[IS Champion Concept] Northern Cross Purger

Discussion in 'Rune Ideas and Suggestions' started by Markoth, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

My attempt at a rune that would fit the Paladin theme without actually being a Paladin, Priest or Shaman. He has a couple "new" (I have used them in previous concepts) mechanics such as Reload and Holy Weapon. Reload would allow him to continue as a ranged champion provided that he collects Nora globes regularly. Holy Weapon would let him boost his damage due to Paladins numerous healing sources and over time become quite powerful. His second upgrade tree is where the fun begins. Each of the choices provides powerful synergy within paladins. Purging Flames would proc off his own attacks but also Branded attacks by other Paladins. Fire Acolyte would work with Holy Weapons allowing him to boost his damage consistently. Flame Charge would be his cheapest build and allow him to boost Branded damage. All three would be powerful choices and any choice would be at the expense of losing out on the other options.

Northern Cross Purger

[​IMG]
    Art from: http://joshcorpuz85.deviantart.com/

Race: Barbarian
    Class: Ranger

Cost: 69
    Dam: 8 | Spd: 6 | Rng: 2-4 | Def: 2 | HP: 48

Abilities:
    Attack: Pistol
    Reload - (3 Nora) - When this champion collects a Nora globe it's Ammunition is reset.
    Holy Weapons - (6 Nora) - The first time that a champion is healed during each of your turns, this champion gains +2 Damage and Attack: Fire for 3 turns.

U1:
    Ammunition 1 (-4 Nora)
    Ammunition 2 (Default)

U2:
    Fire Acolyte (+2 Nora)
    Flame Charge (-2 Nora)
    Purging Flames (Default)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Ohmin and Leadrz like this.
  2. NiGhtMaRiK

NiGhtMaRiK I need me some PIE!

I love everything about this guy except for his cost and race.
    I feel he should be 71-75 nora.
    He doesn't look anything like a Barb at all to me. Race Human i think would be just as fine.

I love the Reload idea and Holy weapons is a neat concept.
    All his U2's are synergistic and thematic.

If it was me, id want this guy relased as a midterm leg.

3. JaceDragon

JaceDragon I need me some PIE!

Nice concept

4. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Thank you for the comments. The cost was determined using the old formula so it is +/- a few points and depending on how Reload and Holy Weapons are costed its entirely possible he could be a bit under or over costed. He is kinda cheap because of Ammunition which is a negative modifier as well as his low starting damage.
    As much as I hate it the reason he is a Barbarian is because Humans in IS are Barbarians. There are a scattered few that got missed (Isran and Crusader) but generally all Humans in IS are supposed to be Barbarians.

5. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

its funny i thought of reload ages ago when they were discussing about possible change to ammunition

6. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

7. chickenpox2

chickenpox2 I need me some PIE!

in my suggestions i said it gives ammunition only when it over so it cannot be used too many times problem is 1 globe is enough to reset which too op

8. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

The reason I think it wouldn't be OP is this. Ammo 1 is -8 Nora. Ammo 2 is -4 Nora. Reload costed at 3 would mean that Ammo 1 would be -5 Nora total. Ammo 2 would be -1 Nora. Assuming a 10 damage, 6 speed champion (This guy starts at 8 so the power is even further reduced) 2-4 range costs about 12 Nora. Most people will take Ammo 2 instead of Ammo 1 so the champion is paying 11 Nora instead of 12 Nora for its range. If a similar champion was created with the same stats and abilities but without Ammo and Reload it would only cost 1 Nora more than the champion with Ammo and Reload even though the champion without doesnt have to worry about it's range ever being reduced.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
    Ohmin and darklord48 like this.
  9. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

What the art reminded me of: All I ever wanted was for Northern Cross Paladins to become The Protectorate of Menoth

You could even translate the Warjacks into Paladin Constructs.

Mmmm, Paladin Constructs...

In any event, I like this, and Reload is interesting to say the least, it would be a net loss I believe with Ammunition 3, but then again no one ever liked Ammuntion 3 (and it's not an option on this particular rune) so I don't have a problem with it.

10. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

What would you guys think if his attack was changed to Attack: Pistol and Holy Weapons was changed to:

Holy Weapons - (6 Nora) - The first time that a champion is healed during each of your turns, this champion gains +1 Damage. When this unit's DMG modifier is greater than 4 it gains Attack: Fire.

Think Kayle's E from LoL. Similar mechanic to Battlefiend. It would open up the ability to other champions but at the expense of losing a bit of synergy between Fire Acolyte and the ability.

11. Xirone

Xirone I need me some PIE!

Really awesome concept. I agree with Nightmarik that it could be a decent mid-term legendary. I think I'd like it better, though, as a champion with Race: Angel and Class: Rogue.

12. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

That would be awesome. Not sure how it would effect viability with Flight tacked on though. Doesnt change much but pushes it from a high60-low70 to a high 70 nora champ.

13. Ohmin

Ohmin Forum Royalty

Leave off the Flight? Those "wings" are clearly insufficient for such activitities. And not all Angels need to be able to Fly (at least not if it comes to rune balance).

14. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Well you could put the kit on any race. The art is just for the suggestion and wouldnt be the art of the actual rune if it was created. All angels currently in the game have Flight so its assumed that an angel version would have it. That said it would be totally badass to have a flightless angel that had its wings clipped or taken after it decided to fight alongside the "mortals".

Ohmin likes this.
  15. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

Played around with the numbers a bit and dropping his defense to 1 frees up 4-5 Nora so Flight could possibly fit for an angel build.

Leadrz likes this.
  16. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

• Changed base attack to Attack: Pistol.
    • Changed Holy Weapons to cap the damage (If you are chaining heals the max it will ever have is +4) and grant Attack: Fire (Think Kayle's Sword igniting from LoL) upon heals.
    • Added an apostrophe to Reload description.