Is Space Wars the end of Poxnora?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by nitebane21, Dec 12, 2017.

1. nitebane21

nitebane21 I need me some PIE!

I think we've all noticed the lack of attention this game has been receiving lately. Heck, the marketplace is still offering Octoberfest packs.

However over in Space Wars land, things are hopping. Mods are quick to respond to suggestions, large-scale updates and features are planned and it seems like DOG' is very focused on Space Wars. DOG is still a team of 5 so its not like they can really devote resources to multiple titles, especially since Poxnora is more of a passion project than something that will ever be turned into a mainstream game.

I wasn't in closed beta and it appears the game has been in development for at least 18mo, during which time a lot was done with Poxnora. But I can't help but wonder if DOG had hoped Playstation would provide enough players and revenue to allow Poxnora to be ignored for awhile and when instead the new interface drove everyone away they just said "Eff it" and threw all resources into Space Wars. It seems like that was the last big hurrah for Poxnora and little attention has been paid to it since.

What do you think? Am I being pessimistic? Is there hope this game will see some life again?

2. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

If you'd come to Discord, you'd know there's more life to Pox than you'd ever expect. :p

3. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

It should be noted that DOG does not own Space Wars and that the Space Wars devs are completely separate.

Tweek516 and Kampel like this.
  4. nitebane21

I go by number of matches, how often there are updates, how responsive devs are, that sort of thing.

5. nitebane21

Are you sure? (not sarcasm, genuine question) I glanced around the forums and saw Gedden and Senshu were both admins, plus it says "our game" on the desertowlgames.com home page.

space wars.png

6. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

has anyone here tried it? i would, but the art/theme/design seem too boring/generic

7. Markoth

Markoth Lord Inquisitor

They were paid by a 3rd party to develop the game for them.

8. MrBadguy

MrBadguy Guest

Doubt it.

9. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

I don't really fancy Space Wars, and I have no time to learn another complex game, but there's plenty going on on Pox.

10. nitebane21

Its kinda neat, but literally 90% of the game is spent waiting for your turn. Every player gets 1min for combat and there can often be 20 players on the map.

11. Kampel

Kampel I need me some PIE!

Space Wars and the Winter Huntsman game thing are the only thing that kept money flowing to DOG to keep pox plugged. I dont really see it as a negative thing nor i think it is to blame for Pox problems.

I tryed it for 20 mins, did the tutorial but havent had the time to really test it

12. nitebane21

Ah, well thats good. The downside is they just ended closed beta and are in open beta with a ton of planned features including 2 more races. So I don't think the devs will be wrapping up anytime soon.

I guess I overlooked whatever is going on. I stopped when the new client came out and everyone stopped playing to wait for fixes. Was too hard to get games. I checked in during mid-terms but didn't see anything exciting. Now I look again and mid-terms still for sale, Octoberfest still for sale, no mention of Holiday Sale, no updates, no mention of an upcoming expansion and the recently posted State of Poxnora is not very encouraging. I love this game, so I certainly hope it doesn't die a slow death, but I think the more gets moved down the priority list the harder it will be to bring back.

13. Etherielin

@nitebane21 Pox on low burn:
    [​IMG]

We're all on Discord, including (from time to time) Sokobro. You won't see much life in game, because all of it has moved onto Discord until global and guild chats stop wiping themselves.

EDIT: More activity propaganda:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Destorum likes this.
  14. ghinion13

ghinion13 The King of Potatoes

Dear nitebane21, I do not agree with you. I think pox Nora is incredible, why? Because its not a cash grab, many other card collection games print a new expansion every 3 months making u have to buy pax upon pax, because u need cards to play the game. I played Nora on release and I can still use my old runs, that is amassing, no other game is like this. If there are imbalance or errors u can report them and the teem will look at it. And I don't want tons of new content which then is just imbalanced. About the packs, watts wrong with them? Pox is a combination of card games and chess, and the game chess hasn't changed for hundreds of years. Pox added new packs, eliminate bugs, I am happy with how pox is handled and I hop it wont change, or it will become a cash grab, like other card games. So that is why I think pox is good, there are not many players which is sad, but the teem behind pox is every active. That is what I think

Fentum likes this.
  15. nitebane21

Currently at 9:45pm EST there are 9 active PVP games. Not great, but better than a lot of games this old I suppose. I hopped on Discord briefly but I was never crazy about chatrooms.

16. Etherielin

Indeed - we had 15 games going on at once about 3 days ago.

17. nitebane21

Just noticed that Ranked Games and Custom Games appear to show the same match list. Hard to know if its better to queue for ranked or non-ranked that way.

18. newsbuff

newsbuff Forum Royalty

there's dozens of us. DOZENS!

BurnPyro likes this.
  19. Fentum

Fentum I need me some PIE!

There’s fahsannz ov ‘em! FAHSANNZ!

Steady boys...

20. nitebane21

I bet if they got rid of the CCG aspect and just made it a game you could purchase with expansion packs/dlc people would start playing more.

bambino and Fentum like this.