Increasing Turn Time

Discussion in 'Training Grounds and Game Guides' started by HalfGodBro, Mar 14, 2014.

1. HalfGodBro

HalfGodBro The King of Potatoes

Well, the title pretty much says it all, 1:45 is sometimes not enough even for a veteran such a me, i cannot believe how many times New comers are going to miss their turn thinking about what to do or micro-managing lots of champion in only 1:45
    What do you guys think?

2. KTCAOP

KTCAOP I need me some PIE!

It's one of the skill that is important to learn about in this game and turn timers for turn based play is important, the tournament timer, even though it counts down from 20 minutes, is much more unforgiving.

It was increased from 1:30 => 1:45 by default and I think they would be able to learn, I think it might be more jarring though if they increased the turn timer to 2:30 and then when they enter ranked, they find it becomes 1:45 =/.

3. HalfGodBro

i was more likely thinking of 2min actually, sometimes 15 second can lose you the game

4. LoganMkv

LoganMkv I need me some PIE!

That's a really necessary change.
    If you play a dumb rush bg 30 seconds is enough, but if you have to micromanage stuff like scramble/warcry or long animations like bloodmagic/alacrity it eventually becomes almost impossible to do a perfect powerturn.

5. KTCAOP

Part of the skill is to think about your turns during your opponents turn, not just on your own. I understand what you are saying and I know this is a logical fallacy but it was increased from 1:30 => 1:45, since those extra fifteen seconds were deemed so important, we can then go to 2:00, to 2:15, to 2:30. Some people get upset when they have to wait out the three turns as it is if someone idle/ragequits.

I'm not really against the change, I just feel that people will always feel that there isn't enough time for their turns.

6. HalfGodBro

15 seconds of extra waiting for someone that is playing a turn based strategy game isnt suppose to make them rage...they arent playing the right game
    Also, because of animations, some BG need some extra time, you can easily lose those 15 in animation when you have lots of Acolyte ect

7. Rapidice

Rapidice I need me some PIE!

What about a "time bank" of some kind, that you can activate once per game, and gives you 1 extra minute. It would be nice to have 1 extra minute in THAT turn that decides if either you win or lose.

rickyjpen likes this.
  8. KTCAOP

I think that would be somewhat less intuitive but could be a possibility. Again, I'm not opposed to the idea, but as I said, even if we added an additional minute, I still feel that people would feel as though there isn't enough time to play what they would want to play.

9. uaChakra

uaChakra Member

15min for each player would be cool so 1match can be played 30min at max.

10. KTCAOP

We do have a tournament timer system, 20 minutes per player is the standard. But then that feels more punishing when you lose due to those final few seconds, but I have had people take 5 minute turns during that.

11. MageAstral

MageAstral The King of Potatoes

just if the timer could stop till all the animations are over after each player turn. that could to do job i think

12. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

I prefer to keep it exactly the way it is now.

Nite2kill likes this.
  13. FLASHBEAR

FLASHBEAR The King of Potatoes

I've always thought of having a "bonus" pool of time. If you are familiar with dota's banning and picking phase, similar to that.
    Every time your normal turn runs out, another timer starts, whenever this timer gets reduced it will be permanent.
    Let's say the bonus time would be 30 seconds. Then you finish your turn past the normal timer, it begins, then drops to 23 seconds when you finish. Then you run out again another turn, it begins, but at 23 seconds.

14. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

Bump the timer up to 2 minutes each. That would be awesome!

15. BansheeX

BansheeX I need me some PIE!

Except for those of us who thinks it would be bothersome.

16. Nite2kill

Nite2kill I need me some PIE!

to much time will take away from the game flow - " ok I got 1:44 who do I deploy and attack first? what to do if there is a counter in place?" even in raising the timer :15 sec you wont have that 'sense of urgency' thus taking away from that kill or be killed attitude and making the game slow and boring.

How many times have you looked for a game in the TG and saw someone waiting for an opponent, but b4 you sat you saw the timer above 1:45 and said "nope" then created your own match. The reason you didn't sit is the reason to keep the timer where it is

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  17. crisian

crisian Member

dude, who are you? do you even play the game? 5 games this year looks like you don't so i don't know how you come up with so much nonsense to post. you don't play but yet you are "an authority" with over 1000 posts here in ls than a week(wtf). seriously, who are you and what is your job here?

now before you tell us about the skill involved in finishing your turn on time, how about fixing the lag and time consuming animations AND THEN maybe 1:45 will be enough time.

18. Makorov

Makorov I need me some PIE!

You don't know?

He's Jesus.

19. KTCAOP

I apologize if I have offended you somehow. I do have experience in this game, though I have not played as much PvP recently on my main account, that is to be sure. I am giving my own opinion based on observation and discussion of many people that have played this game over the years, from all levels from new players to the highest levels. Actions can still be taken even during animations if it is your turn, though yes it can lag and that is an issue though there are other bugs and issues which I am sure the Greens are aware of as well and are looking to fix.

However, by all means, feel free to treat my posts and opinion as that of just one other poster, I am posting my opinion and my reasoning, and as I said, I can understand the other side. As I said, I am not against increasing the turn timer, but I do not feel that will really solve the problem that the players are having.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  20. Dagda

Dagda Forum Royalty

This has been a topic that gets raised every so often for a while now. I was playing back when it was 1:30 per turn, and frankly I didn't have a problem with it. I still ran myself out of time at the same rate.

The main points I see here are these, and I may be leaving some things out (putting the time-bank and related ideas aside for the moment):

Pros: More time means more slack, you don't miss out on that crucial powerturn or that one last move that could cost you the game. Whatever it may be.

Cons: People will complain regardless. More time means more time for afkers to afk with, and it means the average game length is likely to go up. There's always the question of the slippery slope, mostly because there's no good place to say "yeah this is the perfect turn time, not too long, not too short". As well, playing within acknowledged constraints is something you really should get used to with these sorts of games.

That's not to say that your time should be leechable with things like lavaspouts, or that the time-bank is a bad idea. Just that mindlessly changing the base turn-time over and over seems like it's never going to get us anywhere meaningful.