[IS Champion Concept] - Northern Cross Agent

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Markoth, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The combination of Preparation and Bolt on a stealth melee unit has always intrigued me. It allows the unit to "sneak around" and strike from outside detection range to get close to its target.

Name: Northern Cross Agent
    [​IMG]

Art: http://joshcorpuz85.deviantart.com/

Size: Small
    Race: Human
    Class: Rogue, Priest
    Flavor Text: The brighter the light for which we fight, the darker the shadows from which we strike. Justice will find the unrighteous wherever they may hide. -Creed of the Shadowguard

Stats:
    Cost: 75
    HP: 47
    Def: 0
    Speed: 6
    Rng: 1-2
    Dam: 9

Abilities:
    Attack: Holy (Fire Damage with a different animation)
    Preparation
    Bolt

U1:
    Stealth (Default)
    Shadowspawn (-5 Nora)
    Hidden: Rock (-3 Nora)

U2:
    Illuminate (Default)
    Mark (-1 Nora)
    Mark of Al'Mara (+2 Nora)

• What role is this Rune intend to fill?
      • I believe I explained it well at the top of the post.
    • Why isn't this Rune's role being fulfilled by similar Runes?
      • Closest rune would be Nightwatch which is great for dwarf decks but lacks the thematic elements for the Northern Cross Inquisition.
    • How is this Rune different from what is already in Pox Nora?
      • I really wanted to play to the Rogue archetype of lurking in the shadows and then striking at the opportune moment to change the course of a fight. I feel that the upgrades can be modified to the players preferences depending on what they are looking for. Bolt allows the unit to get up close to its target for the following turn and Shadowguard will give him the bulk to survive till the next turn. Assault along with Bolt makes him an effective anti-ranged unit as he can dash in and lock up a unit. Opportunistic along with Preparation allows him to build for a single strong moment if he wishes. Swordbreaker solves the Inquisitions lack of disarm options but at the cost of one of the other valuable abilities. Please remember that he can only have two upgrades.
    • How is this Rune competitive and why would it be used over other Runes?
      • It fits a role that is yet unfilled within a specific theme. It brings strong benefits but at the expense of not having the typical synergy found in an Inquisition deck. Not being a Paladin or Priest does not allow it to benefit from Commander: Paladin or the healing typically found within the deck.
    • What makes this Rune unique and fun to use?
      • I believe I explained it well at the top of the post.
    Edit Log:
    3/8/14: Removed Opportunistic from Upgrades
    3/8/14: Added Holy Blade to Upgrades
    4/30/14: Lowered HP to 47 from 49
    6/29/15:

• Added Art
    • Updated for modern upgrades.
    • Adjusted stats.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

i like the concept of the ability shadowguard but the name doesn't seem to be appropriate it would make more sense if it triggered while stealthed but that would serve no purpose

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    xRugolth likes this.
  3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Have any suggestions for a name? I found Shadowguard appropriate in the context of it being the name of a sect of the Inquisition (see flavor text) but I understand your concern and am open for suggestion.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

I wonder what makes him a northern cross champion other than the lore. Maybe he could get mark of the cross and lose damage to even it out and give him some synergy, because, as it is now, you could tell me that is a salaman or a nefari and it would fit all the same.

5. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

He could fit in any faction or theme really. I just wanted to put the ability combinations together and the Inquisition/IS is the theme I am most familiar with.

6. KingJad

KingJad I need me some PIE!

I like this

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Thanks
    Is there a better theme that you can think of? I can revamp the rune for race etc.

8. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

No, I was just wondering why did you call it northern cross agent when it didn't has any direct synergy (other than his role and swordbreaker) with the paladins, the design is interesting and I like it, but I simply thought that it required something more to deserve the northern cross name. Basically you did a perfectly neutral rune

9. Senshu

Senshu Administrator Octopi

Really nice job answering the questions. This rune does seem to have a well defined role. I have noted this rune suggestion. The note will have a link to this thread.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Alternatively what would you guys think about an ability that gives +1 damage for 2 turns (1 round) each time an ally is healed and lower the base damage 2-3 to add synergy within the Inquisition theme?

11. Tarth

Tarth Devotee of the Blood Owl

Seems like a night watch brother in arms. They could both be a priestly order of intrigue or assassins for the inquisition.

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Went ahead and swapped Opportunistic for a new ability I described in my last post. For now I have called it Holy Blade though I am also considering the name Judging Strikes.

xRugolth likes this.
  13. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Updated for modern stat and upgrade systems and added art.