Last attempt at saving UD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nepyonisdead, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Wouldn't this end up in collateral damage? He's the only rune it's an issue on.

2. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

I disagree. It's an issue on a few of the units with it. If some unit with Prep is not great even with Prep, that indicates a far deeper problem with that champion or theme.

MogaBait likes this.
  3. nepyonisdead

nepyonisdead I need me some PIE!

not really 10 range arrow singers are also unbalanced so yeah prep nerf is probably ok

4. Etherielin

Etherielin The Floof Cultist

Okay. Should we separate the discussion from this to have a talk about preparation or keep it here? Just wondering what runes you think are problematic with it.

5. davre

davre The Benevolent Technofascist

The only prep champ that's ever left me wanting more was silent master (where it's an upgrade) where it doesn't quite fit because you want to be attacking every turn with him to proc the warcry. And even then you still end up picking preparation over all the other options because it's Firking preparation.

6. Alakhami

Alakhami I need me some PIE!

Cause Bok are Firking awesome? I thought that was pretty self-evident.

It's good that you said that but I assumed that anyways so I always --when it comes to balance ideas -- tried to do my best to think of ways of reworking stuff so that it requires minimum potential work.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. calisk

calisk I need me some PIE!

heh st will take one for the team, nerf preperation it will hurt silent master but we will just have to live with it, I'm not sure how we will survive without such an essential unit but oh well ;)

8. Tweek516

Tweek516 I need me some PIE!

Saying again that I think prep is fine on ranged champs, but is incredibly broken on melee champs. Why was it ever put on melee champs tbh. The value of it on a ranged champion Vs a melee champion is so differs so hugely that you can't price the ability the same for both scenarios.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Ballballer and Etherielin like this.
  9. nepyonisdead

nah mate I love you but saying that 10 range arrow singers is fine is just like a Firk you to logic and reason

10. Tweek516

When was the last time you saw that champion run in a competitive bg for purely gameplay reasons?

Rune is expensive, slow, and fragile with medium/low base damage. She's fine.

11. PoxAurora

PoxAurora The King of Potatoes

Nope, was entirely a thought exercise when swarm spider got brought up. The few times I've seen spiders recently, they were solid but just lacked something to make them tier 1.

The problem that stuck out in those games was that it didn't quite generate enough hp on board vs how fast units died or that it had problems with 1 rounding. Seemed like you traded spiderlings or heavier units off with each other. The regular units just couldn't compete tier 1 and if you went more spiderlings you couldn't quite 1 round without losing a ton of meat and having little regular unit backup. Basically the regular units aren't quite tier 1 and the spiderlings spam option isn't skeletons spammy/damaging enough. Just my uninformed impression from watching a few games, not really a ton of players to watch.

Might be a a bit nora constrained on those power turns from keeping meat up too now that I think on it.

Alakhami and Gnomes like this.
  12. nepyonisdead

When was culler seen outside me and mogabait playing him :) the same logic applies where out of the blue he was picked to be nerfed and in my book its better to nerf something across the board than to nerf a champion by itself for the sake of fairness

13. Tweek516

Huh? Culler is played in a ton of bgs. Sorry but I will defend my arrowsinger with tooth and claw;)

14. Sokolov

I suspect that 10 HP Swarming Spiderlings will just be neat more than actually having much balance impact, especially if it replaces Poison.

15. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

carrionlings are already doing the comedy swarm

Woffleet likes this.
  16. Sokolov

True.

Woffleet likes this.
  17. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

they kill my sides

But not my champions

18. PoxAurora

PoxAurora The King of Potatoes

As Badger said, carrionlings are pretty comedy (as is the colossus himself - poor worms). I'd probably not start with swarm for spider tweaks.

I think spiders *need* boost. Past that maybe guard and/or improve range. Would be curious about those impacts before getting too creative.

19. Sokolov

As I said, it wouldn't really be intended to be balance focused. But yes, it's true Carrionlings already do that, but the thematic does fit spiders too. It's mostly flavor.

Someone suggested something fancier with spawning eggs, and they already do that in several ways... plus it's a new ability. But actually, maybe I can just take Arachnablade's ability and stick it on some specific spiders?

One thing to note is that I am generally not interested in using stat buffs like that to shore up themes. It leads to a bad place. That said, Spiders don't really do stat buffs right now, so having access to SOMETHING is probably ok. But Boost/HP is considered Goblin's shitck in UD for me, but Improve Range (and other things like Ranged Stance) is something I can certainly see in Spiders.

20. themacca

themacca Master of Challenges

you could use web terrain more loosely & use it to give speed benefits to spiders

Alakhami likes this.