the heads up.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I made an earlier post with a bunch of different games that are on the long-list.

https://verumvenari.wordpress.com/2016/05/11/a-journey-through-indies-and-others/

So, there's a rough plan, but it's mostly whatever grabs my eye. Probably just videogames for now, but who knows -- I watch movies and anime as well, and might write about those if there's something to say. As said in that post, carefully writing for some audience that doesn't exist seems ridiculous for a lot of reasons; I'll write what I like, and maybe other people will like it, too. If you have any stuff that's good, or cool, or that you want to recommend, though, I'm as open to that as anyone!

12. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

play only stardew valley, eu4, and stellaris

for the rest of your life.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I have not played Stardew or Stellaris, but I do have 250 hours in EU4. That's a neat game.

14. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

i'm at around 1200 eu4 hours

if you enjoyed it you'll guaranteed like stellaris.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Probably would, still might play it. As far as burning hours goes, though, I'm more inclined to SFV than anything else at the moment.

16. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Playing The Swapper right now, and will certainly have a lot to say about it as well.

17. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I would like to read a write up of Fez, Limbo, and Brothers, a Tale of Two Sons.

18. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

I've heard good things about all those three. Will put them on the list. May need to get a controller for Brothers, so it could be a while. Limbo probably earliest.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

The Swapper is done, should have the writeup done tomorrow, maybe today. Current docket after that is LIMBO -> Gone Home.

20. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Still chewing away at The Swapper writeup, got sidetracked, saw an Extra Credits video, wanted to respond:

https://verumvenari.wordpress.com/2...chnical-responding-to-an-extra-credits-video/

Call it another rung in the "Are videogames art?" debate, perhaps, but there are some ideas here very near and dear to me. Academic disciplines are complicated beasts, as is criticism; I think the way most people go about both of those with regards to videogames is really wrong.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    Tweek516 likes this.