Instakills are getting removed, except...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elric, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Elric

Elric I need me some PIE!

...Drown!

Not sure why Drown remains when all other instakills are being done away with.

Knock back into chasms - removed
    Cliff diving (Dominate/possess and run into chasm) - to be removed according to Cactaur Crate
    Seism - even relics are being adjusted, so Seism won't instakill many of them
    Drown - no change listed

Drown needs to go with the rest of the instakills. FS has such an easy time now of generating water with Tidal Wave, water veil, water front, etc..., that Drown is no longer hard to pull off.

It is not a cheap spell at 80 nora, but in a one-on-one font battle, this can easily secure an easy win as the FS player drowns your champ and picks up the nora globe and wins the font.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    MaruXV likes this.
  2. MaruXV

MaruXV Corgi Lord of FW

it has a lot of conditions to be met though: only small champ, not flying, not amphibious. there are some matches where its a dead rune. vertical push works on big champs too, it dispels them, and is way cheaper. doom is slow but kills everything. they are all annoying spells to deal with, but most of bgs have some way to work around them. you can try to leave your expensive units out of water as long as possible, you can give them flying so he has to monsoon and lose more nora, you can try to cancel magic / counter it with a well timed counter spell (and drown has 17 turns cd so it won't be back soon), etc...
    so is it a strong and annoying spell? sure, expecially for IS. is it too strong ? not, but you have to play considering fs can do it, and play around that possibility.

Woffleet, MrCharles, Tweek516 and 4 others like this.
  3. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

The nora investment and the requirements of drown are high enough to justify its existence. It doesn't feel unfair as a rune considering how much you have to do to get it to work.

DonK101st, fogandsteel and MaruXV like this.
  4. super71

super71 I need me some PIE!

Drown requires water, I never looked at seism as insta kill as it kills relics and that's rarely a large loss. I agree that drown is still very strong, especially in the situations you mentioned, however I could easily say the same thing about essence drain, doom, vertical push, glimpse of death, steal life, blink, etc. All of those don't cost 80 nora and water though.

DonK101st likes this.
  5. fogandsteel

fogandsteel I need me some PIE!

At least you know that your opponent spent 80 Nora, so you don't feel so bad.

Tweek516, sirvile, newsbuff and 2 others like this.
  6. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

This and the watergen investment(it's never free).

fogandsteel and MaruXV like this.
  7. Elric

Water is actually pretty easy for FS to generate though. On some champs like Swamp Thing it gives so many benefits too.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  8. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

I think it was sarcasm.

9. Elric

I don't think they all were being sarcastic. I think some actually think that it's a nora investment for FS to create water. ;)

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  10. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

It is. The investment does more than just enable drown and tends to justify its cost without drown, but there is still an investment.

DiCEM0nEY likes this.
  11. Elric

I think that Drown stifles the game by making it that it is unreliable to play against FS with any champ with too high of a starting Nora cost.

12. Elric

No, most of those are just spells that do damage.

Doom is in a case by itself. It's not instakill though as it takes time for the unit to die.

Blink just removes them from play temporarily.

Drown is the only one that just kills the champ outright.

13. polltroy

polltroy I need me some PIE!

I kind of liked chasm kill, even though I never ever used it myself... better limit knockback effects a lot. why u can so easily bounce around enemies? to me this sucks, better let me teleport around

14. JazzMan1221

JazzMan1221 Better-Known Member

Meanwhile SP has the best insta-kill spell in the game, but nobody ever remembers that one. Fine by me though, the less people know about my secret strats the better. ;)

15. super71

Vertical push, I agree.

16. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

How is VP an instakill? It's an overpriced situational rune that people run to reset superchamps or scaling poops that people invest too much nora(but don't bother to give Shielded) into.

17. super71

Get champ to 20 health, which in today's game is 2.5 hits on most champs. Vertical push, the unit is killed. People refer to everything differently, in my opinion anything that is going to easily guarantee a killed champ to me and has few counter plays is an insta kill.

It's not overpriced at all it does 20 damage, and entirely removes a champ from play briefly.

18. Elric

Actually, no, that's really NOT an instakill. In today's game, 2.5 hits really doesn't get the enemy champ to 20 hit points, but then again, I've been seeing a lot of ST these days, and ST's hit points are through the roof.

The nora to damage ratio for this spell is actually not even that good. It is useful for the champ reset in case you are facing a super champ though.

19. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

He meant onus of kiergana, not vertical push (which is inefficient if used as an instakill spell btw)

You people hurt my brain

JazzMan1221 likes this.
  20. super71

Like I said people refer to things differently, in my perspective it is an insta kill because of what I listed above. To say that the spell isn't good is silly, it can either kill a champ, remove it, or allow you to move a problematic champ until you have tools to deal with it, or help you claim a font. The versatility of the spell alone is worth it's cost.

If it's so horrible, why do I still see it used in every sp game I watch ?