lavaspout, why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Compost, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Sokolov

Sokolov The One True Cactuar Octopi

As long as the CD of Rapid Growth creates a scenario where it can be used 2 times or more before the champ dies, it'll be potentially infinite. If can only be used once, then it'll never grow beyond 2 or 3, depending on exact timing of death.

2. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

What I mean is emulating a real population function (which eventually tapers off due to resource depletion or predator surges, etc.), but I don't really know how you could implement that mathematically or as an ability. I'm just a chemist :p

Something that should keep it from going out of bounds: Short lived X + An ability that says "for every Y champions that share a name with this one all activated abilities on this champion have + 1 CD". The bounds depending on X and Y. How much work would that be? :p

3. Sokolov

I think the best way to think about Rapid Growth champions is to calculate the value per rune over time. Every time it replicates, you are reducing the cost of the units by the value of an addition champion.

So at 70 nora (for easy calc), the Lavaspout on 1st division is 35 nora each. On the next division (which will spawn 2 if they both are used) it becomes 17.5 nora. Here we see that it rapidly becomes extremely cost efficiently which is the real problem.

Now imagine a scenario where the champion itself only costs 50 nora, but each activation costs 25 nora. This means that on the first division it will be 37.5 nora each (i.e., (50 + 25) / 2). The next time it will be (50 + 25 + 25 + 25) / 4 or 31.25 cost each. This is a much gentler efficiency curve.

Note that abilities in general SHOULD generate some kind of efficiency curve for you. More DMG, more HP, more VALUE.

Another thing with the Lavaspout in particular that the Crystalis doesn't have as much is that the value of Lavaspout outside of Rapid Growth increases with additional Lavaspouts. The per unit value of a Lavaspout when there are 10 out is vastly greater than the per unit value when there is only 1 out.

4. Pattn199

Pattn199 I need me some PIE!

The problem is the combo of abilities it has, remove one of them and the problem is solved.
    For instance if it would have ice eater and flame Nova there wouldn't be any problem.
    Ofc that doesn't make sense but in my eyes it's the combination of Bane Shift it has is what's causing problems.

Rapid growth isn't the problem.

PS. I haven't read most of the other replies today.

JellyBerry likes this.
  5. Ballballer

Ballballer Chief Antagonist

Its a problem because of the lag spike it causes

6. Sokolov

A nora cost tied to Rapid Growth would also mean that it doesn't matter how many champs with the ability you have out, your spam is tied to your nora generation, rather than the number, effectively capping your potential growth at Nora Generation / Activation Cost, while also introducing an opportunity cost each time you use it, rather than front loading all the cost to the champion's Initial Cost.

~

Another one of the interesting things about a nora cost based Rapid Growth is that the average cost trends towards the cost per activation.

This is because the weight of the initial cost of the unit goes down over time, while the weight of the Cost of Activations increases. The function will slowly approach the Cost of Activation, but never quite reach it (assuming the Initial Cost and the Activation Cost aren't equal).

Cost per Unit Created = ( Initial Cost / ( 1 + # of Activations ) ) + ( Activation Cost * # of Activations / ( 1 + # of Activations ) )

What this means, interestingly, is that you can also create a scenario where the Cost per Unit Created goes UP over time, instead of down, simply by making the initial cost lower than the activation cost.

For example, if the unit costs 20 nora initially, and 40 nora to Rapid Growth.

One Unit = 20 Nora / Unit
    Two Units = 30 Nora / Unit
    Three Units = 33.3 Nora / Unit
    Four Units = 35 Nora / Unit
    And so on.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  7. Sokolov

This is an awkward thing with these kinds of units, as it means none of the "basic" functions can be part of the upgrade lines. One approach would be to have the upgrade lines be things like Stat Bonus HP so that the "head" unit is stronger in some way but not mechanically different.

It might also be interesting to have U2 be Lumbering, which would mean that the copies don't have Lumbering. It could also be done with Immobile as well, creating a situation where the copies behave differently than the head.

Lumbering base + Immobile on upgrades would also have a similar effect.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  8. profhulk

profhulk Forum Royalty

Honestly I would be happy if you changed lavaspout ability fire eater to fire immune and remove lava front.

9. Boozha

Boozha I need me some PIE!

10. Sokolov

Yea Rapid could be an exception but I kind of like the idea of the main having immobile and sending out mobile ones now that cost Nora.

All of those are possibly except for the CD one.

11. badgerale

badgerale Warchief of Wrath

I like this idea, not sure how strong it would be but it is a cool idea.

12. Pattn199

There wouldn't be lag if the thing was killable

13. Ballballer

Not really true at all

14. Pattn199

Then either you need a better pc or be patient for the new client to arrive. I had a game against them the other day and they dint make me lag one bit

Pox had been on for several hours

15. Ballballer

Theres a dude running a deck with lavaspouts specifically just to exploit the lag spike. Idk what to tell you

16. Pattn199

Guess it dint work for me then.
    Anyway, what causes the lag spikes?
    I'm assuming it's because of the spam and novas?
    So if you make them killable why wouldn't that solve the lag spike?
    Atm you can't kill them because of fire eater +Nova
    Change that+ rapid growth at cd3

17. IMAGIRL

IMAGIRL Forum Royalty

To be honest. I don't mind fighting this. It's the lag spikes that bother me more than anything.

mortal ix likes this.
  18. Ballballer

The strategy is to just sit them behind your shrine/out of the way and stall the game to the point where your opponent lags too much to really do anything. Making them killable means you jave to get to their shrine in the first place, which can be very hard to do on some maps, and can be countered by the lavaspouts spreading out

profhulk and super71 like this.
  19. Pattn199

Thanks for the explanation, I still feel everyone is trying to over change the rune tho

20. Excalibur95

Excalibur95 I need me some PIE!

finally. i have to add to all this i play fw, i have 2x anathemea onboard... a player got lavaspouts out, i rushed over as quick as i could there was a good blob of them i cast 2 anathemea they all died... it was a miracle i got over there in time, the fact i had to cast 2 around 50 nora spells though.

then ....

he just deployed another lavaspout... absolutely nothing i could do, i lost.

most games i cant even get to the lavaspouts or have the right spells revealed, never won against lavaspouts.

see my post here...

http://forums.poxnora.com/index.php?threads/so-nora-gem-and-soultap.16056/#post-314976

lavaspout needs to be nerfed to beyond all recognition. its just too broken to alter.