Language...

Discussion in 'Forglar Swamp' started by IMAGIRL, Sep 8, 2014.

1. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I assume your referring to the Jakei Frostwings. They are obviously just Jakei with wings. Hard to make a direct comparison between this and that. Especially because I don't see a Green Jakei. XD

#Limitedreskin
    #Theregoesmytheory
    #Damnit

Leadrz likes this.
  2. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Jakeis dont muate as much as mirefolk... that's all. "Sea dudes" it's ok for me. Just look at the numbers, they are SO FEW.

3. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

They are kind of "Beast" fillers as other factions have.

The clunch of "I can invent whatever here" units.

4. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

1. You use that word. I don't think you know what it means....
    clunch
    Line breaks: clunch
    Pronunciation: /klʌn(t)ʃ /
    NOUN
    [MASS NOUN] British
    Soft limestone capable of being easily worked:

2. I see your point to an extent. However. Pirahnids could easily be expanded just as the Hyaenids were. Circadian. Is... A... Race. ;) Now that you have pointed it out. I think Fentek might need to join them. At least in the Mer category.

Leadrz likes this.
  5. Entrepidus

Entrepidus I need me some PIE!

Forgive the excessive snipping, but I preserved context where appropriate
    Not all Mirefolk are aquatic. In fact, several aren't even semi-aquatic! Unilaterally shifting Mirefolk to Aquatic (assuming you include Semi-Aquatic) would exclude champions like Corrupted Overlord (a Cecaelia) Pirahnid Warrior and all Fentek (including Voodo Shamfie) while expanding to include various champions from a wide range of races that would seem arbitrary. Mirefolk [SOMETHING] abilities already affect all friendly champions and provide additional exclusive benefits to Mirefolk to establish its own theme alongside vanilla (semi)aquatics.

Circadian is not a race, but the Cecaelia and Merfolk that comprise it are as you admit later on:
    I think you're misinterpreting what "Circadian" means. Ignoring all real-world references ("Circe," "circa" etc.), I see it as a title for a group of creatures/humanoids which may or may not be from a place known as "Circadia." Just like I would call myself an American from Oregon, this group of races call themselves Circadians not because it is their race, but because it is the identifying name of their collective. The Elsari of FW are an example of this, but the races they are comprised of are currently robust enough to support individual races unlike the Mirefolk.

Using this as a reference point, I'd like to point out that you didn't define what a Mermaid/Mermain is in the OP. Pulling both from real world mythology and Pox lore, the following physical characteristics largely define each of the races in question (I've added one for comparison purposes):

Cecaelia
    Humanoid upper body with octopus-like lower body.
    Firk
    Octopus-like upper body with humanoid lower body.

Mermaid/Merman
    Humanoid upper body with fish-like lower body.
    Pirahnid
    Fish-like (piranha) upper body with humanoid lower body.
    Fentek
    Humanoid with fish-like adaptations for an aquatic environment.

I don't think it's a mistake that both Cecaelia and Princess Ctharia have Attack: Psychic (like their Firk counterparts) to establish octopus-like humanoids as Psychic while fish-like humanoids are entirely (correct me if I'm wrong) devoid of Psychic damage.

Consider the Draksar and compare:

Draksar Explorer (wings!)
    to​
    Broodguardians (long neck)
    to​
    Serpentor Ardent (no legs!)
    to​
    Draksar High Marshal (big horns!)
    to​
    Homicidal Thug (fairly humanoid).​

I picked these at random, but continuing through the list I see even more variations to Draksar. But! It makes sense because they are, in essence, Dragonoids. Mirefolk are the Draksar equivalent of (semi)aquatic humanoids; they just happen to be based on octopi/fish.

Goyo likes this.
  6. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Circadian refers to changes in an individual. It would make sense when u apply that to the rites being performed on the pirahnids granting them alternative damage types (lightning). Circadian Vault granting temporary transformation of damage to champions within an aoe. I see Circadians as more of a sub race like Hekatians. An elite faction within the race that leads the rest of them.

7. Paper Skull

Paper Skull I need me some PIE!

Well Draksar are themed to be an amalgamation of other races that have been mutated, so it's not a perfect comparison, but I do agree.

8. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I shortened your post to this. Forgive me, but I have not read enough of your post to do a full response. I will try to later.

Circadian are more Elf/Fish than the Mirefolk Vixen and Mirefolk Stalker which are more human/fish. So from your categories above. Circadians do not fit. Vixen and Stalker do. They are also directly named Mirefolk. Circadians are not native to the Forglar Swamp. To group them with natives is... why? They have their own political system, their own magics, their own armies.

Similar to how the Jakei were just Elfs, that migrated north, and ended up as Jakei over a long period of time. The Circadians's could very well be elves that just migrated to a very wet climate and just adapted over time. Similarly; the Jakei is a race, even though they are still Elfs. Why do we not call them Elfs? Because... They have their own political system and standing armies. (Neither of which can be said for the Fentek or Pirahnids.) The Jakei are distinct from their K'thir brethren. The Circadian are distinct from Mirefolk.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Leadrz likes this.
  9. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

"A group of people from a swamp" more like.
    Do Circadians not actually live in the Forglar Swamp?

I don't think the races need to be split, though. There would be too few of each (only ~3 Fentek, for example)

The Jakei are also in a completely different faction than all of the elves (barring Ancestor).
    See also, Deepelf, and the change to actually make them elves and demons (which was, AFAIK, a gameplay concern, which Mirefolk as a race is, IMO)

10. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I am not saying to split the Fentek. Just the Circadian. They actually do not "live" in the swamp. They are outsiders. Their homes are elsewhere.

Leadrz likes this.
  11. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

@Moles1909 Why haven't you seen my interview of Kartch, The Finlord. ='(

Leadrz likes this.
  12. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Which is why it's odd that Dwarves mutate into Skeezick instead.
    ONLY dwarves, as far as I can tell.

13. Goyo

Goyo I need me some PIE!

Draksar were humans ;)

14. Centuros

Centuros Active Member

Charger is a Centaur that was mutated.
    So they aren't ALL humans.
    There are some others, too, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that are confirmed to have been nonhuman (though I strongly suspect Draksar Marine was a Mirefolk or something)

Goyo likes this.
  15. GabrielQ

GabrielQ I need me some PIE!

If you see, at first, only the humans and dwarves of valdac were mutated when the cathastrophe happened. The further inclusion of other races is a thing that is provoked by the draksars themselves, that know how to extend their "gift" to others.

Goyo likes this.
  16. MentalMoles

MentalMoles I need me some PIE!

I have now! very good. I wanted to get him on for me, but he chose you instead :(

17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

I thought you would find that entertaining. XD

Leadrz likes this.