I'm writing about video games (and other things)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by kalasle, May 14, 2016.

1. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Finally finished writing about The Swapper.

https://verumvenari.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/the-swapper-has-multiple-identities/

I didn't like it as much as Titan Souls, but I sure thought a lot about it. This will probably be closer to the length for most of these writeups -- 2k-3k words, maybe a bit over. The 4.5k as for Titan Souls would just get unsustainable.

Going to figure out what to play next, but @JellyBerry recommended Ori and the Blind Forest, and someone else (was it macca?) recommended Transistor. Limbo and Gone Home are the other two contenders.

JellyBerry likes this.
  2. mw24

mw24 I need me some PIE!

3. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

4. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Limbo is next, then. Looking forward to it, especially after hearing Sok talk about it.

I've also considered playing some super recent, free indie games, like the weird quirky ones that don't get much mainstream attention.

5. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Limbo was a very good recommendation. Finished it, post will go up when it's done.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  6. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Writing about LIMBO got a lot more complicated than I thought it would, but the post should be done in a day or two. I'm considering going straight into Inside (a game made by the same people, apparently with similar themes and attitudes), rather than Gone Home or Ori, which are the other two choices.

7. Geressen

Geressen Forum Royalty

any of you guys tried shelter 2?

one of my kittens got eaten by wolves because I wasn't fast enough :'(

currently my three other cubs seem to have left me and I have to return to my den alone.

8. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

https://verumvenari.wordpress.com/2016/07/13/surviving-limbo/

LIMBO done. Not entirely satisfied with some of the later portions, but even so, this might be the strongest piece I've written so far. Like I say at the end, Ori, Gone Home, or Inside up next. Or I might write about Enter the Gungeon, which I have played a little bit, and have a few thoughts on.

@darklord48 it was a real dang good recommendation, mate.

9. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I'll read your write up tonight. I'm waiting for a job to finish running on an Exchange server, and with 15 hours of sleep since Sunday, I need something to keep me awake.

10. darklord48

darklord48 Forum Royalty

I enjoyed your write up. If you're considering Bastion and Transistor, both are 80% off on Steam through July 18th.

11. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Definitely thinking about Transistor. Thanks for the heads up.

12. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Great job on the LIMBO write-up. I'd like to respond in more detail, but feel like I wouldn't do it justice :D

In short, I guess, for me, it's an odd game that takes a certain mindset to enjoy, and in many ways the messages seemed more subtle than I cared to unravel. Perhaps that just means I've become lazy after so many years of gaming and media consumption. Or perhaps it's just that my expectations of game narrative is low given how many disappointments and unrealized potential we have been provided with over the years and I am not judging it fairly.

13. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Thanks! You were completely right about the adversarial design of the game; I didn't realize it would be as big a deal as it was. Not really sure I enjoyed the game in a raw sense (it was real dang dark), but I definitely appreciate what it does, and liked thinking about it.

I dunno if that's laziness or anything; you don't need to approach every piece of media with a hyper-critical attitude. Agreed on the unrealized potential and low expectations, though, and while that's especially true for triple A games, it can happen indies plenty as well.

14. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

Yea, I think that's a great way of putting it. I may not have liked playing it, but I do feel... enriched for having played it? It's an odd feeling.

15. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Was incredibly busy these last few months with school and procrastination, so the indie project was on a bit of a hiatus. I might play another one or two, in the same format or a different one, over break.

For now, though, here's an old essay I wrote about Darkest Dungeon. I remember talking about the game briefly in the video games thread in OT, but this essay really gets into what I want to say about the game. The format and rhythm are a bit different from the other things I've written, but it's a decent piece, I feel.

Here's the link: https://verumvenari.wordpress.com/2016/12/17/the-darkness-in-darkest-dungeon/

16. Ragic

Ragic I need me some PIE!

that was the game i was going to suggest. see? i read threads.

17. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

It's an interesting one! I haven't played it for quite a while -- doubt somewhat that I will go back to it -- but it's especially neat to talk about.

18. Ragic

do you spend any time in the forums of the games you review? i find that different genres seem to draw different crowds. each game forum has a unique vibe to it almost as interesting as the game itself. and i mean the general discussion forums, not the off topic nonsense.

19. kalasle

kalasle Forum Royalty

Not really. I cruised around the Darkest Dungeon forums a bit, just to see how other players were taking the game. But yes, different games do certainly have different types -- I've played a lot of fighting games, and that is certainly a different scene than anything that shows up around Pox, or around roguelites. I don't really consider that fan atmosphere to be an inherently important part of writing about a game, or even reviewing games (which isn't really what I'm trying to do, anyway). I often really dislike fan/player communities, even for things that I enjoy, so that, coupled with my lack of need to visit those places, often keeps me away. Do you generally check out community stuff?

20. Ragic

i cant very well tell devs how to make their game without trolling their forums now can i. in some im a critic, in others im a fanboy. depends on what roll i think is under represented. gotta stimulate that back and forth to see who people really are, ya know?